So, new layout... - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

So, new layout...

Comments

• ejz6837ejz6837 Posts: 233
    I'm not really a fan of likes and dislikes, it isn't as if something with a lot of likes gets to the top. It's a forum, you should be able to post as part of a discussion and not get every comment judged by arbitrary clicking. Suggestion: Remove the dislikes at least.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,776
    Project 2501
    ejz6837 said:
    I'm not really a fan of likes and dislikes, it isn't as if something with a lot of likes gets to the top. It's a forum, you should be able to post as part of a discussion and not get every comment judged by arbitrary clicking. Suggestion: Remove the dislikes at least.
    Well I like the dislike button so I can use it when someone starts throwing insults and uses abusive language and disrespect other members (although I don't think there are any consequences)...I don't plan to use it when someone says something I disagree with...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    ejz6837 said:
    I think a dislike button is somewhat ok. Because it at least gives the option of people expressing what they think quickly, rather than write some rude comments, or instigate more unnecessary flame war comments. But on the other hand, people will just feel compelled to dislike someones list of comments no matter what they say just cause they have an issue with them.  
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    edited March 2016
    The Like option is nice, but...
    1) How do you tell which topics are unread? The old forum distinguished topics that have new replies since the last time.
    2) At the same time, I notice there is no "Mark topics as read" link anymore.
    3) There is no way to open a topic from a page number like you could in the previous forum, instead, you have to open the topic start from page 1 to get any page navigation. :(
    4) **!!!** OK... This is bad. If I try to Shift+Ctrl+Arrow to highlight a word, it highlights all the way to the beginning or end of the line, and if I Ctrl+Arrow to move the cursor over by a word, it jumps to the beginning or end of the line. That is poor programming and this needs to be fixed (1 through 3 are just minor annoyances, this one, 4, is a usability issue that should be fixed). CTRL+Arrow is supposed to only move one word at a time, not jump to beginning or end of a line. This is the first time I have seen someone break this rule. Bad. This will be very had for me to get use to since most of my text navigation is by CTRL+Arrow.

EDIT:
    So, the forum does keep track of read, unread, new, and topics you have participated in, though, you can't really tell which ones you have participated in since the background color is the same. If you have Firefox, you can add the domain forums.oculus.com as a section in the userContent.css file and add a line to set the class name .Item.Participated as a different background color in order to distinguish it from the others. Make sure to use the !important flag. The read entries are set apart by .Item.Read (it currently uses a 0.9 opacity to slightly set them off in appearance).
  • VRisingVRising Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    I wish I didn't have to scroll all the way down to comment but other than that it looks good.
  • pedrwpedrw Posts: 759
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    I liked the new forum! :-)

3 days!
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Sorry... I'll have to use userContent.css the Oculus forums to make my browser render the page differently. My eyes hurt, and I have only been reading the forum a few minutes.
  • waDINgowaDINgo Posts: 1
    This new forum looks just like the one on Tesla's site 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited March 2016
    My only real issue is, Cybereality doesn't look any different from anyone else, unless you are paying attention _ I'm used to looking for the blue name
    Yes. I'm working on getting the Oculus logo next to my name. Good point.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • mdufformduffor Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2016
    Looks ok on mobile.  Looks horrible on desktop.  Huge text, forced column size, and the black bars make it really hard to scan through the posts.

And the dropdown for the "Developer" forums is in a really hard location to find, especially considering the fact that it changes the entire "mode" of the forum.  I also cannot figure out how to switch to Developer forums on mobile; doesn't appear anywhere in the interface.
  • rogueqdrogueqd Posts: 148
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited March 2016
    Just testing: bold italic strikethrough
    Yeah, thought so, italic works while editing, but doesn't show in posts.
    mduffor said:
    And the dropdown for the "Developer" forums is in a really hard location to find, especially considering the fact that it changes the entire "mode" of the forum.  I also cannot figure out how to switch to Developer forums on mobile; doesn't appear anywhere in the interface.
    Yes, some people have commented that it's hard to switch between the different forum communities. I realize that it could be more clear, and I will work with the team here to come up with a good solution.

