New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

1.3 on the DK2, experiences.

wundramwundram Posts: 17
NerveGear
I just installed the 1.3 runtime for use with my DK2 and wired razer (xbox 360) controller.   It all worked great.  You can only get so far in the hardware setup process, but if you click the "skip" button it works great.   Although there was no chance to input settings for the camera height, or the IPD.  So I assume the defaults are working good enough.

The store/library software works great, and is huge improvement over other systems for VR and launching software.   The controller integration works fine with a non xbox one controller.    But you do need some kind of controller.  You have to press the A button to move past the warning screen when launching apps.

I tried some of the concepts, and the Jaunt app.  All work fine.  The Jaunt app feels like watching a movie on an OmniMax at the museum.  

I noticed an interesting scale issue.  When watching the "house party" VR video, all of the people appeared to be super short and small.   But if I stood up (I was sitting), all the sudden they were the right size.   If I watched them while standing, it looked like they were growing before my eyes.   It seems that your apparent eye height relative to others, and your current configuration (sitting, standing, etc..) have a lot to do with how you determine scale, especially of other people.

Anyway, even with the DK2, this software makes it a whole new experience.  I can't wait to try the Vive and CV1 when they arrive.  :smile: 

Tagged:

Comments

• KNP54KNP54 Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    OMG! I just played Lucky's tale with my DK2 and it's pretty amazing! I've only done 3 or 4 levels but the game feels incredibly polished and fun to play! Can't wait to try it out with the real deal (CV1) !!!
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 291
    Nexus 6
    Anyone try Elite Dangerous yet? I'm stuck at work waiting to go home and try it....
  • GabdimGabdim Posts: 6
    but how to Play my Vr steam Games now with my DK2? it says ; Unknow source...
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    well the software made win 10 start bar bug happen

and you have to have your DK2 on while you are in the store? no way of turning the DK2 screen off?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Synthetic said:
    and you have to have your DK2 on while you are in the store? no way of turning the DK2 screen off?
    The consumer Rift has a proximity sensor so it turns off when you remove the headset. DK2 unfortunately doesn't have this feature. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kuabikuabi Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Anyone try Elite Dangerous yet? I'm stuck at work waiting to go home and try it....
    Just gave it a quick try and working great. Joysticks still work ok, so no need to get a xbox controller, at least for this. Time to re-install voice attack me thinks. Just now waiting for a update from DCS World and i'll be happy.
  • LKostyraLKostyra Posts: 263
    I wanted to make the same thread, but to avoid mess on the Forums, here we go.

Oculus Home:

Whoa. This was my first opinion. Very, very nice piece of software. And a really great starting point for other applications.

Everything works out of the box. I do not have my CV1 yet, so all here is tested on my DK2, but this is really a consumer-level software. Great job, Oculus Team.

Lucky's Tale:

Naturally, the first thing I wanted to try is the bundled Lucky's Tale. And, to my surprise, it worked flawlessly on DK2!

Seriously - no lag, no judder, constant 75FPS all the way on my GTX 760. I can safely withhold buying a new GPU until my CV1 arrives, which is an amazing news for me. Of course, these games and experiences won't be the same, as they all assume I have CV1, but for the time being, this will do.

Overall:

I am in awe. Really great job. If the hardware is half as good as they say, I can rest assured, that buying a Rift instead of Vive is a good choice for me! Solid 10/10.

Now, where is my CV1 pre-order? :neutral: 
    DK1: Received
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
    CV1: (Jan 6) Pending
    Rig: i7 4770 / GA-Z87X-D3H / GTX 760 / 16GB RAM
  • LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    kuabi said:
    Just gave it a quick try and working great. Joysticks still work ok, so no need to get a xbox controller, at least for this. Time to re-install voice attack me thinks. Just now waiting for a update from DCS World and i'll be happy.
    You notice any difference in frame rate or judder or such things? What graphics setting in Elite did you use? I'm using VR High. Haven't noticed much diff since switching over to the official ED luancher from Steam (ie. no SteamVR).
    Trinity
    anyone got SteamVR working :cold_sweat: 
    hahahha... new update and my whole system breaks
  • BlissBliss Posts: 2
    My DK2 isn't working.  It just tell me to put on the headset and my camera never cuts on and the dk2 never gets a blue light.  It's like it thinks I have a CV1 but I don't.  I can't seem to get the new software to go through the setup again.  I uninstalled the new 1.3 and reinstalled it and it never goes back to the setup.  It's just stuck on "continue  in VR" screen.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    Elite Dangerous dont work for me. I got it directly from FD, I startup the game, recognizes the rift (camera and HMD on) in the hmd I just see the word loading but nothing happens and my monitor shows the game. Used the 64 bit version and running W10, latest nVidia drivers updated.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Trinity
    yes eliteSPA
    thats what Im trying to get working.... running off steam

it seems to have broken compatibility with steamVR and elite.... its 3am in the morning and im not fiddling around tooo much with it ATM....
  • VRsteveVRsteve Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    Elite Dangerous working great here. Nice and smooth.

