New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

And so it begins...

notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
Wintermute
edited March 2016 in General
https://twitter.com/alextactac/status/713351329943588865

I wonder how long after launch before someone tries to sue Vive for damage/injury caused whilst in VR?

Comments

• JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 514
    Neo
    I am more looking forward to cables being ripped out of PCs in room scale applications.
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    This and PTSD. Unfortunately you can't factor out stupidity/accidents!
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    I want to see the article about, "Man punches wife with his Vive touch controller" 
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • EmberFoxEmberFox Posts: 40
    Brain Burst

So much for that chaperone feature xD

• notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    EliteSPA said:
    I want to see the article about, "Man punches wife with his Vive touch controller" 
    Man claims, 'honesly, the camera wasn't turned on'!
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    This is one possible weakness of Chaperone.  The system will advise you that a boundary is coming up - whether you can stop in time as you pass the boundary is another issue entirely.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • RadamanthysRadamanthys Posts: 13
    edited March 2016
    No problem, the Vive controller survived all is ok :p
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    edited March 2016
    VR can get very expensive if your not carefull.
  • JohnJJohnJ Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Zoomie said:
    This is one possible weakness of Chaperone.  The system will advise you that a boundary is coming up - whether you can stop in time as you pass the boundary is another issue entirely.
    True. I've hit a wall with my hands during a Vive demo.
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    Would it not be wise to set the boundaries short of actual physical objects to avoid exactly that from happening? I understand that this limits the space but if it's a decision that stops you from damaging yourself or expensive equipment...
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    This guy's space was 3x3 meters which is roughly 10 x 10 feet. When I read the topic I though he had a much smaller playspace than that. 65 inch TV ain't all that cheap. Ouch!
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    That is a bummer. I guess in the meantime he will have to watch movies on a 165" TV in VR.

Now we need some type of hard foam to cover TVs. 
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Didn't read the article. Let me guess, Space Pirate Trainer?
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    My bet is on some sort of sword simulator.  Judo CHOP!   :'(
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • GtAwyFrmMyRamenGtAwyFrmMyRamen Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    edited March 2016
    JakemamOculus That's actually what I've been most concerned about! I've been trying the think of easy methods to reinforce both my PC and HMD side of the cord so If I accidentally pull on them too hard nothing snaps.
    Normal thought for a runner who's lost 20+ earphones from simple tugging over time.
    Wintermute
    I heard there is some sort of breakout box for the Vive that would release the chord before ripping it out of the PC.  You could even anchor the breakout box to be double safe.  I think I will mount my breakout box to my desk somehow, so it should be impossible for me to damage the PC.  Even if the Rift doesn't have something like that, it is possible to anchor your cable and leave some slack to the PC to get the desired effect.

Another key thing is to play either barefoot or in socks so you can feel the chord.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    edited March 2016
    @ThreeDeeVision Yea the break out box helps the cords disconnect so it wont damage the PC. I read a user who pulled on the cables while in the Vive and they just disconnected from the box. 
  • LyleDLyleD Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    something to be said about not using room scale
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Breakout box comes with double stick tape pad.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,783
    Project 2501
    I would be less worried about breaking some pc ports and more worried about my VIVE HMD... Replacing a motherboard cost a lot less then the HMD and if you break 1 or 2 usb ports on the mobo there are easy workarounds... HDMI port of the GPU as well... Damaging a port on the headset...I would end up in a foetal position in a corner sucking my thumb and crying lol...

I remember back on my DK2, I showed Affected to a girl I know and a jump scare made her step back like 5 feet from my pc and yes she was seated and she ripped the cords out... I said "umm ok I think you are done for today"
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Wintermute
    @maxpare79 Damn!  That would have sucked.  It would have been hilarious until the potential damage though.  Always funny to watch noobs in VR.  My friend was trying Sightline The Chair for the first time and did a header right into my keyboard with the DK2 when the chair flipped at the end.  I laughed my ass off and thanked god the DK2 was tough enough to take it.