New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why is there a hold up on the Touch being released?

"Touch has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. Touch is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained." 

That is the message at the bottom of the Touch information page. What on earth does that mean? Why does the Federal government need to regulate a peripheral for a video game system? 

The FCC generally regulates TV/Radio and the like---not video games as far as I knew. From their website was this description: 

"The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. An independent U.S. government agency overseen by Congress, the commission is the United States' primary authority for communications laws, regulation and technological innovation." 

I'm not looking to start a big anti-government thread, but I am genuinely confused as to why this is necessary. 
Tagged:

Answers

• JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 510
    Neo
    They are wireless devices. Therefore electromagnetic. Therefore FCC.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    That's just standard waffle which (I think) they're legally obliged to display until they get certification. Unless Touch uses a frequency that is prohibited, there shouldn't be any problem getting it certified once they have the thing finalise.
  • AngyrraeAngyrrae Posts: 2
    So, by that estimation, the FCC needs to approve of all garage door openers and tv remotes? Bizarre. 
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    Angyrrae said:
    So, by that estimation, the FCC needs to approve of all garage door openers and tv remotes? Bizarre. 
    I know right =/
  • Touch is most likely delayed to improve the design, let developers complete their touch games for launch and to sort out any sort of future shipping delays. 
  • greeneblitzgreeneblitz Posts: 126
    Art3mis
    I think they are in the process of "redesigning" or tweaking the design according to a recent Tested ep, so I'm guessing that until the final design is complete they can't get actual approval and as others have said, anything that goes into the airwaves is regulated.
  • galopingalopin Posts: 355
    Nexus 6
    They have enough trouble with the laungh of the rift, to add the touch nowe what do you want, palmer to commit suicid ?
  • Lucky_DLucky_D Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    Angyrrae said:
    It crazy but true.  But for TV remotes, most TV manufactures have had their remote frequencies approrved by the FCC for many years, so as long as they are not changing that frequency they do not need to re-certify.  Look on your remotes, odds are there is an FCC number and logo on it somewhere.