New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Kairo - Full game on Steam with Rift support

perrinperrin Posts: 12
edited September 2014 in Games and Apps
Hi folks,

I've just added what I'd probably call experimental level support of the Occulus Rift to my game Kairo. I've just released a patch so anyone with the Steam version of the game will be able to activate Rift support from the settings menus.

I've not yet recompiled the demo versions of the game with this support in, but I'll get that done in the next couple of days. So everyone will be able to try it out without having to buy the game.

I put a fair amount of time into getting this working, an especially large amount of time rebuilding how my GUI was done, but I don't really consider it complete yet. However a lot of people had been wanting to try it out so I figured I'd release it as it stands now and take feedback to make improvements.

[edit: Rift support is currently only available for the PC and Mac versions of the game]

Steam Link: Kairo

Screenshots:

Kairo-Thumbshot-1.png Kairo-Thumbshot-2.png Kairo-Thumbshot-3.png Kairo-Thumbshot-4.png

Comments

• VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    O man! This news just made my day, thank you!
    I was playing the demo some time ago and loved it! After hearing about possible oculus support I decided to wait before playing the full game. Since my rift is just about to arrive (finally), I couldn't wish for better timing :D
    I'm off to Steam to buy the full version :)
  • MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    wow that actually looks like a game that can be fun in the Rift.. might go ahead and get it, only 5 bucks cant go wrong with that :-). oh you should also post a link on Reddit. I think any game that lets you explore and is a big focus on that would be awesome for the Rift :-). great to see some more such games work with it.
  • LarkLark Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Bought, pretty interesting spaces to be in.
  • MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    ok phew got headtracking to work right at first thought it had no headtracking but had tridef3d installed with the oculus support so i had to remove that first :-) looks cool though are you using unity? if you are and you are using deffered rendering you might need to switch to foward rendering for the lighting as it seems to make the scenes look a little worse in the Rift. :-p but other then that pretty cool!
  • FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    Nice!

Hows the framerate with sbs?
    Backer
    "Have faith." -Palmer Luckey
  • edulinaresedulinares Posts: 275
    What a pleasant surprise....I have this game on steam for a couple of months, but haven't played it yet. Now I got some nice incentive to do it :)
  • LordJuanloLordJuanlo Posts: 304
    Art3mis
    There is a typo at the game config: you typed "Occulus Rift", but it's "Oculus Rift" with just 1 "C"
    FirmaRoV.png
    Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    Please let us know when the Rift-ready demo is up.
    I'm looking forward to this :D
  • wblanchettewblanchette Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    Sold and sold! I spotted your game a while back and immediately added it to my to-play list, but Oculus support moves it right to the top of the queue. It looks gorgeous and I can't wait to check it out.
  • jf032jf032 Posts: 29
    Decided to buy the game due to Rift support. Very neat experience so far, and there is a certain amount of satisfaction in figuring out the puzzles.

However, please allow for an option to set "body" orientation to head yaw (where the player is looking is always forwards), or, instead, add a key command to set current view to forwards. The Rift always drifts considerably within the span of a few minutes, and this is hurting the experience. I started out going to the menu to disable and re-enable the Rift, but that got me out of the game to a very strong degree, so I ended up just dealing with forwards being whatever arbitrary angle it drifted towards. That can end up being uncomfortable, and it is pretty confusing figuring out which way is forwards, sometimes.

Note: I realize that forwards is reset when transitioning to a new level. Drift accumulates so quickly with the Rift, though.
  • steviediscosteviedisco Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I'll be in on this when my Rift arrives (soon!) - screenshots look really cool and looks like just the kind of slower paced exploratory game that I want to play in the Rift.
  • FictionXFictionX Posts: 289
    I bought the game when it came out for Linux, and I like it a lot - but I get a black screen after I enable the Rift in the menu and start the game.

Is it supposed to be working in Linux?
  • ChaossChaoss Posts: 274
    You just earned yourself a sale :)
    "In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
  • ChaossChaoss Posts: 274
    That is a highly trippy game, especially when high.
    "In the future we will be designing dreams, worlds & experiences rather than games."
  • perrinperrin Posts: 12
    FictionX wrote:
    I bought the game when it came out for Linux, and I like it a lot - but I get a black screen after I enable the Rift in the menu and start the game.

