cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this PSU good enough?

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I am building my first pc and i have ordered all the parts, which was a long journey of more than 3 weeks heavy researching to make sure that i'll be happy with my system. That lead me to just order the thing at last cause i couldn't bare it anymore but i have doubts about my psu.

My system:

Z170 Premium
I7 6700k
GTX 980 TI Strix DC3OC-6GD5-Gaming
32 GB Crucial Ballistic Sport DDR4 2400Mhz
HDD and a SSD

PSU: Super Flower Leadex 550W 80+ platinium

I know there definitely isn't room for much OC if anything at all, but will it power my system suffeiciently enough not to hamper perfomance and not break down. I hope it will do, it's good quality but a little short of desired wattage.
20 REPLIES 20

Jose
Heroic Explorer
How many watts?

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
Oh, i somehow forgot to write that, it's 550 watts.

Percy1983
Superstar
The superflower leadex's are good PSUs.

I really would say 600watt is the absolute minimum for that system so it might scrape by but I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Nvidia's spec page for the 980ti recommends 600W or greater. I wouldn't risk it with the 550W psu.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications

Where'd you order the parts from? Most major online retail stores have good return policies so I'd return the PSU and then order a better one. Or if I was in a hurry, I'd go to my local brick & morter Fry's Electornics. Depends on where you are and what's available to you, though.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
Well, that's not good :lol: I was in great doubt about whether i should get an XFX pro series 750w, Seasonic 750w or the Super Flower 550w. I bought the one that i thought was the best PSU, but that doesn't matter much if it isn't powerfull enough. I should have researched a bit more or asked before hand, i was tired of the process taking forever and wanted to be done with it. but i guess i learned my lesson. Maybe i'll have to try to return it, i think it should be possible but will wear on my patience a bit. I have read about people using 980 TI on a 550 watt supply though, but i'm not taking any chances so i wanted more feedback.

Percy1983
Superstar
I would generally say get a 750w to give good clearance and be good for future upgrades, if you may want SLI/Crossfire in the not to distant future then go higher.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, 550W will be either cutting it close or not enough.

On my main dev machine, I went all out and got a 1,500W PSU. LOL! Totally overkill.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
"Percy1983" wrote:
I would generally say get a 750w to give good clearance and be good for future upgrades, if you may want SLI/Crossfire in the not to distant future then go higher.

There wont be any Crossfire/SLI for me in the foreseeable future as i don't have enough money to spend that much on electricity bills, so a 750w is enough. This is really a bummer, i was looking forward to building my pc next week, but i guess it's postponed a bit now. Oh well that's life! Maybe if i'm lucky i can get it cancelled as it ships from a seperate warehouse to the online shops own warehouse before being shipped to me.

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
"cybereality" wrote:
Yeah, 550W will be either cutting it close or not enough.

On my main dev machine, I went all out and got a 1,500W PSU. LOL! Totally overkill.

Are you running Tinas in SLI or something, that is a hefty psu, lol!

Edit:
So if i get another one is i guess this is the best quality psu i can get for the price - Seasonic S12G-750.