I redeemed my game key and downloaded via Oculus Home.

No problem so far.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,761 Poster of the Week
    Synthetic said:
    yes eliteSPA
    thats what Im trying to get working.... running off steam

it seems to have broken compatibility with steamVR and elite.... its 3am in the morning and im not fiddling around tooo much with it ATM....
    EliteSPA said:
    Elite Dangerous dont work for me. I got it directly from FD, I startup the game, recognizes the rift (camera and HMD on) in the hmd I just see the word loading but nothing happens and my monitor shows the game. Used the 64 bit version and running W10, latest nVidia drivers updated.
    Why don't you just grab it from Oculus Home, might save you some headaches?
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Trinity
    ahhh we have to redeem it in the store

thanx alot VRsteve
    Adding the info about one of the free experiences, Oculus Dreamdeck

All fluent on GTX 760 as well. Even though the app requires you to look behind you from time to time (which on DK2 is not comfortable, no 360 positional tracking), this is right now my first demo to use when showing the Rift to friends. Really beautifully done.
    DK2: (Jan 26) Pending => (2nd Feb) Processing => (3rd Feb) Shipped => (6th Feb) Received
  • nightauditor1981nightauditor1981 Posts: 302
    Nexus 6
    Sounds awesome guys! I am still at work, so I have to wait for a couple of hours to install everything (with the DK2, not the CV1 yet). Has anyone tried Project Cars yet with the DK2 and the new runtime?
    Trinity
    Diddnt know.... have to go to frontier store..... get partner keys.... claim oculus key.... then redeem key in new store

walah saved money

dont know what the people that only have it on steam will do... Incoming a billion posts about it :tired_face: 
  • kuabikuabi Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Lusca said:
    kuabi said:
    You notice any difference in frame rate or judder or such things? What graphics setting in Elite did you use? I'm using VR High. Haven't noticed much diff since switching over to the official ED luancher from Steam (ie. no SteamVR).
    I only had time to spend a few minutes on it. Clean install via the oculus shop and the setup set it at VR High. Didn't see any lag or judder but again I only spent a few minutes on there. Hopefully I will have more time tomorrow to give it a proper run out.
    Synthetic said:
    Diddnt know.... have to go to frontier store..... get partner keys.... claim oculus key.... then redeem key in new store

walah saved money

dont know what the people that only have it on steam will do... Incoming a billion posts about it :tired_face: 
    Well, if you have it only on steam, what is the issue?

I had my copy bought on Steam, however I could go to Frontier Store, log in through my Elite account and get a key for Oculus Home there (just did it). No problems whatsoever.
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    elite dangerous works flawlessly now :)
  • Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    I've got Lucky's tale working but my 360 Afterglow joypad won't work. Don't tell me its incompatible?
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
    Trinity
    just ANOTHER install of Elite wont harm you!!! aussie internet will be done with it in about 5 hours :(
  • kuraikamikuraikami Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    How do I redeem a key in Oculus Home?
    Trinity
    top right cog > settings >redeem

Im now trying to add Project cars too..... however steam doesnt give me a key.... sweet
  • LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Lusca said:
    kuabi said:
    Actually, I do notice it being smoother. No noticeable judder at all for me at this point, whereas before I would sometime see a bit. The frame rate looks like it's gone up because things appear clearer. I never tested my frames previously though. And the better frame rate may also be because I've moved over from SteamVR.

From what I've seen Oculus has done a very nice job. Frontier/Steam made me jump through a few hopes top get to the point where I could launch separately, but I got there.
  • STRICK9STRICK9 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    Cant get Elite Dangerous to launch in the Rift. I installed Elite Dangerous to Oculus Home. and when I launch from oculus home it tells me to remove the headset and and login, I do that and press play and launches SBS on my desktop. What did I do wrong? lol
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,179 Valuable Player
    Where can you find your elite Dangerous serial Key again? I've totally forgot since I last placed the key in Steam.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,761 Poster of the Week
    STRICK9 said:
    Cant get Elite Dangerous to launch in the Rift. I installed Elite Dangerous to Oculus Home. and when I launch from oculus home it tells me to remove the headset and and login, I do that and press play and launches SBS on my desktop. What did I do wrong? lol
    My guess is launch the edlaunch.exe directly from the Oculus/software/Elite folder, do your registration, enter the verification code and then close it...go back in Oculus Home and try launching it again
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 733
    3Jane
    Wow! simply wow!

Took three pc reboots to get everything working with the DK2, but damn!

If the Oculus Dreamdeck is anything to go by the we are in for one hell of a future. That alien looks so damn real and really freaky the way he follows your movements.

Not tried any games yet...working my way up to them :)

Can't wait to see what improvements the CV1 makes because this is already a huge improvement with the DK2.

Congratz Oculus you did an excellent job ;)