New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Elite: Dangerous - Oculus Home key now available

SOTBMPSOTBMP Posts: 56
Hiro Protagonist
Hello Commanders,

We can get now our Elite: Dangerous keys to Oculus Home:
https://www.frontierstore.net/frontier_partnerkeys/

Comments

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    Got mine. We just need the SDK now.
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • m0biusm0bius Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    Do you know if there's any difference at all between the [standalone version + SteamVR] and the [Steam "Oculus Rift"] version?  I can't find anything online about it.
  • gruegrue Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited March 2016
    FYI, to redeem the key, go to the oculus home app, click on the gear in the upper right, click Settings and then Redeem Code, and then enter the code they give you for (Oculus Rift).

• DavidCDavidC Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    I've got my key from the partnerkeys page but it's not working properly for me at all.

I've redeemed the code in Oculus Home and can run the game from the Home Library. However the game runs on the monitor and the Rift just gets a space background.

See http://imgur.com/a/EYlWc

If I press the Xbox Home button on my XB360 controller, you can see that I get the standard Oculus menu in the Rift but the main game stays on the PC monitor. How can I get the main game to display in the Rift?

My PC is running Win 10 and I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers today (GTX980).

Cheers,

DC
  • Superman217Superman217 Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    edited March 2016
    Humm, I clicked mine and nothing happened.  I have ED and ED:Horizons linked to Steam but when I click the [CLAIM A KEY FOR ED (OCULUS RIFT)] nothing happens.  

I wonder if it's the same key?  I might hold off until my Rift gets here.
    Ryzen 7 1700 | MSI Tomahawk B350 | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 RGB | nVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
  • Superman217Superman217 Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Went back, clicked it again, and the key appeared.  =) Going to go claim it now.  =)  Then all I'll need is my Rift.  =)
    Ryzen 7 1700 | MSI Tomahawk B350 | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 RGB | nVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
  • snorbitzsnorbitz Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Sweet , claimed my key ... Just need a Rift now.... ;)  
  • MrGrumpieMrGrumpie Posts: 28
    Apparently you don't need to claim any keys...it's just to allow access from the Oculus store.  You can play E:D in VR, through Steam as well...
  • Does the E:D Key redeemable on Oculus include the Horizons Season Pass, and will it include the others going forward?

I'd prefer to launch it through Home as I'm sure some of these sessions will take place either directly before or after I use another app from within Home, so not having to leave the headset would be a plus. But if it does not include the Horizons content, then I would definitely have to continue launching through Steam.
  • UrbanZubrUrbanZubr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys, having the issue of the game only showing the space and a hourglass in the rift, while the full thing is on the display. Any idea whats up?
  • STRICK9STRICK9 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    UrbanZubr said:
    Hey guys, having the issue of the game only showing the space and a hourglass in the rift, while the full thing is on the display. Any idea whats up?

I had the same issue. I went into the game settings to graphics and changed the display to Headphones, as well as enable Side by Side 3d. don't ask me why but this worked for me.
  • nickandersonnickanderson Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2016
    aUrbanZubr said:
    Switching to HMD headphones works for CV1
  • The game is rotated 90 degrees for me, something I've never seen in E:D before with the Rift (still using DK2).  My second real display is rotated like that, I wonder if that somehow has to do with it.  But even though things are rotated like that, everything is incredibly smooth! :)  
  • I'm having the same problem several people have mentioned above. Launch the game from Oculus Home. It loads the egg timer and a space background in the rift but the main game is being displayed on my monitor. Any ideas?
  • GKirkGKirk Posts: 5
    Humm, I clicked mine and nothing happened.  I have ED and ED:Horizons linked to Steam but when I click the [CLAIM A KEY FOR ED (OCULUS RIFT)] nothing happens.  

