cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rifting? *yawn*

ReT
Honored Guest
Now that I have your attention, let me explain my somewhat (deliberately) misleading and suggestive title 😛

I FINALLY received my Rift on Monday and spent a good part of Monday night jumping between demos, but still ended up in bed at a reasonable hour (around 11pm). I took the Rift to work today, showcased it to a couple of work colleagues (all thoroughly impressed btw) and had a few more goes again myself. It's now 7:40pm and I only just spent about 15mins in HL2 and maybe 10 mins before that trying out Blue Marbel with 2 different audio tracks.

Anyway, onto the *yawn* part: I am COMPLETELY blown away by the immersion, the low res and screen door effect don't detract from the experience as much as some people make out and it doesn't take long before you forget about it entirely...but the one (strange) thing I'm finding is that I feel utterly exhausted after using my Rift!

At first I thought it was just the 'late' gaming on Monday (I usually go to bed around 9pm) but then, even now, it's barely 8pm and I fell exhausted after taking it off.

Has anyone else experienced this? The only thing I can assume would be making me feel this way would potentially be eye strain, or something similar. I find it pretty draining, in the same way that Go-Karting can be mentally exhausting (for those that have done it) from concentrating so hard.

Does anyone else get sleepy from using their Rift? ...maybe I have that funny 'sleeping disease'...Narcosleepy :lol:
12 REPLIES 12

Dysheekie
Explorer
I think you tore an Oculus Rift in the space-time continuum. You were so immersed in your experience that your body actually felt like it ran 5 miles from Half Life 2.

You might be on to something - after I get my rift I may never have to work out again.

photographer
Honored Guest
The human eyes focus selectively and thus only concentrate on a very narrow point of view. the eye focus mechanism automatically throws the background out of focus and also the foreground if you're looking at one particular point.

When you put on OR everything is in focus and your eyes cannot throw anything out of focus because the screen is very close to your eyes. This effect makes your eyes very tried the same way that a camera battery will drain if you keep focusing at something but the focus won't lock on to the subject.

ReverendKyle
Honored Guest
I'm sure that it is similar to those days where you sit around ALL DAY and do nothing but watch movies. You barely move, but yet, for some reason, are exhausted at the end of it.

That happens to other people too.... right? :shock:
Have you listened to the Rev VR Podcast yet? Listen and subscribe through iTunes or through Stitcher http://www.reverendkyle.com

photographer
Honored Guest
"reverendkyle" wrote:
I'm sure that it is similar to those days where you sit around ALL DAY and do nothing but watch movies. You barely move, but yet, for some reason, are exhausted at the end of it.

That happens to other people too.... right? :shock:

When you watch a movie on TV, your eyes only focus on a very small circle on the screen, usually the eyes of the actors, the subject of interest, the action -- even on small TV. Big TV are preferable because that small point of focus is enlarged making it easy on the eyes to resolve.

Right now when you're reading this sentence, you're looking at only one word at a time and not all of the screen.

Vriend
Honored Guest
"ReT" wrote:
Now that I have your attention, let me explain my somewhat (deliberately) misleading and suggestive title 😛

I FINALLY received my Rift on Monday and spent a good part of Monday night jumping between demos, but still ended up in bed at a reasonable hour (around 11pm). I took the Rift to work today, showcased it to a couple of work colleagues (all thoroughly impressed btw) and had a few more goes again myself. It's now 7:40pm and I only just spent about 15mins in HL2 and maybe 10 mins before that trying out Blue Marbel with 2 different audio tracks.

Anyway, onto the *yawn* part: I am COMPLETELY blown away by the immersion, the low res and screen door effect don't detract from the experience as much as some people make out and it doesn't take long before you forget about it entirely...but the one (strange) thing I'm finding is that I feel utterly exhausted after using my Rift!

At first I thought it was just the 'late' gaming on Monday (I usually go to bed around 9pm) but then, even now, it's barely 8pm and I fell exhausted after taking it off.

Has anyone else experienced this? The only thing I can assume would be making me feel this way would potentially be eye strain, or something similar. I find it pretty draining, in the same way that Go-Karting can be mentally exhausting (for those that have done it) from concentrating so hard.

Does anyone else get sleepy from using their Rift? ...maybe I have that funny 'sleeping disease'...Narcosleepy :lol:

Did you calibrate your rift?

It might be the reason it is causing extra strain on your eye muscles resulting in feeling exhausted?

Just guessing here...

You might find some information here about calibrating the rift:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide

Happy rifting, i'm still waiting for my own one.. 🙂

AdamsImmersive
Honored Guest
I think you're coming down from a huge adrenaline high, and will be wiped out for days 😛

P.S. Someone here posted that VR sickness is a greater problem when you're tired. Hope you don't experience that next domino falling!
Morgan Mac OS XUnity

foetalvoid
Honored Guest
Can't explain it but I know exactly what you mean. In fact - I got my Rift yesterday and I could've written those exact words. The worst part is it keeps me from enjoying it fully, though I am still extremely excited... I literally makes me tired.

Tbone
Protege
It sounds like a motion sickness side effect. Everyone is different. The good news is that most people notice an improvement over time.

Sometimes I break out into a sweat. Sometimes it makes me need to take a crap. Sometimes I get light headed. Sometimes I get real lethargic.

I've had all of those symptoms after having the Rift for about a week now. They're already not happening as often (I've been doing some marathon gaming in MineCrift), and a little ginger tea also helps.

My guess is your brain is overwhelmed with the stimulus and is working hard to process what's going on in front of it. Once your brain gets used to the Rift, you won't become as tired.
The Furious Angels - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!

3Jane
Explorer
I think it really helps if you done LSD or Psilocybin before using the Rift.

I don't mean actually take them if you've never done drugs. But everyone I know who has "expanded their consciousness" has loved the Rift. We're calling it Digital Acid around here.

But yes, the reason I say this is because those drugs can give you out-of-body experiences. If you've ever had one before than using the Rift is quite easy to get acclimated to.