New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is this PSU good enough?

Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
Neo
edited March 2016 in Off-Topic
I am building my first pc and i have ordered all the parts, which was a long journey of more than 3 weeks heavy researching to make sure that i'll be happy with my system. That lead me to just order the thing at last cause i couldn't bare it anymore but i have doubts about my psu.

My system:

Z170 Premium
I7 6700k
GTX 980 TI Strix DC3OC-6GD5-Gaming
32 GB Crucial Ballistic Sport DDR4 2400Mhz
HDD and a SSD

PSU: Super Flower Leadex 550W 80+ platinium

I know there definitely isn't room for much OC if anything at all, but will it power my system suffeiciently enough not to hamper perfomance and not break down. I hope it will do, it's good quality but a little short of desired wattage.

Comments

  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    How many watts?
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Oh, i somehow forgot to write that, it's 550 watts.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    The superflower leadex's are good PSUs.

    I really would say 600watt is the absolute minimum for that system so it might scrape by but I wouldn't recommend it at all.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    Nvidia's spec page for the 980ti recommends 600W or greater. I wouldn't risk it with the 550W psu.

    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications

    Where'd you order the parts from? Most major online retail stores have good return policies so I'd return the PSU and then order a better one. Or if I was in a hurry, I'd go to my local brick & morter Fry's Electornics. Depends on where you are and what's available to you, though.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited March 2016
    Well, that's not good :lol: I was in great doubt about whether i should get an XFX pro series 750w, Seasonic 750w or the Super Flower 550w. I bought the one that i thought was the best PSU, but that doesn't matter much if it isn't powerfull enough. I should have researched a bit more or asked before hand, i was tired of the process taking forever and wanted to be done with it. but i guess i learned my lesson. Maybe i'll have to try to return it, i think it should be possible but will wear on my patience a bit. I have read about people using 980 TI on a 550 watt supply though, but i'm not taking any chances so i wanted more feedback.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    I would generally say get a 750w to give good clearance and be good for future upgrades, if you may want SLI/Crossfire in the not to distant future then go higher.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, 550W will be either cutting it close or not enough.

    On my main dev machine, I went all out and got a 1,500W PSU. LOL! Totally overkill.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Percy1983 wrote:
    I would generally say get a 750w to give good clearance and be good for future upgrades, if you may want SLI/Crossfire in the not to distant future then go higher.
    There wont be any Crossfire/SLI for me in the foreseeable future as i don't have enough money to spend that much on electricity bills, so a 750w is enough. This is really a bummer, i was looking forward to building my pc next week, but i guess it's postponed a bit now. Oh well that's life! Maybe if i'm lucky i can get it cancelled as it ships from a seperate warehouse to the online shops own warehouse before being shipped to me.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, 550W will be either cutting it close or not enough.

    On my main dev machine, I went all out and got a 1,500W PSU. LOL! Totally overkill.

    Are you running Tinas in SLI or something, that is a hefty psu, lol!

    Edit:
    So if i get another one is i guess this is the best quality psu i can get for the price - Seasonic S12G-750.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Well, GTX 980 Tri-SLI. It sounds cooler than it is. SLI is mostly a headache.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Mr.Creepy wrote:
    Well, that's not good :lol: I was in great doubt about whether i should get an XFX pro series 750w, Seasonic 750w or the Super Flower 550w. I bought the one that i thought was the best PSU, but that doesn't matter much if it isn't powerfull enough. I should have researched a bit more or asked before hand, i was tired of the process taking forever and wanted to be done with it. but i guess i learned my lesson. Maybe i'll have to try to return it, i think it should be possible but will wear on my patience a bit. I have read about people using 980 TI on a 550 watt supply though, but i'm not taking any chances so i wanted more feedback.

