cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift keeps flickering (changing from bright to dark)

iMpuLz
Honored Guest
Hey guys!

Just received my rift but it keeps changing the brightness every second. Everything worked fine at the beginning and suddenly it began to go crazy by changing the brightness every half second. Anyone of you got a solution for this?

Just installed the nvidia driver 320.49 and the intel driver 15319, but no change.

And the specs are:

GTX 780M
i7 4900MQ

Hopefolly anyone of you got a solution for this, I think it's something with my graphic card..
14 REPLIES 14

iMpuLz
Honored Guest
Made a short video so you guys can see what I mean.

poltergeistluxx
Honored Guest
this looks definately like a problem with your graphics card or the adapter connected ...
i dont think that this has to do something with the oculus rift itself.

iMpuLz
Honored Guest
Disconnected all cables from my pc and tried to turn it on and the "No signal" message itself flickers as well, so I think it's no problem with my graphics card. 😞

poltergeistluxx
Honored Guest
try to reinstall computer completely then check if the ahrdware is connected properly graphic cards slot etc.
check all the cables if they are ok download all the latest drivers for your graphics card install oculus rift properly on your new installed pc.

only use windows 7 or windows 8 this should work

it is highly impossible that your oculus rift is the source of the problem but it is not impossible 😉
if i where you i would format everything reinstall windows 7 or windows 8 and update and install everything properly, check the hardware- disconnect it from the pcie slot and replace it! doing a bios update if possible,

then install oculus rift properly then it should work!

ps. do not let the sun rays shine into the rift it will be damaged immediately! do not let fluids inside it!
do not let it fall on the ground!

if it has to do something with the oculus rift itself this looks like a contact is loose or broken, maybe a cable is blocked somehow or squeezed
also check if you have enough voltage on the connector

geekmaster
Protege
"poltergeistluxx" wrote:
... if i where you i would format everything reinstall windows 7 or windows 8 and update and install everything properly, check the hardware- disconnect it from the pcie slot and replace it! doing a bios update if possible,

then install oculus rift properly then it should work!
ps. do not let the sun rays shine into the rift it will be damaged immediately! do not let fluids inside it!
do not let it fall on the ground!

So, if he formats (erases) "everything" (hard drives, and other storage devices) the flicker in the Rift should go away?

That seems like overkill until simpler things were tried, such as plugging the Rift into a different computer.

Also, what does that "ps" have to do with a flickering display? Shouldn't there be a warning to not wear it while riding a bicycle?

jherico
Adventurer
"poltergeistluxx" wrote:
it is highly impossible that your oculus rift is the source of the problem but it is not impossible 😉

He clearly stated the flicker happens even when he's not connected to the computer, i.e. with images generated by the control box. Sounds pretty airtight to me.
Brad Davis - Developer for High Fidelity Co-author of Oculus Rift in Action

iMpuLz
Honored Guest
Seems to be a hardware problem. Getting a replacement unit.. Now the waiting begins again. 😄

poltergeistluxx
Honored Guest
of course if it has to do something with the oculus rift then you need to contact the support

NmidnetS
Honored Guest
I have received my rift 3 days ago and I have the same problem 😞

If the rift has been off for a while it works fine for a few minutes, afterwards it starts flickering again..