New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

---> *** Oculus Rift Attraction at Six Flags Parks *** <---

Steve3DSteve3D Posts: 470
edited August 2013 in General
Six-Flags-Go-Big-Go-Six-Flags.jpg
Here are pictures of Montreal Six Flags Oculus Rift Attraction.....

The Oculus Rift is becoming more and more popular around the world....at Montreal Six Flags Parc they have many Rifts ( 6 i think...) and You can try there up to 4 Oculus Rift Games for around 8.00$ each

- Alien Attack Standing up, you shot aliens with a plastic riffle
- Delta Plane You lie down on a padded table and fly around over the Grand Canyon
- Cockpit You site down on a chair and shot around in space
- Toon City you get on a real bike on a stand and ride around a virtual city...

The Oculus Rift popularity around the world in only a couple of months since its release is exceptional and amazingly spectacular.....a real success..!

2ezh9ww.jpg
10zpcwh.jpg
2ykdglj.jpg
23jnwxg.jpg

Comments

• JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    I've read about this somewhere else (mtbs probably). But I have never seen any photos of the attraction. Thanks for sharing!
  • XemakonXemakon Posts: 188
    What's that word they are using to cover up the Oculus logo? Genial?
  • Steve3DSteve3D Posts: 470
    @Xemakon

Montreal Six Flags Parc is in Quebec,Canada mostly French...so '' Génial '' is in French and means Awesome..!
  • mstdesignsmstdesigns Posts: 298
    Does oculus allow their logo to be covered? I think it should be featured somewhere in a subtle way.
  • Xemakon wrote:
    Genital
  • saluksaluk Posts: 67
    Very interesting. How do they handle everyones different eye configurations? Just wing it?
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,000 Valuable Player
    This so reminds me of the original 1990's appearance of VR in the sector - operators using the popularity of the dream to sell short experiences.

The issues with this Six Flag installation are:

- are they using the Oculus brand name? (if so thats a no no unless permission)
    - have they a commercial use agreement to use the units?
    - are they cleaning the units after usage?
    - are they using content with permission for public usage?

The Oculus Rift DevKit is a 'Development Kit' and not for commercial usage, and with that the hardware is not suited for that sector.

We in Out-of-Home scene are planning to do public demonstration areas (for free at first), so it will be inevitable to see these 'unauthorised' installations pop-up.

Please send in any images of sites seen round the world.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist

Genial is a french word, it means "Awesome" ;) !
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
    No where they advertise the attraction as a Oculus Rift VR but i think it's great oportunity for Oculus to make the Rift even more popular....i mean hundreds of thousands will have seen the Oculus Rift so it will without a doubt help sell consumer version of the Rift next year...

Ok those guys at six flags are Probably making alot of money with this but such a marketing campaign oportunity would cost alot of money to Oculus and they have it now for free....
  • Not sure if they are making a LOT of money, I think that both parties are winners here but 6 flags should have a clear disclaimer somewhere on site that this is a development kit and not made for entertainment purposes.

Anyway, gotta go, need to tell my cousin to get his ass at 6 flags ASAP!
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    They should at least tell people what device it is. I don't know... Just a little "Oculus Rift" sign...
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
  • XemakonXemakon Posts: 188
    Yea, they even covered up the branding on the head strap too. Seems a little wrong.

On the flip side maybe it is a good thing, in case there were any liability issues. Amusement parks get sued all the time.
    @ lucsasaki

Don't forget to ask you cousin to take cool Pictures of the attraction. This attraction will really help Oculus to make the Rift even more popular so that means more money for Oculus and a better consumer version of the Rift for us all...! ;)
  • Forget Montreal, wait for this OR fever to grip the entrepreneurial center of the world, China. And there, they'll be making OR copies and ship them on time, for free, anywhere in the world.

A product this easy to copy is just too good not to be exploited.
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    The terms of use that came with my dev kit are pretty clear. The very first line states that non-commercial use is prohibited, and further down it states that commercial use is prohibited without the consent of Oculus.

