cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you hook this up to your Blu-ray player?

mjoa
Honored Guest
Pop in a blu-ray and have a true theater experience (more like IMAX lol)? Using the HDMI cables. That would be amazing.
14 REPLIES 14

MannyLectro
Explorer
By reading all your messages I have the feeling that you don't really understand what the Rift is and how it works.

The Rift is composed of one screen in front of two lenses. You hook it up to a computer and thanks to Rift compatible softwares or games the picture of what you are watching is divided in two on the Rift screen, one for each eye. This allows you to have a stereoscopic vision of the content (3d) and it covers most of your field of view.

When the software or game are well made the stereoscopy and huge field of view makes you feel like being in an other place. Sensors on the Rift detects your head movements and send them to your computer so that it changes the view in software/game.

The actual dev kit has a low resolution of 720p. It might sounds like a good resolution, since it's still HD, but you have to think that the screen covers most of your field of view thanks to the lenses, so you can see the pixels.

Your blu-ray player only sends one picture, not two half pictures like the Rift requires. If you plug your Rift each eye will see only half of the picture and it won't work.

If you want to watch a movie with the Rift, you have to use a dedicated software made for it, on your computer. For example VR cinema is a software that transports you in a virtual theater in wich you can watch any video you have on your computer. It feels like being in a theater and you can even change sits.
Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514

mjoa
Honored Guest
"MannyLectro" wrote:
By reading all your messages I have the feeling that you don't really understand what the Rift is and how it works.

The Rift is composed of one screen in front of two lenses. You hook it up to a computer and thanks to Rift compatible softwares or games the picture of what you are watching is divided in two on the Rift screen, one for each eye. This allows you to have a stereoscopic vision of the content (3d) and it covers most of your field of view.

When the software or game are well made the stereoscopy and huge field of view makes you feel like being in an other place. Sensors on the Rift detects your head movements and send them to your computer so that it changes the view in software/game.

The actual dev kit has a low resolution of 720p. It might sounds like a good resolution, since it's still HD, but you have to think that the screen covers most of your field of view thanks to the lenses, so you can see the pixels.

Your blu-ray player only sends one picture, not two half pictures like the Rift requires. If you plug your Rift each eye will see only half of the picture and it won't work.

If you want to watch a movie with the Rift, you have to use a dedicated software made for it, on your computer. For example VR cinema is a software that transports you in a virtual theater in wich you can watch any video you have on your computer. It feels like being in a theater and you can even change sits.

Ohhhh I see. I was confused because someone said that in the theater the picture looks bad, but someone else said there was a way to watch just the movie but you can't move your head or you'd get dizzy, which made me think I would just be seeing a huge screen in front of me.

MannyLectro
Explorer
Some devs made softwares to play videos with the Rift, but you really have to understand that it covers all your vision, so you don't see a screen in front of you. If you watch a movie it will be the only thing you see, everywhere ! Unless of course the devs programmed it so that you see a little screen in front of you.

mjoa
Honored Guest
Oh.

Since you've tried the movie theater, since you see seats around you and the screen is kind of far away, how's the picture?

geekmaster
Protege
HDCP Copy-protected Blu-Ray discs are decrypted in the LCD panel itself, preventing pre-warp and head tracking. To play it with one of these Rift media player programs, you could use a ripper program for content you own, to decrypt it and save it to your hard disk.

MannyLectro
Explorer
Since you've tried the movie theater, since you see seats around you and the screen is kind of far away, how's the picture?

Pretty pixelated... 😞

mjoa
Honored Guest
"MannyLectro" wrote:

Pretty pixelated... 😞

Okay so what is this guy talking about then in this post:

https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3151

The second to last guy. Have you tried that before?

photographer
Honored Guest
connect the blu-ray player to a computer that has a tv tuner/video capture card. use Virtual cinema app for oculus rift to play the video.

Vin
Explorer
You should wait for the consumer version. The devkit is not the HMD you are looking for.