cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen and hourglass?

Tovrin
Protege
So far this happens with Farlands and Decent Underground ....

When I start some games, the headset starts as usual, but I get a black screen and hourglass on the Rift, while the game displays normally in a windows on the monitor.

Has anyone come across this?  What's the fix?
14 REPLIES 14

zacherynuk
Explorer
I have only seen this when the game is trying to access the internet and is blocked awaiting permission to continue from a software firewall.

hassifa
Honored Guest
Are you by any chance running teamviewer or something similar.
I had the same problem with farlands, and as soon as i closed teamviewer down, it worked properly in the rift.
DK2 23rd June Australia : Delivered

Tovrin
Protege

hassifa said:

Are you by any chance running teamviewer or something similar.
I had the same problem with farlands, and as soon as i closed teamviewer down, it worked properly in the rift.

Yep.  That'll be it for sure.

imagamejunky
Protege
This has happened multiple times for me. It only lasts about 3 seconds though. No TeamViewer here.
Junky
Check out my youtube channel with Oculus Game/Demo Videos! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC85zq3 ... OkielbyReg

cybereality
Grand Champion
The black screen with the hour glass is the Oculus default loading screen. It is normal to see this for several seconds when a game is starting or switching levels.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

hassifa
Honored Guest
cybereality, the problem though (for me anyway) is that when i tried running farlands, i saw the loading robot in the rift, then there was a splash screen and warning screen on the desktop, a short postcard scene back in the rift, and finally, the main menu of the game was back on the desktop again. At this point in time, the rift showed the black screen and hourglass for how ever long the game was played. There was no head tracking either.

I eventually found out that when i closed down the teamviewer program entirely, when i launched farlands, everything was shown in the rift and mirrored to a small desktop window, not alternating as above.

The first situation was like farlands was running in a mix of both vr and desktop mode, with the desktop picture having a resolution around 1600x900 (or something similar to a 16:9 ratio), but in the second situation, the desktop was mirroring one eye of what was being seen.

If you need any clarification on what is happening, i will be happy to somehow show it to you.

hassifa
Honored Guest
So further investigation is that the QuickConnect button under the advanced settings is what is actually causing the problem.

Disabling the quick connect button allows games to fun normally when TeamViewer is running.

Yaskaleh
Honored Guest
I have the a similar problem, I just get a black screen when I enter games. I've been trying to find this "Advanced Settings" but I've been unlucky so far.

hassifa
Honored Guest
If you goto the settings of team viewer (Right click on the icon in the tray and select settings) there is an option on the left hand side called advanced. Selecting this will show a button on the right section to enable the advanced settings. Press the button, and you will find the right section populated with new options.

About half way down there is a section called 'Advanced settings for Computers and Contacts' with a QuickConnect button labeled Configure...

Selecting this button will display a new window to configure QuickConnect. On this new window, you should unCheck the checkbox that enables QuickConnect. After that, OK out of both settings windows and it should now be disabled.