cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Sword Art Online" has me wondering.

CausticPixel
Honored Guest
If you've seen the show, you know that it takes place in an MMO. The Nerve Gear, the console it's played on, creates true virtual reality, where your body stays still while you roam in the world laid out before you as you would in real life. I'd always dreamed of gaming like this, even as a child. Fast forward a few months after watching the show, I hear about this thing called the "Oculus Rift," which, as you know, brings us closer to virtual reality than ever before. Do you guys think something like the Nerve Gear is possible? If so, how far off would you imagine it to be? If not, what's your reasoning?
7 REPLIES 7

MikeArms24
Honored Guest
I think VR will quickly race to that point now. Technology is progressing at an exponential pace. The first part of VR was the visual, which took decades but is here now and will become more and more realistic with time. The audio part is here, many are already physically running around in their living rooms in VR while playing games, using every sense except smell, touch (probably the toughest and last one one to recreate), and taste. Then some Palmer Luckey of the future will come up with Nerve gear, and it will be so real that many people will resist unplugging. That kind of VR will probably be too good.
Riftmax Theater 4D Multiplayer VR Cinema! http://www.riftmax.com - Latest DK2-ready version 0.415(11/27/2014)

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
I think that wireless nerve communication (with something that just touches our heads just like the nervegear) will be easier and cheaper in the future than impanting thousands of chips in our brain which would also require expensive surgery. Another device that would make 100% realistic VR possible is to connect detachable nanobots to our brain via the insides of our nose (which would be the most effective imo). It isn't really that far away, we don't even need to emulate our whole brain, we just need to communicate to the parts that control our senses and receive feedback input accordingly for our body movement (this includes speech, as speech is just the movement combination of our tongue, mouth and vocal chords).

We really are a lot closer than we think 😄

Mazhurg
Honored Guest
"mstdesigns" wrote:
Another device that would make 100% realistic VR possible is to connect detachable nanobots to our brain via the insides of our nose (which would be the most effective imo).

Already exists, all you need is a good straw and some of those "white nanobots" to access that VR...

:lol:

MegaJenkins
Honored Guest
I would be happy with some .hack stuff. Rift (visuals)+ Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation (Balance/movement)+ Neurosky(moving without moving) + Surround Studio Monitors (Sound)+ The World(game) = 😄
Current GVS systems worry me safety-wise for gaming, however this may change as things are improved/replaced.

Can't say I really would want to eat anything in a game, but the only plausible way to get somewhat accurate tastes without actually eating stuff would be a tube in your mouth with mystery liquid that targets your taste receptors. : O-

Hook up some tasers and restraints for minor-pain/paralysis simulation.

I've no suggestions for smell stimulation, which has a big impact on taste.
😉

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
"MegaJenkins" wrote:
I would be happy with some .hack stuff. Rift (visuals)+ Galvanic Vestibular Stimulation (Balance/movement)+ Neurosky(moving without moving) + Surround Studio Monitors (Sound)+ The World(game) = 😄
Current GVS systems worry me safety-wise for gaming, however this may change as things are improved/replaced.

Can't say I really would want to eat anything in a game, but the only plausible way to get somewhat accurate tastes without actually eating stuff would be a tube in your mouth with mystery liquid that targets your taste receptors. : O-

Hook up some tasers and restraints for minor-pain/paralysis simulation.

I've no suggestions for smell stimulation, which has a big impact on taste.
😉

The sense of smell can already be implemented, there are devices that are expensive and can produce 100 thousand different smells. As for taste, other than targeting the receptors we also have to find a way to replicate the swallowing-going down the esophagus feel and the stuffing of our stomach, otherwise it will feel fake as hell 😛

jrspradlin
Honored Guest
what next? colostomy bags and in game restrooms? :shock:

Swallowing is easy. It is a muscle reaction. If a 'nervegear' intercepts muscle input then the act of swallowing could be mimicked. It is the senses that are hard to mimic.

Since the tongue is divided into regions for different tastes, a small film with electric shockers could stimulate different areas. Think of the taste when you stuck the 9v to your tongue :twisted: (didn't everyone do this as a kid?). A few millivolts in a specific area can give the sense of sweet, salty, sour, etc.

The problem! If we intercept muscle input and stimulate the tongue your mouth will water but you will not swallow. Choking could be a huge problem.

mstdesigns
Honored Guest
Eating without swallowing feels lame though. I have tried it (ate a small bite and spit it) and it sucks hard. I say we are better off without taste until we make it good enough. Taste will probably be the hardest one to pull off. Other than the swallowing, you also feel the cold/warm heat effect on your larynx while you swallow as well as the texture of your bite. A biscuit feels different than ice cream which feels different than a soft drink. It is probably one of our most complex senses.