New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How To Guide For The New Forum

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @EliteSPA Yeah, there are a few things broken on the mobile site we're trying to fix over the next week or so. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • QuentymQuentym Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Is this a forum for mobile? The font size is HUGE on a 1080p monitor. It looks normal on 80% zoom.
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    Mostly I like the new forums. My main remaining issues with it right now is just:

1) Please have someone fix the behavior of CTRL+Arrow in the text edit boxes. Ctrl+Arrow shouldn't jump to beginning or end of a line, just word by word.

2) Can someone add (pretty please) the ability to do themes? The white/black color scheme was way too harsh for my eyes (and it seems, for others'), so I ended up adding an entry in Firefox's userContent.css file to do a quick fix, but I would rather not use the userContent trick. An option for a less "intense" color scheme would be nice (attaching screen cap of what I threw together in userContent, which, at least for me, is less hard on the eyes).

• GSSGSS Posts: 69
    Brain Burst
    facebook made the new forum didn't they? all the new design choices just remind me of going to facebook.com
    GSS said:
    facebook made the new forum didn't they? all the new design choices just remind me of going to facebook.com
    The new forum was designed by the in-house Oculus design team, though I think there was some inspiration derived from modern social networks like Facebook and Twitter. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ConstellationConstellation Posts: 211
    Art3mis
    When subscribing to threads the old forum would send a single mail when there was a new post and then it wouldn't send any more until you revisited the thread. I'm now getting a mail each time someone posts which is kind of a lot especially with busy threads like this one. Is there a way to make it work like it did before?
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,228 Valuable Player
    JeffBail said:
    When subscribing to threads the old forum would send a single mail when there was a new post and then it wouldn't send any more until you revisited the thread. I'm now getting a mail each time someone posts which is kind of a lot especially with busy threads like this one. Is there a way to make it work like it did before?
    Does it subscribe you to threads?  I haven't received a single notification by email since it switched.  And I can't see any way to tell if a thread is one I've commented in.
    I believe that's intended functionality, and I'm not sure I have the option to change it. However you can turn the emails off in your preferences and just receive in-forum notifications. You can also see on the top-right the star icon will show your bookmarked threads and how many posts are unread.

• ConstellationConstellation Posts: 211
    Art3mis
    On the plus side the links in the emails now take you directly to the thread (whereas before they'd just take you to the forum). The problem is there's just too many emails each day to make the notifications worthwhile.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,228 Valuable Player
    Ok, so you have to manually bookmark it, it doesn't automatically do it whenever you post in a thread like just about every other forum?
    @TwoHedWlf We have multiple options for notifications (including in threads you've posted in). Click the gear icon on the top right of the page and choose preferences to see your available options.
  • ktolocoktoloco Posts: 81
    Brain Burst
    How i can order the topics as creation date? I´m sorry, but this new update is not good.
    @ktoloco Sorry, I think it always shows most recent activity first.
  • AndersNolbergerAndersNolberger Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    How do I mark all topics read. I always use that feature at forum so that I can se whats new since the last visit.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,282 Valuable Player
    Cybereality wrote: " There is also a "Dislike" button, which will eventually make the post hidden if enough people don't like it. This is a feature aimed at removing abusive or non-constructive posts from the feed. You should not use it if you simply disagree with someone."

It seems there's quite a few people who haven't read this and treat the dislike button like on Youtube. Some people are disliking legitimate posts  and hounding others simply because they have a pro Vive slant. What are you going to do about educating these people?  I would create a thread about this but it's early days. Maybe a quick PM to the offending few Cyber?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ScawenScawen Posts: 589
    Trinity

JeffBail said:
    Yes, this is a problem.  It is better when you only receive one notification per thread until you next visit the forum.

It's made worse because I can't find any option to unsubscribe from a single thread.  I really do want to get email notifications for any threads I've contributed to in the past, because that is important.  But now I'm getting dozens or emails a day from this one thread so I'd really like the option to unsubscribe from it.

I know there is an option to only receive notifications from "bookmarked" threads but that is not a solution.  It's important to get a notification from all threads I've posted in, no matter how long ago, even if they are not bookmarked,
    Live for Speed - www.lfs.net
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    Is there a way to change the "Dislike" to "Report" to avoid confusion?

Out of interest, what does the Flag option do? Is that for personal reference if you want to look something up in the future?
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    edited March 2016
    @cybereality,
    I see we can toggle lights when writing a post in full page mode. Please, please make this an option when in standard mode as well. All this white is killing my eyes.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
    How do I mark all topics read. I always use that feature at forum so that I can se whats new since the last visit.
    If you go to the Categories tab from the top menu, you'll see a list on Categories in the center. To the upper-right of each category element, there is a gear icon. Click this and choose "Mark Read". Unfortunately, I don't see a way to do it for the whole forum, so you'll have to "Mark Read" on each category.

In addition, in the Discussions page, threads that have new or unread posts will appear with bold text and light background color. Threads that you have read or participated in with new posts will show a yellow bubble with the number of new posts since you last saw the thread.

Cybereality wrote: " There is also a "Dislike" button, which will eventually make the post hidden if enough people don't like it. This is a feature aimed at removing abusive or non-constructive posts from the feed. You should not use it if you simply disagree with someone."

It seems there's quite a few people who haven't read this and treat the dislike button like on Youtube. Some people are disliking legitimate posts  and hounding others simply because they have a pro Vive slant. What are you going to do about educating these people?  I would create a thread about this but it's early days. Maybe a quick PM to the offending few Cyber?
    So, the Dislike is there for that reason as well. I was just pointing that out so people didn't abuse the feature. So far people have been good about it, and I'm personally OK as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

dead4sure said:
    Is there a way to change the "Dislike" to "Report" to avoid confusion?

Out of interest, what does the Flag option do? Is that for personal reference if you want to look something up in the future?
    So Flag is for really bad stuff. For example is Baba comes back and spams the forum, you should Flag it so I can remove it quickly. Or if someone is being racist or otherwise completely out of line. There is an options for "Spam" and "Abuse". This is basically the "Report" button you asked for.
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    @cybereality Ahh nice! So we should think of the flag button as an instant report button and the dislike button as a collective report button! =)
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    How do I quote someone who didn't post here? Earlier I tried to get it to show a Palmer Luckey quote as a quote, but couldn't figure it out. I tried [quote], [quote=blah], and [quote="blah"], none of them worked.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    I thought dislike was only for pro-Vive stuff?   >:)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    edited March 2016
    @Dreamwriter said:
    You didn't really say this. Just testing making a manual quote.
    You can just press quote, do the "at" symbol and then write "said: ". 

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    Oh, I didn't know that paraphraph button had the option to choose Quote formatting, gottit.
    edited March 2016
    One thing to be aware of, when you make a manual quote, right something of your response first, then put the quote above it. Otherwise it's a little hard to make a new line (I'll look into this).
  • GoesTo11GoesTo11 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    How do I switch back to the mobile site on my phone?
    GoesTo11 said:
    How do I switch back to the mobile site on my phone?
    I'm still trying to figure that one out. Probably clearing cache/cookies on your browser would do it.
This discussion has been closed.