cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possibility of Releasing a 1080p Dev Kit (2.0)

Yuki_Nagato
Honored Guest
Since the Oculus team have been demoing the 1080p version, I am wondering if they have plans to release these for pre-order?

I on behalf of many others have hold-off on pre-ordering the Devkit 1.0 due to the reported screen door effect and that it is extremely less pronounced on the 1080p version.

The increased resolution will ofcourse help the development of higher definition games that require you to read text of the User Interface (UI). Anything ranging from RPGs that have a hovering health bar and items of to the side, to first person shooters that have mini-maps hovering.
Basically I am saying that for development of great UI I think the 1080p would be a godsend for developers.

So... any ideas if they plan on releasing it for pre-order?
29 REPLIES 29

DigitalSith
Honored Guest
I think that like you, many people got very excited when the high def Rift was shown at E3. Obviously this is something that Oculus plans on releasing as a retail model. As for the Dev Kit (low res) model, I don't think that owning either version would give you the ability to program better looking games. Your basic code/program will run without the Rift in higher resolution and when you are ready to test how the program functions within the Rift you will simply switch resolutions. Of course the higher end Rift will display your beautiful graphics and text better, that is why the retail version will be the higher end model. I for one would like to get my hands on the E3 model, but only to use as for gaming etc.... That is why I am excited for the public release. For developing programs, the low res version is fine.

Yuki_Nagato
Honored Guest
I see. I guess the 1280x800 display is enough for just laying the UI out for the developer.
Which would probably mean they won't be releasing a 1080p Dev Kit and subsequently using manpower to produce them.
Would be a waste if developers won't need the extra increase in clarity.

Chaoss
Expert Protege
My belief is that they will release a "beta" of the final version, with most or all of the final features implemented. They may only sell to people who already have the development kit or they may replace the v1 dev kit with the v2. I don't think they'll just release a consumer version without first releasing it's release candidate/beta for final bug testing
"In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."

poltergeistluxx
Honored Guest
the best Thing would be when the developers get a devkit 2.0 with 1080p just some months before the realease date ..

then they can get more Feedback and they have more "beta testers" for it
this is a good strategy because they can see if it has Problems and if People are reporting issues etc.

I think that they will release a devkit 2.0 in mid 2014 maybe in july 2014 they will do a preorder devkit 2.0

then in November 2014 they will release the end consumer version

yuanxiaoyu
Honored Guest
i personally do not think that they will release a second developer kit,
let us consider the features that will likely be implemented for the consumer version:

1. higher resolution
2. positional tracking
3. higher FOV (this is just a maybe)
4. refined utilities

note that refined utilities is likely just going to be a software that makes calibration and profiling easier,
so this is not really related to the hardware itself

for no.1: higher resolution right now does not significantly benefit the developing process, because resolution doesnt limit the development process right now, ie you can do better looking games either way, and just view it on screen for effects. eg. you dont need a rift that supports 1080p to create games that are graphically heavy. the developers can now believe in the fact that their game can be viewed in 1080p for the consumer version.

for no.2: positional tracking is a very important technical implementation, but it doesn't need to be present for developing either. the developers can assume that this will be implemented. adding the positional tracking is still going to be limited to a small spatial space, due to the limitation of the current hardware (mouse/keyboard, the wires on the rift) limit the movement the player can make; so really, adding in the positional tracking to the developers is like " (example) okay so you can only look up and down in the rift right now, but with the consumer version you can look left and right"; it doesn't truly pose a hurdle to the development process.

for no.3: higher FOV, they might do some enhancement on the lenses and/or screen so that the FOV will be increased, but then again, not a deal breaker for developers.

what i believe is that they might make the finalized consumer version available for pre-order, and make giving it to game studio as a priority, to allow some final testing on the developer's part prior to the commercial release.

people who want a 1080p dev kit are likely to be:
1) enthusiastic VR die hard fans who cant wait for better resolution after having a taste of the rift
2) developers focusing on exploring the presentation/display limitation of the rift

HDTanel
Honored Guest
I thought they already let people know that it is coming in a month or two?
How do you buy it? Because kickstarter backers got the first version for free (well the price they paid), are they the only ones who can apply to order the new version aswell or is it going to come for everybody? I guess not because then it would already be like the consumer version..
So if it is not official then I think there wont be a HD version for devs, just the HD version when its released.. sometime in 2014, witch is awfully long time to wait 😞

mdk
Honored Guest
What I asked:
I ordered my rift prototype a few months ago and due to the long queues
it's still not been sent to me. However I saw the 1080p protorype in E3
videos. Will this 1080p prototype be available for order? If so is it
possible to change my order to this 1080p version and pay the extra amount
if the new version is more expensive?

Answer:

Hey XXXXX,

The 1080p Rift shown at E3 is just a prototype we have been using.
It will not be released.
Thanks,

XXXXX
Oculus VR Support

tbhausen
Explorer
I'd like a higher-res devkit as much as anyone, but it doesn't make sense for Oculus to release one for all the reasons Palmer stated on reddit. The current devkit is certainly serving its purpose well.

7/10

okwoode
Explorer
Hi everyone the dev kit i have all ready is great as it is it is the content more than the rez ive found, but i know hi rez would be 10x better, but is there gunna be a heads up to all those who got the dev kit 1, or are you going straight to launch. i live in the uk , i would be gutted to see them come out state sides, and have to compete with back orders.... if even able to get a shipper....