USE OF THE PRODUCT: LICENSE: LIMITATIONS.
    You agree to use the Headset for your own personal, non-commercial purposes. Oculus grants you a non-exclusive non-transferable, limited right and license to use the Firmware solely in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. All rights no specifically granted herein are reserved by Oculus and, as applicable, Oculus' licencors. This license confers no title or ownership in the Firmware and should not be construed as a sale of any rights therein. You agree not to: (a) sell, rent, lease, sublicense, distribute, or otherwise transfer the Firmware without the express prior written consent of Oculus; (b) reverse engineer, derive source code from, modify source code from, or decompile source code from the Product in whole or in part, or (c) make any commercial use of the Product without the prior written consent of Oculus. Oculus shall have no obligation to provide any updates or upgrades to the Firmware, but in the event that it does, such updates, upgrades and any documentation shall be deemed part of the Firmware, and shall be subject to those Terms and Conditions.

If these guys don't already have permission from Oculus to operate commercially, then I hope that Oculus does call them and make an arrangement to allow them to continue to operate without fear of being shut down. Almost any advertising is good advertising, and it's even better when it's essentially free.
    edited August 2013
    img_5502_119.jpg
    21kywy8.jpg

This attraction at Six Flags is an awesome publicity for the Rift....Palmer should not do anything against it, many will try the Rift and want one after... ;)

( in the picture above is a Rifter on the Goliath roller coaster.....imagine being on a real roller coaster, with a Rift perfectly synchronised with a identical virtual roller coaster simulation and with virtual spectacular landscape like planet mars with volcano and lava explosing everywhere around you...spectacular sensations garantied)

rollercoaster_large.jpg
    edited August 2013
    As stated before the Out-of-Home entertainment application of the Rift will be one of the driving development channels, especially as the consumer version is still at a transitional point - we now have news of one of the first attraction installations to go mainstream:

- Location Six Flags Montreal
    La Ronde is an amusement park in Montreal, owned and operated by Six Flags - have started a investigate the creation of a VR attraction - rumors suggest the company is serious about a fully operation concept

- Oculus Rift attraction (Zone Immersion)
    La Ronde has accumulated 12 Oculus Rift HMD's for the attraction and have re-themed them with the 'Genial' logo obscuring the Oculus brand name on the front

Games reported so far:
    - Alien Attack Standing up, you shot aliens with a plastic riffle
    - Delta Plane You lie down on a padded table and fly around over the Grand Canyon
    - Cockpit You site down on a chair and shot around in space
    - Toon City you get on a real bike on a stand and ride around a virtual city...

To play these you pay between $8-$10 (CAD)

- Immersion Coaster (Rider Hero)
    Tests of the system started on the Goliath at the La Ronde facility
    To ride with HMD you pay $5 (CAD)

Company developed a rollercaoster and 3D cinema experience, riding on the rollercoaster using an integrated HMD and PC - currently being tested, they have modified a Rift and PC:

971254_272287542917448_1949581077_n.jpg

(Note - Ride developer collecting ride data)

But the company is looking at building a unique combined PC / HMD in the future:

521458_214796745333195_609124367_n.jpg

Note - this is not a new idea - a German theme park developed a VR rollercoaster using a mounted rider display system (Galaxy Express, 2003)

- Final observations
    This is not the first time that Six Flags has invested in such concepts, the company developed an attraction based on Guitar Heroes and Rock Star, and was one of the first to play with VR and simulator attractions during the late-90's. The company hoping that notoriety and popularity will encourage interest to pay and experience ("...come see what all your friends are talking about!")

There is now concern that the operation may be infringing the Liability and usage agreement for the Oculus Rift kits breaching the "Headset for your own personal, non-commercial purposes" clause - as of yet no word of any action from OVR.

Any more info?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    a Six Flags' computer engineer, siting on the Goliath Roller Coaster collecting data....

29fx9ir.jpg

This guy really have a great job....

izp55u.jpg

Electronic sensors taped on one of the Goliath seat to register data of all the coordinates of the Ride.....

izsqye.jpg

The precious data....

