cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debris on the Screen

Derydoca
Honored Guest
I have been playing with the rift over the weekend and love it, but the main issue I have right now is specs of dirt or debris from the Oculus landing on the screen when changing out the eye cups. I don't wear glasses, but my friends do. So, when I want to show my glasses-wearing friends the Rift, I have to replace the eye cups which always leads to some speck getting on the screen.

My suggestion is that for the consumer unit, insert a glass or plastic shield that covers the hole below the eye cup slot. That way, if something does fall in that area, you can easily wipe it off with a microfiber cloth or something like that instead of having to touch or blow on the actual screen itself.

Hopefully someone from the Oculus team sees this. I figure they may have had the same thoughts as me, but since I have not seen anyone on the forums mention this, I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there.
8 REPLIES 8

Dycus
Honored Guest
I believe the little manual that comes with the headset recommends that you turn it upside-down while changing the eye cups to minimize the amount of debris that gets in. Have you been doing that?

Dust in the headset is a problem right now, unfortunately. A can of compressed air or a microfiber cloth should help you get it out.

Derydoca
Honored Guest
I haven't been changing the lenses with the unit upside down, but I figured that would be the best way to do it. The trouble is that it is awkward and not intuitive. I understand this is a developer unit and that the device isn't perfect yet, it's just something I would like to see in the unit that goes in consumer's hands since it is doable and would have the added benefit of protecting the screen.

cybereality
Grand Champion
We're investigating solutions for the consumer version to avoid problems like this. For the time being, your best bet is to use a microfiber cloth or compressed air to clean the screen, and then switch eye-cups with the display facing down. I agree this is not the best ultimate solution, but it's the best thing for now.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Porkhe_Pigatov
Honored Guest
That reminds me, I ran into a couple situations with my loaner devkit where I found myself wishing that the headset faceplate was hinged and gasketed so that it could be flipped open to view or access the screen directly. I suspect that would also make the display easier to clean.

dgradt
Honored Guest
Best product I ever bought. Never again will I buy a compressed air can.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED50 ... B001J4ZOAW

Just use the air concentrator nozzle that comes with.

Derydoca
Honored Guest
Awesome. Glad to hear this is being taken into consideration. I'll just be cautious with the dev unit.

MrGeddings
Explorer
my recommendation is to pick an eyecup that works best for you and just leave it like that. That limits the risk of dust and what getting in the rift or messing up the screen itself. If others try it out or use it then well they'll just have to deal with that but if you can (unless your working with a group of people. then that might be an issue) but if you can help it. For me i am going to most likely leave the default cups in and not even open up the other two :-).

seifer2139
Honored Guest
I'll just buy 3 Rifts, one for each lens - Issue Resolved