New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lucky's Tale 2016 Gameplay Trailer

whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
Trinity
edited March 2016 in General
I'm really looking forward to playing this game!! :D It'll be the first game I play... Next week can't come soon enough!! :o

CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res

Comments

• notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    I was looking forward to this too... until I found that I probably won't have enough hard disk space to install it...

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1734357913462268?sr=1&query=drive&sid=0g1SHyHqRPXIZ9P2o
  • HornetHornet Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    No good....i have too only limited space on my HD....
  • FingerMcPokeyeFingerMcPokeye Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    notsram wrote:
    I was looking forward to this too... until I found that I probably won't have enough hard disk space to install it...

https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1734357913462268?sr=1&query=drive&sid=0g1SHyHqRPXIZ9P2o

Open up a command prompt in Windows and type mklink /?

Solved.

Steam had this same "one drive only" problem when SSDs first started coming out. It was a non-issue then if you knew what you were doing.
    Wintermute
    notsram wrote:

Solved.

Steam had this same "one drive only" problem when SSDs first started coming out. It was a non-issue then if you knew what you were doing.

True, but why should we have to mess around with command prompts in 2016?
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    notsram wrote:
    notsram wrote:

Solved.

True, but why should we have to mess around with command prompts in 2016?

Yea, I am starting to realize this. Isn't the Rift a consumer product? I feel like this going back to the DK1/2 days where we needed all these workarounds just to do basic things.
  • aamike68aamike68 Posts: 80
    Brain Burst
    Ill just have to wait until Oculus decides to play nice and release this on the Vive, Im really interested in playing all the exclusives!
  • christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    I wasn't all that thrilled about this game, but after checking out the trailer - now I think I might like it. Glad it's free !
    For those of you with HD issues, you may want to consider buying an SSD - they're getting pretty cheap.
    I got a 240G one for $67. I rebuilt my PC for VR ( new cpu, mb, etc. ) so I picked up the SSD while I was at it and made it my C drive. I'm hoping it minimizes any frame rate hitches you can sometimes see as games load large textures ( e.g. Elite ).
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    It brings back memories of playing platform games as a kid. The nostalgia... I really cannot wait to play this game, especially after this latest trailer :P
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • whoa182 wrote:
    It brings back memories of playing platform games as a kid. The nostalgia... I really cannot wait to play this game, especially after this latest trailer :P

Kinda has a Crash Bandicoot feel
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    Looking forward to this game as well. Just hope that they don't tie the character's movement direction to the user's headlook direction. Herobound did that and it just felt really weird playing that game. The Adventure Time game controls were almost perfect. I hope Lucky's Tale controls like that. In a platform game, controls are everything.
  • Regarding the hard drive issue:
    palmerluckey 414 points 6 hours ago
    This is near the very top of our roadmap, but other features took priority for launch. Getting this working is non-trivial for a lot of reasons, but we will be getting it out ASAP. In the meanwhile, we are going to post some workarounds - we are still in the process of rolling out our support pages, don't take anything as final yet.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... be/d18dw80
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,159 Valuable Player
    Can't wait to play this! So glad that it comes packed in with the Rift because I was going to buy it anyway. After experiencing first-hand with Super Mario 3D Land how good 3D is for platformers this game is going to be amazing. Can't wait!!! :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,780 Valuable Player
    whoa182 wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to playing this game!! :D It'll be the first game I play... Next week can't come soon enough!! :o
    How do you know you are getting a Rift next week or you talking about playing it on DK2?
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    whoa182 wrote:

Kinda looks like a hybrid between Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie.
    I loved Banjo Kazooie, but never liked the linear level design of Crash Bandicoot. Nevertheless I'm sure I'll love this game. I normally prefer shooters and simulators, but I can appreciate a game like this as well. I think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed playing Knack on PS4, and I'm getting that vibe here as well, although Knack had nicer visuals.
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    Jose wrote:
    Looking forward to this game as well. Just hope that they don't tie the character's movement direction to the user's headlook direction.

I've heard the developers say that they've tried to avoid this as much as possible.
  • AuxPlumesAuxPlumes Posts: 49
    This Old School PF vibe, I love it !

The first time I saw this game, I found the fox odd, even a bit creepy

Good thing they did an adjustment, he's actually cute now :)
  • DannyMNL wrote:
    whoa182 wrote:

Kinda looks like a hybrid between Crash Bandicoot and Banjo Kazooie.
    I loved Banjo Kazooie, but never liked the linear level design of Crash Bandicoot. Nevertheless I'm sure I'll love this game. I normally prefer shooters and simulators, but I can appreciate a game like this as well. I think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed playing Knack on PS4, and I'm getting that vibe here as well, although Knack had nicer visuals.
    Hey i liked Knack too :D i just think people were expecting too much of a game similar to crash bandicoot, but i dunno :)
    I also look very much forward to play Lucky's Tale, it is actually the main reason why i'm getting the Rift :o i love platformer's and i was trying to develop one myself for the DK2 but it was in 1st person instead, and watching this new trailer i can see why people mentioned that 1st person doesn't fit platformers :D
    ASUS Maximus VII Formula
    Intel core i7 quad core 4790K OC'ed @ 4.4Ghz
    32GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    GSync Monitor @ 2560x1440, 144Hz
    DK2 Owner
    CV1 Preordered.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    lovethis wrote:
    whoa182 wrote:
    How do you know you are getting a Rift next week or you talking about playing it on DK2?
    I don't see whats the fuss is all about, they said it would start to ship on March 28th, people like me who had a March estimate at checkout, will have their Rift next week... And with all the people cancelling their orders it can only get better for the April batch... I don't need anymore confirmation, tweets, post..
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Wintermute
    maxpare79 wrote:
    lovethis wrote:
    whoa182 wrote:
    I don't see whats the fuss is all about, they said it would start to ship on March 28th, people like me who had a March estimate at checkout, will have their Rift next week... And with all the people cancelling their orders it can only get better for the April batch... I don't need anymore confirmation, tweets, post..

Any more confirmation? I wasn't aware we'd had any as yet. If we had, nobody would be worried :)
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    notsram wrote:

Any more confirmation? I wasn't aware we'd had any as yet. If we had, nobody would be worried :)

Ok so I guess games will be available on the 28th with nobody with their Rift...
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/intro ... -march-28/
    Also this
    https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/oculu ... -march-28/
    I don't need anything more...and worrying about trivial thing is overrated :D
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • CyberCubCyberCub Posts: 41
    Watching that trailer actually gave ma headache O.o..
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    At first I wasn't terribly interested in this game. It's free, but I wasn't really excited about it.

But then I wasn't terribly excited about Elite Dangerous until I tried it in VR. Wow, what a difference.

For anyone with a DK2, give the "World Axis" demo a try. It's not very long and it IS very dark, but at heart it's a platformer where you have to run a character from the start to the end of a level. The extra layer of camera management was what made the demo interesting. Without a VR headset, the demo would have been very uninteresting.

So I'm wondering if Lucky's Tale will be the same: Underwhelming in 2D but really interesting once you throw in the VR elements. Can anyone who has tried the demo comment on it?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    I think I'll prefer games where camera doesn't move along with you (ie. Chronos, Mythos of the World).

Mythos of the World can actually give you a feeling of presence. When playing standing you can kind of forget about the real world and think you're in this dark room with a remote TPP character that you control.