New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus Home (SDK 1.3) and DK1

zoostzoost Posts: 14
NerveGear
I would like to receive some help and/or pointers from fellow DK1 owners as to how to get a DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home (SDK 1.3). I came as far as the Oculus Home application recognizing my DK1 as a HMD and recognizing my PS3 controller as a valid controller, but it is not allowing me to play because it want to detect a tracking sensor as well. Installing the apps also all wend fine.

Does anybody have got the DK1 to work with the new Oculus Home?
Is there a way to tell the Oculus Home to ignore the fact that there is no tracking device?

Please do not clutter this thread with remarks about buying the CV1 and/or DK2. I understand that that will be the better solution.

Comments

• mm0zctmm0zct Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    Even better would be the ability to inject 3rd party tracking for the DK1, with Opentrack for example and some markers or LEDs on the DK1 you can get positional tracking.

I'm in the same boat until my CV1 arrives, so very interested to hear about DK1 working with SDK1.3 (The SDK docs state that "All Dev Kits" should work with the 1.3 SDK, although it then explicitly mentions DK2 later on)
  • GobleStGobleSt Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine is actually "working".  On screen all motion is viewed, the issue is the black screen on the DK1 device.  The video is just not being sent to the DK1...no option to force video to the DK1.
  • MelhadfMelhadf Posts: 26
    I'm at the same point.  Everything went smoothly, installed Oculus home fine too.  Games and software install easily.  But sensor required, which is odd as after install the drivers (but before restart) it was outputting to the monitor and detecting the DK1 tracking.

Shame that us that missed the kickstarter but supported with the DK1 got left behind.
  • jank079jank079 Posts: 8
    NerveGear

I downloaded all the free stuff form the Store, uninstalled the store, reinstalleed runtime 0.8 en check if anything worked.

Nothing worked.

But now i realize thats not how i want to solve this, i want the DK1 to work with 1.3 instead of trying demo's/games on older SDK.

• EpoxianEpoxian Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Same here. I also wanted to use the DK1 with 1.3.
  • MindweaverMindweaver Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I'm in the same boat.. I want to use it as well with my DK1.. I have a June ship date for CV1.. If it would have worked yesterday I would have bought a few games.. I'm still kicking myself because I listened to Palmer when he said don't buy dk2 if you're not a dev.. wait for cv1.. I actually am developing something, but not full time. I wonder if Palmer knows it doesn't work?
  • Well, I can see I'm not the only one with this issue.  And yeah Mindweaver, Palmer is 100% aware.
  • celt2000celt2000 Posts: 7
    I got a DK1 just after the Kickstarter as well, got up early this morning specifically to install the Oculus Home software and new runtime to see what's up, and to have a look at a few of the apps before I make my mind up about ordering a CV1. Before I'd even checked if it was the right thing to do (yes, I know, I'm a moron if I complain about something I hadn't checked beforehand) I'd uninstalled the 0.8 runtime, and was downloading 1.3.0. Only THEN did I google things and find out that the DK1 isn't supported. Was this planned? I mean, was there a message somewhere on the forums or something where the Oculus guys said "oh yeah, and you might wanna consider ordering a CV1 fairly soon, because on release day we're dropping support for all legacy devices"? Did I miss that memo? What if I was developing a game on a shoe-string budget and only had a DK1 to help me program for VR? For the record, I'm not, but anyone who's actually in that situation is now boned, at least until it gets fixed.

I love my Oculus and I love VR, but I did kind of expect that when the 1.0 software got released the owners of DK1s and DK2s wouldn't just be forgotten behind huge piles of fresh sales revenue. Would love to be wrong though, it'd be awesome if there's a fix incoming; even if it's two months down the line, as long as we haven't been totally forgotten about then I'll cease my whining.
  • ccsccs Posts: 219
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am developing several things on the side. While I have a DK2 for primary development, I was still using DK1 for testing another computer with a different configuration and also to be sure my application isn't render-framerate-dependent (60hz vs 75hz vs 90hz, etc.). This lack of DK1 support in 1.3 is making me change my development work style a bit, although I can get by without it. I got screwed on the CV1 preorder day (took over an hour to get my order in due to website payment issues), so I'm down to 1 development computer for now. It seems like it would not have been that difficult to continue legacy DK1 support. I hope they fix it, otherwise the DK1 is truly a paperweight, and that seems a shame to me.
  • PathlessNomadPathlessNomad Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Another DK1 owner with a May preorder. It would be great if we could get it working. I'd love to try elite with then new runtime.
    Brain Burst
    Has anyone figured this out or have an update?
  • BoondawgleBoondawgle Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I have a DK2 so I can't try this but I am curious. Has someone with DK1 and 2 tried to get the DK1 to work with the DK2 camera plugged in? While I would not expect the camera to track anything, it might let you continue enough to get sick (I joke but its is when I do things incorrectly in VR that I get sick..). Also, while I am thrilled that I can look around with my DK2 in the store and felt good enough about it to buy pinball as I wait for CV1, I don't expect DK2 functionality to last long. Its is clearly not supported now (which does not mean it won't work) and that is what we have. I hope it continues to work a while but I don't expect it. Once it no longer functions in the store, I still won't have lost any support that I already do not have. Get and save the software to make it work now while it is easy. You can always install that somewhere and even make some simple games for it.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah I tried getting DK1 to work with DK2 camera plugged in. No go. DK1 screen still won't turn on even though software shows it is connected. I'm about to attempt a Unity build of one of my apps using new 1.3 SDK and see if I can run on DK1, but I'm not holding much hope.
  • Pierre_FRPierre_FR Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2016
    And that's not all, Unity 5.4.0b9 (64-bit) crash with 1.3 runtime and DK1 connected.