Is it supposed to be working in Linux?

Sorry I should have clarified RIft support is currently only Windows and Mac. My mistake.
  • FictionXFictionX Posts: 289
    Hi

Thanks for answering..

Why is it not supported in Linux? Is it harder to implement?

Will You be adding it later?
  • perrinperrin Posts: 12
    FictionX wrote:
    Why is it not supported in Linux? Is it harder to implement?

Will You be adding it later?

afaik right now the Unity implementation for Rift is Mac/PC only. When they add Linux support hopefully I'll have time to go back and put it in.
    About the Drift, isn't SDK2.3 suppose to greatly reduce it?

Question to the creator, is Kairo using SDK 2.3 for drift correction and IPD profile settings?
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    Convinced. looking forward to this, but don't know what to expect. I'll post a vid on youtube.
    Anyway, installing now. :-)
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    edulinares wrote:
    About the Drift, isn't SDK2.3 suppose to greatly reduce it?

Question to the creator, is Kairo using SDK 2.3 for drift correction and IPD profile settings?

I think that magnetometer correction was added long ago to the SDK, so I guess Unity should have adopted it by now. Maybe the Kairo devs are using an older Unity version?.
  • bp2008bp2008 Posts: 256
    Hiro Protagonist
    You sir have earned another sale!
  • owenwpowenwp Posts: 642
    Art3mis
    Having your movement direction stay "centered" when you turn your head feels pretty unnatural when you have no visual centering cue whatsoever, no body presence. The drift makes it extremely uncomfortable in a matter of seconds if you are looking around a lot. I find that if I just look up and behind me a couple times the view drifts by about 15-20 degrees when there is no correction.

I think it would be much better if your movement just followed your view, even with drift correction. Either that or add a body so we can see which way is forward.

Also counter-rotating your head to center your body to your view feels really bad.
    Sanzaru - Programmer
  • PlinkPlink Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Address some of the issues people are mentioning, and I'll buy it.
  • whoisonlinewhoisonline Posts: 415
    NerveGear
    My take on Kairo?

So far, it's just a mystery, I thought I'd have a look at it thru the Rift first, and YES .. it looks great so I'll be coming back to this one :-) I'm planning to going for a venture very soon.

Keep up the fantastic work, I have a feeling I'm going to be visiting your game rather often over the next few months.
    I've posted on http://virtualreality.com.au/2013/08/03/oculus-rift-sneak-peek-kairo/

• mrgreen72mrgreen72 Posts: 666
    Art3mis
    Bought it. First impressions are great but there are several problems to fix.

Looking forward to see Steam download updates! :)
  • paulohotlinepaulohotline Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Cool work dude, getting game on steam now, thanks for adding rift support!
    [Paulo Carvalho Mobile - 204-294-4389]
    http://www.pinballowners.com/paulohotline
    "Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"
    Just played an hour of it. A fascinating experience. I like how you can walk forward while looking all around. It's terrible to control on the keyboard but much better on the controller.

I cranked the FOV to 90, which initialy felt better, but soon later I started feeling sick and had to quit, but I forgot what the default value was, someone please tell me.

Also I wonder if the author could put on higher AA options, so much aliasing is kinda off-puting.
  • Dexter111Dexter111 Posts: 184
    Okay, a bit of feedback after trying it for a while.

The language chooser at the beginning seemed to pop up again over and over the several times I tried to start the game, which doesn't display right on the Rift.

The Aliasing is rather bad at the native resolution of the Rift (1280x800), choosing a higher resolution (1920x1080 or similar) and letting it downscale seems to improve this quite a bit but makes menus and similar nearly unreadable.

Also what everyone else said about the movement keys being weird after a while, maybe you can add a toggle option for "walk where you look/walk forward".
  • goettelgoettel Posts: 289
    Won't buy !

..since I got it a couple of months back and parked it in hopes of Rift support. 8-)

Top news, reinstalling as we speak.

Edit: as hoped for, the spaces truly come alive in the Rift, highly recommended.

Maybe slightly off-topic (or even off-forum), but while your here: the sudden cut-off of the music between rooms is really grating and immersion-breaking, would it be possible to add fades between the tracks - perhaps even with a user definable fade length ?

In any case, just moved this to near the top of the list of spaces to show the Rift off with.
  • Bought it :) Now we wait...