2u6feax.jpg

This is really '' Génial ''........
    hmmm i mean '' Awesome '' :)

2hdwnwm.jpg
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • HappyHimitsuHappyHimitsu Posts: 990
    Art3mis
    Steve3D wrote:
    This attraction at Six Flags is an awesome publicity for the Rift....Palmer should not do anything against it, many will try the Rift and want one after... ;)
    This attraction at Six Flags is no publicity for the Rift if they have the Oculus Rift Logo covered up.
    Most people will have no idea what it is, so although it may bring attention to VR-HMD's in general, it won't be doing anything for the Rift specifically.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    (~I really gotta remember this shiz~)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • KBKKBK Posts: 983
    Art3mis
    The most potent place to be is in the backdrop. In that way, you influence and are connected to everything.

It is note on the level of market penetration and power that the Rift has, to already begin to own the backdrop.

Do not see it for anything less.

Eg, how many bits of critical infrastructure run on Microsoft software products?

The name being covered up means MORE, not less.
    Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
    Art3mis
    KBK wrote:
    The most potent place to be is in the backdrop. In that way, you influence and are connected to everything.

It is note on the level of market penetration and power that the Rift has, to already begin to own the backdrop.

Do not see it for anything less.

Eg, how many bits of critical infrastructure run on Microsoft software products?

The name being covered up means MORE, not less.

What are you going on about now lol? I said the attraction at Six Flags is no publicity for Oculus if they cover up the fact that it is an Oculus product (Publicity is the deliberate attempt to manage the public's perception of a subject.), and I stand by that statement.
    “If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”
    ― Yogi Bhajan
  • MrGeddingsMrGeddings Posts: 604
    I personally think Oculus should contact them and state they have to display the Logo of the rift or at least make people aware of what product it is. It seems to me they are trying to rip it off as one of their own designs and i think thats wrong. If i was you id send that in an email to support Oculus put a lot of hard work into their headset and if a company is using it for an attraction but doesnt even bother to share to people where its from. which the key of the Rift is making as most people aware about it as possible, i think that is wrong. Its wrong for them to cover up the logo and not even say anything about what it is by making money off it. as Cartman would say its. "Wrong its wrong!".
    edited August 2013
    la-ronde-map.jpg

@HappyHimitsu

You are wrong my friend.....more people in montreal have seen and search about Oculus Rift since the opening of the Park in spring than all events and show combined organized to show the Oculus Rift since 2 years. each and every one that tries the Six Flags Rift attraction is so excited that all....even those who only pass in front of it and didn't have time to try it.....they will all search the internet about '' VIRTUAL REALITY GOOGLE '' and guess what will be the results found at 99% on google search..... '' OCULUS RIFT '' and they all see that it is the same google that the one they tried.....all will want to buy a HD Rift next year. This attraction is a genius marketing strategy for Oculus Rift.

Anyway.....the attraction is so well organized with even the data collection project for '' 4 '' Roller Coasters, I am sure Oculus VR Corp. is since it beginning....partner with Six Flags for this attraction. It was probably an agreement between them to cover the Oculus Rift Logo because it's an Dev kit only.

Next year, we all gonna buy our own HD ( 1080p or more ) consumer Rift and we will all be able to bring our own Rift at Six Flags amusement Parks, pluged it on a smart phone and powered it by a portable small powerpack and we will then have many themes to choose from for each Roller Coaster, to live a totally different experience each time we get on a Ride.

izp55u.jpg
    29fx9ir.jpg
    rollercoaster_large.jpg

Always sit on the first seat with speactacular landscapes..... volcanic Mars....tropical Jurassic island.....space....underground world....etc....many themes for all Roller Coaster rides....can you imagine how cool it will be...Oculus Rift wave popularity will jump on the entertainment&video games market like a Tsunami....all around the world...it will be the must have technology for everyone....like a cell phone or a TV set...!