Brain Burst
    So, I tried downloading and lucky's tale and before installing it. I went to the directory and found the download folder and started the exe and it actually starts.. Where the installed stuff just hangs.. But.. and their is always a but.. lol it's at a screen that says something about it needs to pass owner ship test. The hmd never turned on, but moving the hmd around moved the camera... So, tracking is working.
  • rdbrdb Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited March 2016
    Same problem here.  Whereas the 0.8 Runtime worked fine with the DK1, the 1.3 runtime refuses to turn on the Rift display.

It would be really great to have a solution for this as my CV1 won't arrive for another few months, and I would really like to be able to develop against the 1.3 software without buying a DK2 from a third party.
    Brain Burst
    Anyone try anything new or heard anything? I guess with shipments delayed this is their last worry... Hell my shipments not until June..
  • I'm in the same boat. I hope they don't completely forget us DK1 users. It will be a while before I can afford a CV1. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I just had some minor success with DK1 with 1.3 running everything from my own app to Oculus Home and stuff in store. The big catch, however, is you must have DK2 or CV1 for this to work, and it only works for a few minutes.

1. connect up your DK2/CV1
    2. start Oculus Home and launch something so that headset powers on from sleep state
    3. exit app and Oculus Home
    4. immediately disconnect DK2/CV1 and connect DK1. Key point is to not plug anything into the USB port that was connected to the tracking camera.
    5. start Oculus Home. Your DK1 display should come up showing Oculus Home screen.

It only works for a few minutes tops before going back to displaying black screen on DK1, so it isn't good for much, but it shows the DK1 hardware is still functional. The poweroff/black screen seems related to the tracking camera being detected.
  • emacinnesemacinnes Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, it's beyond my budget to upgrade to a later DK model for the time being, maybe next year. It's so frustrating because it looks like it almost works, I can set Elite Dangerous to HMD (Speakers) mode and the head tracking works, the desktop changes scale, yet the DK1 shows only a black screen. However, turning off the oculus drivers (by plugging it into an onboard HDMI, or through an intermediate device, like an Elgato HDMI recorder, or using the DVI adapter instead of HDMI), I can actually attach the DK1 as a second display and see the desktop through it, so all the requisite bits of hardware work, but the software just isn't willing.

So close, yet so far.
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2016
    Yea, there is no way I'm buying a used dk2 for the money they are going for now. I wouldn't buy one for $350 even now. I don't even understand why they took the time to stop it from working. I've uninstalled 1.3 for the time being and install .8. What is weird is that I backed up all the software I downloaded for 1.3 and Lucky's Tale actually starts up and gets farther than it did in 1.3. I even had the Lucky's Tale folder backed up on another drive and executed it on the other drive... but still nothing to the HMD other than it turns on and then off once when I press buttons on the xbox controller.
    Brain Burst
    Anyone have anymore success?
    Hiro Protagonist
    I gave up after trying 100 different things. My DK1 is currently sitting on the shelf for the 1st time ever. My DK2 is lonely.
  • TwazzockTwazzock Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I haven't gotten my DK1 working either. :'(

I hope Oculus doesn't drop us early supporters, it's probably the only PC HMD I'll have until next year, at least.
    edited April 2016
    Twazzock said:
    I haven't gotten my DK1 working either. :'(

I hope Oculus doesn't drop us early supporters, it's probably the only PC HMD I'll have until next year, at least.
    Looks like it's too late for that.  1.3 seems to have removed lots of stuff purely to stop the older headsets.  The same reason that they enforce the sensor requirement (stops non-dk2/cv1 devices)
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2016
    Yea, but Palmer stated he would not drop support for dk1 or dk2. They are just stopping it from going to the headset. We have already seen that the sensors still work and someone has already verified that using the dk2 camera with the dk1 turns the headset on and it works for a few minutes and then cuts off. Don't say then you need the camera, because the guy has to unplug it. Plus, there is nothing in the dk1 like the ir leds for the camera to use it. I think they just have this issue on the back burner and right now it's not priority and that's fine I understand. I just hope when they smooth things out they enable it on the next update.Trust me I would not even need it if CV1 was available, but I'll have to wait till June to get mine. It's funny in a way, because I couldn't wait for March 28th to get here for the new content.. I went back to .8 and now back to dinosaur island 2 demo doesn't work.. After uninstalling 1.3 I had to delete all the leftover folders and clean the registry and then restart and install .8.. Now B2DI 2 works. [/whining]

I can't find any source for that.... I really wish I could.  Where did Palmer say that?
  • TwazzockTwazzock Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I could have sworn someone said it would be supported. The only thing I can find immediately is the line: "Every Rift can be used as a development kit." in the 1.3 SDK release on the developers blog. https://developer.oculus.com/blog/oculus-pc-sdk-1-3-now-available/

Which in my mind would mean I should be able to use the DK1 with 1.3 SDK software, whether my own or in Home.

I've used the runtime switcher to switch to 0.8 in the mean time. At least my DK1 is still functional that way. SteamVR still seems quite happy with it and just an Xbox controller as well.
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3
    The value of a DK1 as a development is greatly reduced if you can't get it to display any video output.  

I'm somewhat displeased with Oculus between abandoning a reasonable pricepoint (and whilst the price may seem reasonable in the US, it's obscene here in AU), and now the blatant lie about being able to continue using the DK1 as a dev-kit.