New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

(Solved) "Oculus has stopped working" and no OculusSetup.log

se2se2 Posts: 24
Brain Burst
edited March 2016 in Support
Edit: See this comment for a possible solution.

I first replied to this thread as I thought it's the same issue. Apparently it's not, since I don't have an OculusSetup.log file or Oculus AppData directory.

I just made a fresh Windows (7 SP1 64 bit) installation with the newest NVIDIA drivers (364.72) in preparation.

Looking at some of the other logs posted here I noticed that I needed to install KB2670838 and KB3033929, but that didn't help either. I should pass all the other preflight checks.

All I can offer is what Event Viewer tells me:
Application: OculusSetup.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NotSupportedException
Stack:
   at System.Net.ServicePointManager.set_SecurityProtocol(System.Net.SecurityProtocolType)
   at Dawn.CertificatePinner.Initialise()
   at Dawn.DawnController.Main(System.String[])
Faulting application name: OculusSetup.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x56e7526e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7bafa
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000b727
Faulting process id: 0x1654
Faulting application start time: 0x01d18a3802e2883a
Faulting application path: C:\Users\se\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Comments

• se2se2 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Something's up with the forum as well. I made this post yesterday, but nothing happened and I figured I give it some time. Today was still no post in sight, so I re-created it. Now my post from yesterday appears twice in my profile with initially 0 views and 1 Comment, but there is none I can see.
  • m4rauderm4rauder Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same error and lack of log file to help diagnose the issue.

My build is an older rig with Windows 7 64 SP1, and I'm trying to get my DK2 up and running on 1.3. It had been running fine on 0.8 prior to Monday, and I uninstalled 0.8 to set up 1.3. My computer doesn't meet the minimum CV1 specs, but that was never a problem getting my DK2 to run. Does 1.3 setup quit if your computer fails the "Oculus-Ready" tests?
  • JpegJpeg Posts: 32
    I'm having this same issued. I just upgraded my mobo, cpu, and had a fresh install of windows 7 65 with SP1. The moment i click the oculus setup, it crashes with that same error. 
  • JpegJpeg Posts: 32
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01: oculussetup.exe
      Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 03: 56f4d830
      Problem Signature 04: System
      Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 06: 5073c71b
      Problem Signature 07: 23b2
      Problem Signature 08: 18
      Problem Signature 09: System.NotSupportedException
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 0a9e
      Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3: 0a9e
      Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• ameenb2ameenb2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here :(

Windows 7, DK2. Installer gives me same error. This is a bummer- got a preorder in the queue and the software doesn't even install. If it's not fixed soon might just cancel preorder and wait until things are smoothed out.
  • PopopinselPopopinsel Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    Are you sure you have installed all available Windows Updates? Do you have .NET Framework 4.0 installed (full not client profile)? You can find it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=17718
    Brain Burst
    I give it a shot when I'm home. The website says SP1 is supported, so requiring KB2670838, KB3033929 and .NET Framework 4.0 is a little odd. There should be a mention of that in my opinion.
    Art3mis
    kthx,

what are your system specs btw?
    Brain Burst
    Asus Z87-A (C2), Asus GTX 960 2GB (upgrade planned), Intel i5-4670K, 16 GB RAM
    Brain Burst
    @Popopinsel: Looks like .NET Framework 4.0 was already installed by some other program. The installer you linked only offers the Repair or Remove options, so everything should be fine.
  • ameenb2ameenb2 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I ran all the optional Windows updates and it seems to be working now.
    Brain Burst
    I'd like to avoid making a full update, so is this expected behavior by Oculus (and SP1 is not supported) or a bug that will get a fix in the future?
    NerveGear
    I am still running into the same installer crash. The only thing I could discern from the Windows crash message was "System.NotSupportedException". But without the log file, I can't see what is causing the hangup.

I was actually getting ready to do a clean Windows 7 install on a new drive for this machine, so I did that last night, installed all of the nvidia and Windows updates. Tried oculus setup again, and same problem. No Oculus folders left in app data. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it necessary to have the Rift plugged in when installing?

Any other thoughts to help diagnose this problem???
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you open a File Explorer window and paste this in the URL field:
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\

Then look for "OculusSetup.log" and sent that to me.

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    @cybereality: As the title says, there's no such file or directory.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you make sure that your Windows is completely up to date? If it's a fresh install, it may not have all the Windows Updates and there is some important stuff it needs.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    @cybereality: Does that mean SP1 is not supported?
    Art3mis
    edited March 2016
    kthx,

please try installing .NET 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 and test again.

Edit: did you somehow disable SSL3, TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1 or TLS 1.2?

Edit 2: the reason I'm asking this are these Microsoft Technet articles on the .NET "ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol Property" and the "SecurityProtocolType Enumeration". So it seems like Oculus setup can't select the proper SSL/TLS protocol version.
    Brain Burst
    @Popopinsel: Yes, .NET 4.5.1 did the trick! Beats me why Oculus just doesn't say so. They should hire you for support.
    Art3mis
    edited March 2016
    kthx said:
    @Popopinsel: Yes, .NET 4.5.1 did the trick! Beats me why Oculus just doesn't say so. They should hire you for support.
    Glad it worked for you, finally! :)

And yes, I'm working on that... ;)

Edit again: and please be sure to check Windows Update after the 4.5.1 installation, there might be some (security) updates available. Oh and it can't hurt to install (and update) 4.5.2 and 4.6 as well.
    NerveGear
    .NET 4.5.1 did the trick for me as well. Thank you so much! Looking forward to playing with my rift this weekend :) 
  • Avernus25Avernus25 Posts: 1
    same here :D thx :)
  • TomDiMTomDiM Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Installing the latest .NET 4.6.1 solved the problem for me (no need to install earlier 4.x versions). If you ask me, it's pretty pathetic for a software installer to simply fault and not even produce any log output simply because a necessary prerequisite is missing from the system. And this after I already had to use the /bypassHotfixCheck switch on the command line to workaround another problem with the installer. Shame on you Oculus for failing to get the basics right on this one!
  • denisdenis Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    installing .net 4.6.1 solved also my problem of error 104
  • machonymachony Posts: 2
    can confirm that installing .net 4.6.1 solved the issue for me!
  • mikuzemikuze Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    did not help me. still have a problem piping out when i try to install software "oculus setup requires the KB2670838 and KB3033929 Windows 7 hotfixes. Please install these updates and run Oculus Setup again."

• ddropskiddropski Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    me either says i have the frame work already installed

• barrygriffith99barrygriffith99 Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Having the same problem Oculus Rift setup requires Windows update KB2670838 AND KB3033929!!!!!!!!

• medewdmedewd Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've tried installing oculus home setup on my desk top and laptop, and i can' install because of these stupid hot fixes KB2670838 AND KB3033929. I'm up to date on updates, I've tried to uninstall the hot fixes and re install, I could only find one of the hot fixes to uninstall. WTF??? Please help
  • medewdmedewd Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Why are these hot fixes, KB2670838 AND KB3033929 needed to install the software? Can this be changed?