If someone go the Montreal Six Flags soon...on the next days.....it would be cool to have a video of the attraction, and see people using the Virtual Zones.....I didn't had the chance to try all 4 games at the attraction but you can bet that I will ... ;)
    Art3mis
    edited August 2013
    @Steve3D

You are missing my point, friend.
    I never said that the display at Six Flags will not bring public awareness to the Oculus Rift, I said that displaying it at Six Flags without the Oculus Logo is not publicity by definition.
    Publicity is generally defined in such as way as to suggest that to fit the definition, one must be public about it.
    Keeping the Oculus Logo out of view and hidden is not publicity, though it may indirectly result in public awareness of the Oculus Rift increasing. In the same way that my selling hotdogs at a fundraiser may increase public awareness of Top Dogs Ball Park Franks because that is most likely what people will see when searching Google for 'hot dogs'.
    The fact that it is an Oculus Rift Logo underneath those straps is inconsequential (for the time being). They could say 'Virtuali pica' and the results would be the same.
    ― Yogi Bhajan
    Like I said, I am sure Palmer Luckey is aware of this and is partner with Six Flags. It's only a Dev kit so it's probably Oculus owners themselves that asked Six Flags to cover the logo until the real consumer Rift next year, which will without a doubt be covered with Oculus Rift logo...and same for all signs around the attraction...!

It's like a public testing project and a first public marketing strategy at the same time...!
    Art3mis
    edited August 2013
    Steve3D wrote:
    Like I said, I am sure Palmer Luckey is aware of this and is partner with Six Flags. It's only a Dev kit so it's probably Oculus owners that asked Six Flags to cover the logo until the real consumer Rift next year which will without a doubt covered with Oculus Rift logo...
    You are still missing the point lol. I wasn't making any point other than discussing the technical definition of 'publicity'. :D I apologize if anybody mistook my intent, I would imagine it made me sound like a jerk.

And I believe you are right, I too think that Palmer and the Oculus team are probably in on the deal as well.

Edit: I apologize again. I re-read over my posts on this page and it appears I was just being a jerk. Sorry guys!! :)
    ― Yogi Bhajan
    no prob. my friend ;)

if it would had been in china than yes.....i would have been worried but Montreal is like the neighber town of Oculus office.....and Six Flags is a USA corporation so an attraction as big as this one is without a doubt authorized by Palmer Luckey...and Oculus VR head office !

Here are Facebook pages about Six Flags Oculus Rift attraction '' Immersion Zone ''

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zone-Immersion-%C3%A0-La-Ronde/518232778220422

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zone-Immersion-%C3%A0-La-Ronde/518232778220422?sk=page_map

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Immersion-Coaster-%C3%A0-La-Ronde/214482082031328

** Alien Attack Zone **

On the Facebook page you can even watch a video of Alien Attack Rift Game

525070_518239844886382_809052169_n.jpg

** The 4 Zones ** ( Montreal Six Flags has 12 Oculus Rift HMD's for the attraction )

ejsr37.jpg
  • Steve3D wrote:
    an attraction as big as this one is without a doubt authorized by Palmer Luckey...and Oculus VR head office !

Nope, they did not contact us or ask for permission. It is a bit of a bummer that people will judge VR tech based on an experience given in a developer kit, but nothing we can really do.
    Steve3D wrote:
    ..more people in montreal have seen and search about Oculus Rift since the opening of the Park in spring than all events and show combined organized to show the Oculus Rift since 2 years.

Not really. Our site is not showing any kind of increase in Montreal visitors, Google Trends is not showing an increase in searches either.
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    palmertech wrote:
    Steve3D wrote:
    an attraction as big as this one is without a doubt authorized by Palmer Luckey...and Oculus VR head office !

Nope, they did not contact us or ask for permission. It is a bit of a bummer that people will judge VR tech based on an experience given in a developer kit, but nothing we can really do.

Wouldn't it be worth contacting them about the "non for commercial use" terms?

On the other hand, what you're saying makes a lot of sense, but at least in this case the "debranding" of the Oculus name/logo on those parks would happen to be a "not as bad as it could be" thing for Oculus as the experience would not be directly related to the brand unless people recognize the shape.

It's a shame these kind of things happen, really. I wonder if they'll eventually run into a generalized motion sickness issue and cancel it after some time. Time will tell.