New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Disable "Your computer doesn't meet Rift's recommended specifications" message in Oculus Home?

Comments

• dft69dgdft69dg Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    It wont work for me, i tried it and still comes up with the warning.....
     i7 960 @ 4.1 with a 980ti and run project cars @ 90fps aswell as anything else! Get rid of it Oculus.
  • SRossiSRossi Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    OCd 2500k. Let us disable the notification please!
  • DesGresDesGres Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Totally Agree, Jumped through hoops to try and disable, have a 3770k 4.6ghz and incompatible USBs , 980ti watercoolled and more than enough memory , really smooth experience , but message is frustrating!
  • abufrejovalabufrejoval Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    +1 for disabling this stupid warning: Using a Xeon E3-1280 v3 @ 4GHz and a GTX 980 TI with the CV1 which definitely beats the recommended Rift mininal spec, yet I also keep getting this bloody reminder.

Moved my DK2 to a Phenom II X6 @ 3.6 GHz and a Radeon 290X, where performance isn't an issue either, even if there is no USB 3 (I believe DK2 didn't even like USB 3 for the camera).

Again this perpetual warning is just annoying.
  • AdKiuCMAdKiuCM Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    +1

3770K @4.6GHz + 980ti as well as ASmedia USB 3.0 built in in motherboard. Rift will be connected to other compatible USB3.0 port. I am still using ASmedia for other peripherals like external music card, mouse and keybard etc.

SteamVR shows 11 points....

• ThorsilThorsil Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    +1

Seriously, this needs to be disabled with a click. I don't need my hand held throughout the entire experience.

Infinitely annoying...
  • o-Axle-oo-Axle-o Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    +1 for option to acknowledge and remove message.
  • UsernameNotFoundUsernameNotFound Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    +1 to have an option to turn the freaking msg off!
     GTX980Ti G1 + i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz! 
  • Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 364
    Trinity
    @cybereality ; Can you comment on whether or not this is being looked into?
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
    @cybereality ; Can you comment on whether or not this is being looked into?
    +1 and would love to hear from @cybereality also ;)

CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • devz3rodevz3ro Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Create a .bat file and add the following 3 lines to it. Right click & run as administrator. Works on my i7-3770K

net stop OVRService
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0" /v ProcessorNameString /t REG_SZ /d "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz" /f
    net start OVRService
  • HavokzProdigyHavokzProdigy Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    I need this off as well.
  • Master-GuyMaster-Guy Posts: 14
    devz3ro please confirm that it is your GPU that is not up-to spec, as what you are doing is changing the name of the CPU, not the GPU.. All these people (and me) want a solution for the GPU.
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    devz3ro please confirm that it is your GPU that is not up-to spec, as what you are doing is changing the name of the CPU, not the GPU.. All these people (and me) want a solution for the GPU.

You might have misread this and other, similar threads.

By far the most common issue across multiple threads has been the inability to (within the GUI) disable the inaccurate and misleading warning messages triggered by various CPUs not matching against Oculus' minimum CPU requirements list despite single core performance exceeding that of the cited minimum.

In this thread specifically, all but one of the posts where hardware was cited the issue was clearly a matter of an older CPU (often a K-series processor) being paired with a newer GPU (the 980 Ti was commonly cited).  There was one case of an AMD CPU and GPU pairing, and I'm not familiar enough with AMD chipsets to know how either performs relative to the minimum suggested requirements.
  • devz3rodevz3ro Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    I don't have a solution for the GPU - I own a GTX 970 (supported GPU) and a i7-3770K which is better / more powerful than the minimum required CPU.

As Jon mentioned, the theme of the thread seems to be the CPU causing the warning, not the GPU.

I forgot to mention to anyone that's using the bat file I posted, it will need to be ran on every startup, as the values are reset / overwritten by the system.
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    A useful post by @BitVar to remedy this:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36677/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message

I haven't tested it myself, as I have an above minimum CPU. Looks super legit though. B)
  • BitVarBitVar Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    @RobHermans if people really want it for GPU too I can do that as well. If I make one I'll post it in my thread.
  • AdKiuCMAdKiuCM Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    This registry workaround is probably fine, but it misses the point. I do not want to be forced to cheat the system changing CPU name. Also in my case I have got multiple USB 3.0 controllers. Rift will be plugged into compatible while other "non-compatible" will be used with other equipment.
  • KilRufKilRuf Posts: 1
    I'm on a 2500K @4.8 with a 980Ti. Both watercooled and no issues with running games but I do have the warning as well. It is a little annoying to see. Maybe they can turn it off somehow and only have it pop up on start up. That would be nice. I did have the warning with the USB as well. But I changed out to the recommended one and it fixed a few issues. So far so good.
  • BitVarBitVar Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    AdKiuCM said:
    This registry workaround is probably fine, but it misses the point. I do not want to be forced to cheat the system changing CPU name. Also in my case I have got multiple USB 3.0 controllers. Rift will be plugged into compatible while other "non-compatible" will be used with other equipment.
    What you are asking probably won't change so either accept the workaround or continue to be pissy for no good reason.
  • ThunderSqueakThunderSqueak Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    Tbh, I think the message should have a way to turn it off as their check algorithm is very flawed.  I could see it being there if for instance, if it actually did a benchmark on the system before deciding that your performance is not up to par.  

