cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronos is amaze-balls

snappahead
Expert Protege
After saying I was going to save some things..especially Chronos...I cracked and played Chronos on my DK2. I didn't want to..I blacked out and when I came to I was playing it...it just happened. Don't judge me. 

Anyways, wow, is this good. If you're familiar with Gunfire Games, this shouldn't be a surprise. These are the guys that made Darksiders..an amazing and very underrated series IMO. They also made the brilliant Herobound games for the Gear VR. The best games on that system IMO. They make good games and this feels like the big brother of Herobound. It has a lot of similarities to HB and a surprising amount in common with Dark Souls. 

The combat is more methodical and deliberate like DS and will kick your ass like DS too. I was surprised by the difficulty. It's not going to coddle you like Lucky's Tale. I ran into an enemy early in the game and figured I'd be safe to run up, slap the hell out of it with my sword and go about my business, but that didn't quite happen. That little bastard humbled me and taught me a lesson. Every fight is for real in this game..at least until you level up and can handle things easier. They say you age a year every time you die. I hope my character is immortal because I think he's going to be 700 years old by the time I finish Chronos. Like DS though, it doesn't feel cheap. When you die, you know why it happened.

That's not a bad thing though. It's great. The game feels serious and isn't relying on VR as a crutch. It's for real. It's exactly what I hoped it was going to be.

It doesn't use VR as a crutch, but it sure does VR well. The fixed camera system feels cozy and comfortable. I played what felt like 15 minutes and I was surprised to see that I'd been playing for an hour. I rarely ever play VR content that long without feeling it and being ready for a break, but I had to force myself to stop. That's a GOOD feeling. I couldn't get enough of all the different areas and camera angles. Sometimes,you're behind pipes or bars and feel like you're watching things in hiding and other times, you're floating over an abyss and looking out over a big open section of the environment. I can't wait to see that next area. It's a beautiful game with incredible lighting and design and I feel like I'm being rewarded with a cool new vista when I get to each new room. I feel truly bummed when a door doesn't open..I want to see that new room! The answer is there somewhere to get it opened, but my impatience is only because of how damned cool it is to explore and discover things in this game.

Now, I just hope I can save this game until I get my CV1 and not crack again. I might need to sabotage my dk2. I'm not strong enough.

Sorry for the long posts. I've been inspired by these experiences and I haven't seen much talk about Chronos. It deserves so much attention.

TL:DR Chronos is really amaze-balls.
i7 3820 16 gigs of Ram GTX 780ti
66 REPLIES 66

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I'm looking forward to Chronos. Thanks for the review!

godwisper
Expert Protege
will surely buy today

brantlew
Adventurer
I'm in the third section of the game now and it is definitely an awesome game.  The second section is jaw-dropping beautiful.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
I will buy it as well!

snappahead
Expert Protege

brantlew said:

I'm in the third section of the game now and it is definitely an awesome game.  The second section is jaw-dropping beautiful.

I  can't wait to see it for myself. 

GunfireGames
Protege
Glad you are digging it! 

snappahead
Expert Protege
I very much am. Congrats on the release! I hope it gets the attention it very much deserves.

zacherynuk
Explorer
Just bought and had a swift blast on your reccomendation (DK2) looks good!  Took me a short while to realize that START on the Xbox controller was the "three horizontal lines" button for choosing the key to the terminal... thanks to a decent controller setup graphic 😉

GenetixStudio
Superstar
The game looks amazing... Hoping to play it the day I get my Rift, great little review.