The mobile theme does seem to have a bug where switching communities isn't supported, and this will be fixed soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    maxpare79 said:
    ejz6837 said:
    Well I like the dislike button so I can use it when someone starts throwing insults and uses abusive language and disrespect other members (although I don't think there are any consequences)...I don't plan to use it when someone says something I disagree with...
    Actually, if a post gets enough negative reactions (like dislikes) it will be hidden.
  • LyleDLyleD Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    nothing like good ol vBull
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    edited March 2016
    Hey Cyber, Quote is working perfect using Chrome on my home PC.  It was IE11 at work that was the issue.  We have pretty aggressive security too, so maybe that could have played a part.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    maxpare79 said:
    We can't upload files anymore...just link to files or images...no more youtube button as well? Probably the link button
    There was a upload feature??!!! Now I feel sad I didn't get to use it.

I'm having issues signing in on my mobile Z1, just goes to a blank screen with a x at the top right.  Love the autosave for drafts.  I've lost stuff hitting the back button on my mouse before.
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,629 Valuable Player
    I'm going to have to try this Chrome thingy... I don't like change, don't like change, no
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,776
    Project 2501
    I'm going to have to try this Chrome thingy... I don't like change, don't like change, no
    Well if you have an Android phone/tablet using Chrome is the best thing you can do, the browsing history is shared between your different device (Mobile/Tablet/PC) you can add a lot of functionnality to Chrome (addons) and it's link to your gmail account as welll
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,629 Valuable Player
    you haven't seen my browser history!
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 669
    Neo
    edited March 2016
    Is there an equivalent of "Mark all Forums read"..  I often just look for thread titles interested in and read those, and then do "Mark forum read" once done, so next visit I know what is new.
    Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • bakanoodlebakanoodle Posts: 6 Oculus Start Member
    I'm dissapointed that I can't 'awesome' and 'lol' the same post
    pjenness said:
    Is there an equivalent of "Mark all Forums read"..  I often just look for thread titles interested in and read those, and then do "Mark forum read" once done, so next visit I know what is new.
    Yes there is. You can do it for each category in the category list.

I'm dissapointed that I can't 'awesome' and 'lol' the same post
    Thanks for pointing this out. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!
  • TwitchmonkeyTwitchmonkey Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2016
    I'll try and avoid any unnecessary hysterics, I'll certainly get used to the new aesthetic, but I have to agree that it's a step back in almost every way. I can deal with the giant black bars everywhere, as visually unappealing as they are, but why do the posts take up such a small part of the screen? Is it impossible to make a site work for desktop and mobile? And how many people use their phones to chat on internet forums? Seems like something that would benefit from a proper keyboard. I hope we see some revisions over time, but if not, I guess we'll probably manage.

Edit: Okay, just discovering that switching to developer mode removes the community forums from the sidebar. I can get the logic that someone who is not a developer doesn't need to see the development forums, I find it a bit less intuitive that there is the assumption that developers have no interest in the VR community. Please consider changing that, it's just an annoyance. Maybe just give us an option to choose the forums that display, I dunno. Is that already an option? I don't know how to find anything anymore.

Also the default avatars are weird, i know that can be changed, but why is mine so angry looking?
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,172 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2016
    The huge black bar for each person's name then a gap does make this look like a list of separate topics, while the main page has all topics as grey and next to each other.

It seems we've lost the ability to limit searches to specific people (usually I use it to search my own posts).

But we've gotten back user profiles. We can see all the posts from a user, all the likes/dislikes/lols/awesomes they have gotten (and which posts they got them on) and we can even add comments to user profiles.
    maxpare79 said:

This is what I see on Chrome win10 2560x1440
    Just think of all the monitor ink you are saving by having most of the page white!

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,331 Valuable Player
    Good bye signature bar, you will be missed!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    If you click on the Activity link at the top of the page, you can watch torrobinson change his avatar pic 32 times. :)

• expertyexperty Posts: 5
    hmm... I think that black post header attracts too much attention, I can't focus on content, but maybe I'll get used to it.
    Yep, mobile site is vastly superior to the previous version. For desktop though... I might need to grease monkey it up a bit (reduce contrast, colour code certain user names, enlarge avatars to their original size, add in markov chain scrambling of people I don't like, etc).

• BloodletBloodlet Posts: 733
    3Jane
    OK so I can live with all these changes except Cyber changing his avatar.
    We've known that avatar for too many years on too many forums to simply accept this.

I'm in denial that this is even our trusted Cybereality posting now!