    Go with the Seasonic. Amazing PSU's
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Well, GTX 980 Tri-SLI. It sounds cooler than it is. SLI is mostly a headache.
    Yes, from what i read it's best to run a single card, but of course some people want more power. I'm just happy i'll go from an old AMD athlon II CPU and AMD Radeon HD 6450, to a Skylake, GTX 980 ti system.
    Go with the Seasonic. Amazing PSU's
    I think i will get the Seasonic S12G-750

    Seasonic, super flower, XFX, and EVGA are all great brands for PSU.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    The psu has been removed from my order as it had not been shipped to me yet, thanks for the advise folks. Now i'll just have to decide which psu i get instead.
  • obzenobzen Posts: 713
    Nexus 6
    980ti + Haswell is around 400w, fully stressed, fully overclocked. I measured mine from the plug, hovering at 320-350W (no overclocking). With really extreme stuff, you could maybe hit 450W.

    Yeah, 550W Gold is the minimum I'd be comfortable with. 650W would be what I'd recommend. Anything above is overkill.

    But there absolutely no downsides in going crazy, apart for your wallet, which BTW, is already fully taxed with a 980ti and a 6700K. So, you know, what the hell, an extra $50 here and there, ...

    850W Platinum it is then (I'm always 'open-minded for SLI).

    Seasonic BTW, are sort of the benchmark in the PSU industry, and that's for the past 10 years. 'Is it as good as a Seasonic'? They design the PSUs of every top brand, apart from Enermax, and some Delta-made PSUs (Antec's?).

    So, good choice, even though the S12G isn't top of the line (not modular?), it'still very high quality. The seasonic X-series is usually wher it's at.
    DK1 FREAK...Ntbt8Ya.gif
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    obzen: Well my budget actually means that 50$ is all it takes for me to not afford it, especially as i have to save all that i can these last months to afford the Rift. I can spend a little more though and i think i will get the EVGA Supernove G2 850w as it gets a 9.9 score on jonnyguru.com and has a 10 years warranty. I have also just found Sea Sonic Platinum Series 660 that has recomended watt capacity and higher effeciency, so i have to a tough choice, i allways want to get the best possible for my money.
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    Well, GTX 980 Tri-SLI. It sounds cooler than it is. SLI is mostly a headache.

    You sir, have too much money! :lol:
  • obzenobzen Posts: 713
    Nexus 6
    Mr.Creepy wrote:
    obzen: Well my budget actually means that 50$ is all it takes for me to not afford it, especially as i have to save all that i can these last months to afford the Rift. I can spend a little more though and i think i will get the EVGA Supernove G2 850w as it gets a 9.9 score on jonnyguru.com and has a 10 years warranty. I have also just found Sea Sonic Platinum Series 660 that has recomended watt capacity and higher effeciency, so i have to a tough choice, i allways want to get the best possible for my money.

    SuperNova G2 is Leadex (SuperFlower also Leadex), will give you SLI capabilities. TBH, I wouldn't spit on either, good PSUs.
    DK1 FREAK...Ntbt8Ya.gif
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Just to add a bit more confusion.

    Running a higher wattage PSU can be more efficient at the same load as a more efficient lower wattage PSU.

    IE I 700w PSU running at 350w will probably be more efficient than a 350w psu running at 350w. In short headroom and not pushing a PSU as hard to its relative peak can be more efficient.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Percy1983 wrote:
    Just to add a bit more confusion.

    Running a higher wattage PSU can be more efficient at the same load as a more efficient lower wattage PSU.

    IE I 700w PSU running at 350w will probably be more efficient than a 350w psu running at 350w. In short headroom and not pushing a PSU as hard to its relative peak can be more efficient.

    I got the EVGA supernova p2 750w, so i have some headroom and platinium effiency. I don't think i could have gotten a better value PSU for the price than this, with platinium certification.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Mr.Creepy wrote:
    Percy1983 wrote:
    Just to add a bit more confusion.

    Running a higher wattage PSU can be more efficient at the same load as a more efficient lower wattage PSU.

    IE I 700w PSU running at 350w will probably be more efficient than a 350w psu running at 350w. In short headroom and not pushing a PSU as hard to its relative peak can be more efficient.

    I got the EVGA supernova p2 750w, so i have some headroom and platinium effiency. I don't think i could have gotten a better value PSU for the price than this, with platinium certification.

    Sounds good, should serve you well for many years to come.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
Sign In or Register to comment.