New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How To Guide For The New Forum

Comments

• LyleDLyleD Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    what software is this forum using?
  • ConstellationConstellation Posts: 211
    Art3mis
    crim3 said:

I suspect many people is complaining for the new layout but what they are seeing is the mobile version on their computers due to this.

I don't think that's it; it doesn't look anything like what I see on my phone.
  • MaruluMarulu Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    LyleD said:
    I think they are using a modified version of https://vanillaforums.org/

• crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    I said that because for some reason in Firefox I see the mobile version of the site.
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    crim3 said:
    I said that because for some reason in Firefox I see the mobile version of the site.

Ok, I finally found the "full site" option B|
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    Nexus 6
    Marulu said:
    LyleD said:
    I think they are using a modified version of https://vanillaforums.org/

That's correct. :)
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @joan The data is there on the backend to remember which threads you've participated in. We would just need to update the theme to display this and it's something we can look into for the future (though not super high priority considering everything else that needs to be fixed).

@EliteSPA Yes, some people find the black and white color theme too high contrast. I actually like it and find it easier to read, it may just be an issue of people being too comfortable with the old design, which was actually pretty dull if you look back.

@Scawen I don't believe we tested keyboard commands, but that's a good catch.

@EliteSPA The unanswered button actually shows all unanswered questions from the whole forum, and most of these are in the developer section (for example, what became of Answers).

@joan Yes, the Answer section was supposed to be sort of like a Stack Overflow for game developers. However, most people using it thought it was a customer support channel or Reddit AMA for consumers.

@maxpare79 Yeah, we are working on getting the mobile site working better but it may take a week or so to update.

@Marulu Signatures may be an option later, but it keeps the forum a little cleaner in general. However we can look to add more features down the road. The level system is based on points and there are also badges (though I'll have to check if they are enabled). You up levels as you get more points (for example, from people "Liking" your posts). Level 2 is when you get 50 points, and it just goes up from there.

@crim3 PaleMoon is sort of an odd browser, so it wasn't part of any of our tests. We did QA with the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Safari. Though you can switch to the desktop theme by clicking the line icon on the upper left and choosing "Full Desktop Site".

@LyleD We're using Vanilla now. The old forum was Phpbb.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Thanks for the reply CR.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • ConstellationConstellation Posts: 211
    Art3mis
    I've tried Chome 49.0.2623.72m, Edge (latest) and Firefox (45.0.1) on Windows 10 and all of them show a huge font, much bigger than the default fonts for any other pages. Not all the fonts on the page are huge; for instance the "Home / Community / General" menu displayed at the top is a pretty normal looking size.
    @JeffBail ;
    Yes, the font is larger than normal. This was how the design team and Oculus made it, and I feel like this makes things easier to read (at least for me on a 1600P monitor). I do wear glasses, but I find most website text is way too small, especially with higher than 1080P resolution monitors. But, it's probably not a difficult change if we can to adjust things in the future (after we give people some time to adjust).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Project 2501
    edited March 2016
    It looks perfect for me (3440x1440p) 
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute

I get Badges?!  KICK ASS!

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Yes, the Badges are live now. These are sort of like achievements you gain by interacting on the forum. For example, making a certain amount of posts, getting a certain amount of Likes, adding an avatar image, etc. You may also notice the star icons next to your name. There are currently 5 Levels that you can unlock based on how much you interact on the forum. For example, it looks like @ThreeDeeVision has reached Level 2. Have fun!
    Wintermute
    Love it!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Art3mis
    edited March 2016
    @cybereality I also just got the badges, they look really nice. I really like the direction this is going, I hope these will at some point be visible in Oculus home on the Rift/Gear VR.

I hope there is a Kickstarter backer badge. (PS If there is such a badge I hope there is a way to get it with my Kickstarter account using a different email address.)
    If you go to the Activity tab at the top, you'll see the points and achievements other people in the community is getting. There is even a leaderboard (and I'm actually not on the top). Congratulations @Marulu for getting number one (at the moment at least).

Wintermute
    Ooooo Vision and Max are edging me out.  IT'S ON!  LOL
    Art3mis
    edited March 2016
    cybereality Oh, thanks I didn´t know there was such a leader board.

But my number one spot is not all that fair, after my badge for 100 posts didn´t show up I wanted to know if this is because it takes the system some time to display new badges, to test this I asked a friend to like some of my old posts. But it turns out that the reason it didn´t show up was because I had not posted anything since you enabled the feature.

At least I am honest about it^^

But once people start actually using the like feature actively I will soon leave the top spot.

Art3mis
    Are there plans to integrate this forum into the Oculus Android app?

If not then I will make a Android web app for it over the weekend.
    You should be able to access the forum on your mobile browser. There are currently some issues with the different forum sections (like for developers) but the community section should be functioning. There are not plans to merge with the Oculus Android app as far as I know.
  • GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    maxpare79 said:
    Hey Cyber quoting doesn't work on my Android Phone (using Chrome)...when I try to quote someone it just writes "Null" in my comment...
    Oh the irony. I was looking for a solution to that exact same problem. Found your comment, and was about to second it, when all in a sudden it actually started working xD
    Does it work for you on PC? Cause I was having the same problem on both my PC and phone for a little bit.
  • LyleDLyleD Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for the answer @CyberReality!
    LyleD said:
    Thanks for the answer @CyberReality!
    No problem. That's why I'm here.
    edited March 2016
    Just discovered you can drag and drop images directly from a Windows file explorer window into the forum post box. It also seems to work if you are on a website (like Google image search) and right-click, do copy image, then paste it into the post area.
    Project 2501
    edited March 2016
    Yes noticed that too yesterday when uploading my pics.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    Ooooo Vision and Max are edging me out.  IT'S ON!  LOL
    If we keep on top of Cyber for a whole month we get a free Rift :) let the forum spamming begin!
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    God-awful. Big and babyish, more suited to a kindergarten. Why does it remind me of child-friendly Lollipop and ghastly Material Design?

Nothing to to with mobile version - it's the same 'orrible lookalike in FF, Chrome and IE... specially designed for those that can't make out a font size below 16.
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 270
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    There is also a "Dislike" button, which will eventually make the post hidden if enough people don't like it. This is a feature aimed at removing abusive or non-constructive posts from the feed. You should not use it if you simply disagree with someone.
    You should add "Disagree" button just before "Dislike" or it will not work this way. ;)
    Also wish you would rename "Dislike" to "Vote for remove" or like that.

Actually it is mistake to remove posts with dislikes, because there is "Flag" feature specially for that reason. No reason to duplicate it with auto-remove on dislike. You could see now lot's of dislikes under "vive lovers and switchers" posts :smiley: 
  • TrilbyTrilby Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Overall, the site looks great to me.  But, I was not a heavy user of the old forum.  I do like the font size, but the bold black boarders are a little stark.  ... killing time 'till Monday!
    Project 2501
    CR, when I try to queue with my iPhone get the word "null" on my post comment instead of the queue, why is that?
This discussion has been closed.