Honored Guest
119 REPLIES 119

MangaCorps
Honored Guest
cant wait to buy the 1080p dev kit
{}\/{}anga

AuToFiRE
Honored Guest
I can't wait, even though I just got my Standard OR, Ill definitely put down the money for the 1080p. Thats the only thing I feel that is making me nauseous.

TheGiantRobot
Honored Guest
Mr. Blunty3000 said something in there that made me jump out of my seat. He hinted at the consumer version being on shelves for THIS year's holiday season. I know its all summery now, but that's only a few months away. Surely this was just a misunderstanding and they intended NEXT year not this year.

"MangaCorps" wrote:

A prototype is not the same as a devkit.

The dev kits that are out are doing what they need to do, getting developers into the virtual environment so they can design things built specifically for the virtual space. Releasing a 1080p dev kit now wouldn't really encourage further innovation from the development side unless there are more features added than just higher resolution. It would, however, create a situation where more people would be pressured into buying the original dev kit, the 1080 p dev kit, and then finally the consumer version, which could have a negative effect on people's view of the company/product. There just aren't any good reasons to release a 1080p dev kit. Of course, it would be nice to have a 1080p version in my hand right now, but that alone is not a good reason to do it.

Come to think of it, maybe that consumer 1080p being released this year isn't so far fetched since they don't really need to release a second dev-kit. With the rapidly expanding mobile technology they may need to go ahead and just release it now, or risk being caught in perpetual development as the technology that drives the OCR itself continues to grow. Could also be with the new big money backers and the massive wave of hype that has hit, they are pushing for an earlier release than originally intended or capable of. Needless to say that's all complete tin-foil-hat-worthy speculation.

goodl
Explorer
I personally wouldnt think any worse of them for it, 720p is very limiting when it comes to distance

LucidReality
Honored Guest
"TheGiantRobot" wrote:
Mr. Blunty3000 said something in there that made me jump out of my seat. He hinted at the consumer version being on shelves for THIS year's holiday season. I know its all summery now, but that's only a few months away. Surely this was just a misunderstanding and they intended NEXT year not this year.

"MangaCorps" wrote:

A prototype is not the same as a devkit.

The dev kits that are out are doing what they need to do, getting developers into the virtual environment so they can design things built specifically for the virtual space. Releasing a 1080p dev kit now wouldn't really encourage further innovation from the development side unless there are more features added than just higher resolution. It would, however, create a situation where more people would be pressured into buying the original dev kit, the 1080 p dev kit, and then finally the consumer version, which could have a negative effect on people's view of the company/product. There just aren't any good reasons to release a 1080p dev kit. Of course, it would be nice to have a 1080p version in my hand right now, but that alone is not a good reason to do it.

Come to think of it, maybe that consumer 1080p being released this year isn't so far fetched since they don't really need to release a second dev-kit. With the rapidly expanding mobile technology they may need to go ahead and just release it now, or risk being caught in perpetual development as the technology that drives the OCR itself continues to grow. Could also be with the new big money backers and the massive wave of hype that has hit, they are pushing for an earlier release than originally intended or capable of. Needless to say that's all complete tin-foil-hat-worthy speculation.

In the first Youtube video, he mentions that they absolutely want Positional tracking in the consumer version and they're making "great progress" on that. Positional tracking adds a dimension that developers would have to account for that right now is achievable for testing with the Hydra, though it would most certainly be a bit different with native OR Positional tracking support. For this reason, I believe a Dev Kit 2 would be VERY possible

KBK
Protege
If they get the positional to be functional 'enough'.... there is no viable reason whatsoever -that I can think of- to hold back on a consumer release.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"KBK" wrote:
If they get the positional to be functional 'enough'.... there is no viable reason whatsoever -that I can think of- to hold back on a consumer release.

I was under the assumption they would want at least 1 good AAA title out designed with the Rift in mind.
I suppose it's not 100% necessary, but as interested as people are with the Rift the majority of people I know still have no idea what it is, and when I tell them about it one of the first things they ask me is 'what games you got for it?'.
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

yuanxiaoyu
Honored Guest
it is impossible for the consumer version to come out this year
because of the production and distribution cycle

1karl1
Honored Guest
Full head tracking from at least a seated players position is a must for the consumer unit,how much range the function needs is debatable.Not fussed on camera's as i'd imagine it would be such an easy mod it's not worth oculus doing to keep AR enthusiasts happy (no offence) also having cameras just so people too lazy to pull the device 4 inches up off their eyes to answer a call or text or type on their keyboard seems pretty pointless as you'd obviously have to pause any game/app to give attention to such an activity so just press pause & take the thing off your head for a minute.