I wonder if it's the same key?  I might hold off until my Rift gets here.
    On the frontier site you have to disconnect from 3rd party sites (Steam)  ( another menu selection below "partner keys").
     I did this and then tried the claim again, and it worked, giving me an Oculus Key/Phrase. Hope that helps.
  • SOTBMPSOTBMP Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wonder if it's the same key?
    I've claimed and activated both Steam and Oculus keys. Everything works.
    Nevertheless I'll hold on my standalone version (Frontier launcher).
  • darkgaizatdarkgaizat Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    STRICK9 said:
    I had the same issue. I went into the game settings to graphics and changed the display to Headphones, as well as enable Side by Side 3d. don't ask me why but this worked for me.
    This worked for me! Thanks! craziness.
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    edited March 2016
    This is nice that they allow a cross store redeem key ! and it worked for me :) Even if i am likely to run the game from steam anyway :)
  • watanoyanwatanoyan Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Got keys and redeemed.  Wait for my cv1 ............
  • Fredd32Fredd32 Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    so I would like to support oculus store. my rift will not be here til July,  can I download oculus home, buy elite and play on my monitor?
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    For anybody who already has the CV1, how is the text in ED compared with the DK2.
    Is it now readable?   I know it kind of was before, if you lean in..but it wasn't great, IMO.
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • BBZ149BBZ149 Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Quick question, I already have the Steam version installed. If I use the Rift Key, will it download the Game again or just link to the Steam Download?
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    I have the standalone version using Frontier Launcher and never claimed for the Steam or Oculus Home key. In any case I'm interested to know the answer of the above question (@BBZ149) : If I claim the Oculus Home key, does the game will be reloaded in the Oculus directories? It's not about the save game as they are in the cloud, it's more to know if I will have to keep both versions if it reload, and/or if I can uninstall the standalone one safely after this...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    It will download it again and install it in the Oculus Home location.  Steam and Home are completely independent.
    Brain Burst
    Thanks Guys, Ill try it when I get back to the UK as in Spain for another Week :smile: Bit dumb having to install it again when its already installed just to be able to run it from OH! why cant Oculus just add a bloody shortcut to OH from the existing install :| Anyway been watching loads of Youtube Guides on how to play the Game while away! 
    YoLolo69 Yeah no point having both versions, but youll probably have to install the Steam install if you ever wanted to play this on a Monitor, not that your likely to ever do this after playing it in VR!!
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    BBZ149 said:
    Thanks Guys, Ill try it when I get back to the UK as in Spain for another Week :smile: Bit dumb having to install it again when its already installed just to be able to run it from OH! why cant Oculus just add a bloody shortcut to OH from the existing install :| Anyway been watching loads of Youtube Guides on how to play the Game while away! 
    YoLolo69 Yeah no point having both versions, but youll probably have to install the Steam install if you ever wanted to play this on a Monitor, not that your likely to ever do this after playing it in VR!!
    You want it to link to a version that doesn't work with home in a location not managed by home, have two different applications trying to update the same application with different versions, validate different versions in the same location?
  • JohnMadduxJohnMaddux Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    ED has the option in Home to start in desktop mode, so you can still play on a monitor if you wanted (although, yeah, I don't know why you would).
    Brain Burst

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited March 2018
    I use the Stand Alone Launcher mostly but I'm trying the Oculus Key Version so I can use the auto Headphones switching plus easier to switch in VR and see any others online to add up.
    PROBLEM= it requires me to LOG IN to the Launcher and I can not! If I open the other Launcher then it complains it is already open. I can open the Shop and LOG IN there but that 's going into the browser. 
    SOLVED= ok I see I have to input my email & password yet again and then use an emailed verify code. It required trying twice as it timed out.
    PROBLEM= the sound still comes from my Soundcard into my studio speakers. I must yet again still use the audio switch new in Windows10 to set this. This is not working well! What to do?

I still have the Standalone version installed and all settings transferred. Or is this the problem that it ain't another version it's loading? Or FD did not bother to make a proper Oculus Home friendly one?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited March 2018
    "PROBLEM= the sound still comes from my Soundcard into my studio speakers. I must yet again still use the audio switch new in Windows10 to set this. This is not working well! What to do?"
    Anyone?