That being said, too bad it can't be turned into something useful, like say...  twitter or facebook feed.
  • Am i missing something. . .? . .  where to start. .  its a CPU compatibility issue, i have (on loan) an AMD 9590fx 8 core running at 4.8 ghz . .  the CPU compatibility screen says to check your CPU against the I5 4590 ( im assuming this is a minimum ) so all i have to do is go to the "PASS MARK"  and compare my CPU to the I5 4590. .  ok so iv done that. .  the AMD 9590fx has a passmark of 10265, whilst the I5 4590 has a passmark of 7209....it states higher is better. .  sooooo . ..  why is the AMD 9590 fx @ 4.8 Ghz not good enough to run the CV1 but an I5 4590 @ 3.30 Ghz is ??  even on a single core basis the AMD appears to slaughter the Intel chip (according to the passmark numbers) if the AMD flagship cpu isnt good enough then its only compatible with intel chips. .  ?? is that the case?.. 
  • TurtlePowerRiftTurtlePowerRift Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    +1 for a way to disable the message. I'm in the same boat as most here. 
  • SOTBMPSOTBMP Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    AdKiuCM said:
    I have exactly the same problem :/
    Oculus, please, add one bloody checkbox to disable this warning!
  • Freebirth001Freebirth001 Posts: 73
    Brain Burst
    i have an amd fx9590 black edition 8 core processor running at 5ghz.

and laughably it "does not meet the recomended requirements" despite the fact that i have never once noticed a drop in framerate.

please, give us an option to disable this error. theris no concievable way that my cpu does not exceed the requirements, but this list of acceptable cpu's is blatantly intel oriented. putting lesser intel chips ahead of amd chips.

not that im saying amd chips are better than intel, but certainly the top of the line amd chip is better than the entry level intel.
  • MeioJoMeioJo Posts: 167
    A useful post by @BitVar to remedy this:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36677/permanent-fix-for-false-doesnt-meet-minimum-message

I haven't tested it myself, as I have an above minimum CPU. Looks super legit though. B)
    It seems they have removed that thread... now I'm curious.

And I'm also a +1 for allowing us to remove the message.. oh please.. oh please...

Why do we even need to ask? Do they intend to make this their stance?
  • Keylo415Keylo415 Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    I just stumbled upon this thread.. I too have an I5 2500k cpu. My question is, does this message get in the way of game play , and if so how much?
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Keylo415 said:
    I just stumbled upon this thread.. I too have an I5 2500k cpu. My question is, does this message get in the way of game play , and if so how much?

Gameplay? no.

There's just a strong correlation of people who overbuild their machines and people who pre-ordered Oculus Rifts.  To those of use with water cooled, overclocked 3770k's that stomp the minimum requirements, having to put up with a banner in Oculus Home and on every launch screen that flaunts our computer's age unnecessarily is a bit of a kick in the groin.  Business-wise, kicking your customers in the groin is high on the list of "you probably shouldn't do that" things.

See what you've done Oculus?

See how sad it looks to be told it's "too old"?

The CPU LEDs don't even light up anymore it's so depressed. 

• Keylo415Keylo415 Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    jon said:
    Keylo415 said:

Gameplay? no.

There's just a strong correlation of people who overbuild their machines and people who pre-ordered Oculus Rifts.  To those of use with water cooled, overclocked 3770k's that stomp the minimum requirements, having to put up with a banner in Oculus Home and on every launch screen that flaunts our computer's age unnecessarily is a bit of a kick in the groin.  Business-wise, kicking your customers in the groin is high on the list of "you probably shouldn't do that" things.

See what you've done Oculus?

See how sad it looks to be told it's "too old"?

The CPU LEDs don't even light up anymore it's so depressed. 

Thanks so much for the reply man. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to play my games correctly on the rift because of my cpu.. I agree this sucks that people shouldn't have to see the banner, and hopefully this is and issue that oculus will address really soon...
  • UsernameNotFoundUsernameNotFound Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    So, when is the option to switch that freaking annoying msg off coming out?
    What is Oculus oficial disposition on that?

Nobody with an overclocked CPU/GPU is fool enough to buy a new computer because of that silly msg... I hope they realize that! lol