Closeup with Vive lenses (image) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Closeup with Vive lenses (image)

KarmeckKarmeck Posts: 28
edited March 2016 in General
http://imgur.com/a/5gPLC

Not my images. Shows some screen door effect. But I was told then the image move and you move it become less obvious.

Comments

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Seems very noticable if you're specifically looking for it.  But then...Don't look for it, plus movement, plus some willing suspension of disbelief plus the Rift being marginally better....Is it really an issue?
  • WelbyWelby Posts: 1,063 Oculus Start Member
    I have the Vive PRE and no,the SDE isn't an issue.

I have tried the CV1,and again no.. the SDE isn't an issue anymore. Yes you can eventually see it but definitely not when you're paying attention to the game.
  • Rigel80Rigel80 Posts: 60
    Trigonometry... This unknown.... If you really want to have an idea of the SDE of the Vive (and also the Rift) you only have to watch a 42" full hd TV from the distance of 1 foot. The SDE may be a little smaller but the aliasing will be the same (if you have tv of another dimension and whant to know the distance from which to watch just make the proportion).
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    Well I believe it was last week leaker that said that the VIVE SDE was still present just thinner lines and really not an issue, no big deal...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    Totally wouldn't bother me at all! I'd say that image quality looks quite nice actually! =)
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    edited March 2016
    Holy hell.  That looks fantastic.  If the Rift has even equivalent optics, I'm going to be VERY happy.  
    I know it has to be more pronounced than we're seeing on our computer screens, but from all reports there's a very fine black grid overlaid on the Vive, and the Rift looks like a slight light/dark pattern instead of fine lines.

And this is just the beginning.   :p
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    When you said there was somke screendoor i expected worse, i didn't even notice it at first glance and even when i did, it doesn't look too bad.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,692 Valuable Player
    edited March 2016
    I'm not sure how accurate these images are compared to having the lenses close to your eyes but it's looking promising. I am more concerned with how blurry the image is when you're looking at distant objects and off center of your focus. This is more apparent when watching video/movie based content though.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    On Reddit there's a lot of back and forth speculation about how accurate any of this is. I wont believe a word till @ThreeDeeVision gets both HMDs and does a hands-on comparison for us.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 606
    Art3mis
    Oh no, not the comparison videos, there's so many on youtube of ps4 vs PC vs xbone. None of it really matters at all, it's all about the experience. gameplay, and immersiveness. 
    i
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    richhard1 said:
    Oh no, not the comparison videos, there's so many on youtube of ps4 vs PC vs xbone. None of it really matters at all, it's all about the experience. gameplay, and immersiveness. 
    i
    Not a video per se, I trust ThreeDeeVision to simply report any findings. Video proves nothing.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • DLC1DLC1 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I experienced a vive demo in Portland Or. last summer, I tried the demo of the ship wreck, the painting demo, the robotic lab demo, I never noticed any screen door effect, in fact it looked amazing to me, I swore id be first in line for a vive after the demo, ultimately decided on a rift. ive followed rift from the beginning and felt that possibly rift has more enthusiastic support behind it to succeed.... I do feel though both headsets will be amazing, I 100% can say after trying vive first hand its really amazing, I'm expecting rift to be the same. 
    Both of these headsets are amazing considering where this technology was a mere 5 years ago.  This was discussed months ago, but the benefits of higher pixel density have been largely maxed-out for computer and cell phone screens.  The new driving force is going to be VR.  The same could probably be said for video-cards, but not to the same degree.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • bp2008bp2008 Posts: 256
    Art3mis
    Kind of looks like Gear VR.  Though I think it is mostly the obvious pentile pixel layout making me say that.
    I get the feeling SDE is going to be less of an issue than pure information density.  When playing racing or flying games, the largest problem is trying to see things far away like an enemy fighter or the turn at the end of a long straight section.  Until now, SDE appeared to be the factor limiting our ability to see high detail.  Now with SDE mostly gone, people will realize that it's the overall resolution of the device limiting our perception.

I can see this being the big selling point of CV2 for both companies.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,989 Valuable Player
    Gotta admit I think it looks great. Way better than dk2 and perfect for gen1 VR
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    How can you judge the SDE in this way??? If you're looking at these images from a small screen you will seem zero SDE, if you're looking at the same images on a 84-inch screen it will seem to have a much bigger SDE. The entire idea of this post seems so silly to me...
    edited March 2016
    Yes and no.  Zoom the photo of the holodeck arch.  You can clearly see the SDE there.  This gives a sense of the width of the SDE compared to pixel size. You can also get a feel for the focal 'sweet spot' of the Vive, which looks similar to the DK2, at least for me.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    As Vizionvr said In ThreeDeeVision we trust lol. I will take the word of someone that I had numerous discussion with, and that seems totally unbiased over some random post/picture on reddit...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Is it typically so blurry?
    edited March 2016
    Zoomie said:
    Yes and no.  Zoom the photo of the holodeck arch.  You can clearly see the SDE there.  This gives a sense of the width of the SDE compared to pixel size. You can also get a feel for the focal 'sweet spot' of the Vive, which looks similar to the DK2, at least for me.
    I know, but this only if you want to compare the SDE of the two HMD. But the most here doesn't know the amount of the SDE of DK2. They only see an SDE barely noticeable and they make a wrong  idea of the SDE that they will see in the Vive.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Any blur in those images could be caused by the lenses, it would be impossible to simulate what your eye will actually see when you put on the HMD.  The center of the image looks nice and crisp though, which would probably be the sweet spot in the lens where your eye sits.  I like what I see, looks like a big step up from the DK2 in pixel density.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    Even in a DK1 through the lenses captures look a lot better than what you see while wearing the headset.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Interesting, as others I will wait for a none paid source who has both to give an opinion.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    I manage to see sde in imax projection on greyish white surface :( live with it, sde is part of vive cv1…
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    As @Zoomie says, screendoor is real problem looking at stuff far-distance (and it's annoying mid-distance). Close-up is fine, even with DK2. But if screendoor is simply replaced by some sort of mild blur that masks screendoor then the concerns about quality will remain.
  • DLC1DLC1 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    again...after having tried the vive first hand, I looked for the screen door and while you are In the VR game/demo it just wasn't there....I think you all are worrying too much about it....they wouldn't release a consumer product with that big of a flaw... they would be blasted by thousands of pissed irritated buyers......when you all get your headsets I think you all will be pleasantly surprised.
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    way too much pixels and SDE

its why im waiting..... waiting ... waiting... at least thats what im telling myself but I seem to have Multiple brains
  • USMCGrunt0307USMCGrunt0307 Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned that part of the photographed SDE could be because the camera captures part of the screen refresh.  Any time I take a picture of a monitor, it has a similar "film" over the image.  Not denying that there is an SDE to this generation of HMDs, only that these images may have the SDE exacerbated by the camera taking the shot.