New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Dreadhalls impressions

So I bought Dreadhalls on the Oculus store and here are some thoughts. I have not finished the game so there may be more stuff.

Firstly it looks great, nice lighting, ultra low latency and runs oh-so-smoothly on my DK2. I wish this was how it was when DK2 launched back in 2014. I noticed that the black level isn't black, it's grey and I wonder if this was done by the developer to fix black smear or if Oculus recommends or demands that this be implemented. I don't like black smear but I think I might dislike milky black even more. Kind of defeats the purpose of having an OLED panel if you don't get inky blacks, especially in horror settings.

The game is quite basic, just run around collect keys unlock new areas and avoid monsters. I have completed quite a few levels and I'm hoping there is something new ahead. There are lockpicks but all doors open anyway if you wait. There are coins that unlock hints or messages but these seem tacked on as a reason for having coins in the first place. And there are props that don't do anything which was a little disappointing. I didn't see a skeleton twitch, or a statue move, or look at me. I do get that there is only one dev and his resources may have been a bit limited.

It is creepy for sure, but I did play the demo a lot and got quite used to it and I don't think this update has enough new scares. The monsters follow you once they see you and either you get away or you don't. You can usually outrun the slower monsters quite easily. And it seemed I was able to run around for quite a while without seeing anything threatening. (It may be that things get harder later on.) I see missed opportunity for added creepiness eg. rats running around, a bat swooping down past your face and disappearing into the distance, or a feeling that something is creeping up from behind. If you noped out in the demo though, or are not into horror it's probably creepy enough that you still won't like it much.

Overall I like the game and I think the price is reasonable I just want it to be a lot scarier and have more content. I do wonder if the dev is finished working on it or if there are plans to add more stuff, or maybe make a sequel with more resources. If anyone else has bought it I'd be interested in your opinions. Thanks for reading!

Tagged:

Comments

• Z30N117Z30N117 Posts: 38
    edited March 2016
    I cant get use to the game. I scream like a woman everytime I play it. 
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 691
    Neo
    edited March 2016
    Hi

I agree with OP.  

I take it all back

I am a big fan of the original DK2 Dreadhalls, something about it is really intense!

Playing the new one, its decently made, but Im not scared at all ..much ....Im 2 levels into it so maybe it'll get more intense.
    You are right about the black levels though. You dont even need the lantern any more.

It is still VERY INTENSE!!  Loving the second stage. Those statues still scarye me big time, even tho you know what they are going to do

Anyways. Its a decent great dungeon explorer in its own right, and I appreciate the original DreadHalls, so happy to contribute the $10 to support the developer.

Cheers

-P

Edit:.... ok.....  it got me a few times A LOT now...but still agree with the black levels comment

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • darkgaizatdarkgaizat Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2016
    I bought it and I do see your point on the black levels, and after watching the trailer, I wasn't expecting to get spooked much, but I was WRONG! The monsters do get more frequent as you progress (at least it did for me), but the Random Level mode is pretty good. My only complaint is that the maps seemed to be bigger in the demo. Still, I love playing it to see if I get spooked. I really liked the ending. 

I got into the situation where I was facing a gargoyle and the MadBall (floating head) floating around behind me. I couldn't tell if it was looking at me or not, so I just ran for it and before I got around the corner the floating head saw me and started chasing me. I rounded the corner with a door and got it half way closed when it bashed through the door and killed me. It got me good.

My 3 and 5 yr old daughters get a kick out of me getting scared on this game.

I miss my MadBalls.
    8/10
    Neo
    I bought it and I do see your point on the black levels, and after watching the trailer, I wasn't expecting to get spooked much, but I was WRONG! The monsters do get more frequent as you progress (at least it did for me), but the Random Level mode is pretty good. My only complaint is that the maps seemed to be bigger in the demo. Still, I love playing it to see if I get spooked. I really liked the ending. 

I got into the situation where I was facing a gargoyle and the MadBall (floating head) floating around behind me. I couldn't tell if it was looking at me or not, so I just ran for it and before I got around the corner the floating head saw me and started chasing me. I rounded the corner with a door and got it half way closed when it bashed through the door and killed me. It got me good.

My 3 and 5 yr old daughters get a kick out of me getting scared on this game.

I miss my MadBalls.
    8/10

Sweet....will have to play to the end soon. SOunds like it ramps up!!

I appreciate the Series (this and th original) so was happy to be able to pay some $$ for this one. And decent price.

I do like they large rooms in th levels with the nice music. quite ambient

-P

Neo
    Changed my initial comment.

Love this game...it is still VERY intense! Definately worth $10!

-P

• przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for reviews. I though milky black was suggested only for GearVR not CV1. Maybe Devs just didn't think of changing the blacks while porting the game over.

How many levels are there? I understand there is random level system which increases replayability but if you want to stick to the main game how many levels until you officialy "complete" the game? I'm glad there some good content for $10 that you can play either sitting or standing.
    Neo
    I finished it today. I was bit of a pansy after getting a bunch of spooks, so got out of the level as fast as could each time, without exploring.

Probably about 10ish story levels, and the end is kinda kool actually.
    Simple but relieving.

The random map is like playing the original in a way, and has a nifty little play history thing at the end of the level showing your stats and how much you collected and explored.

Those statues still get me. I think its worse when you know how they work.

Im a fan. I think it could get more development and be a pretty amazing game! Maybe Dreadhalls2????

-P