Runtime 1.3 offline installer. When can we expect it? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Runtime 1.3 offline installer. When can we expect it?

A311077A311077 Posts: 16
NerveGear
edited April 2016 in General
Hi! Guys from support!
You do not respond to my e-mail some days, maybe give the answer here! 
Really!
Somebody of support can answer accurately (i did not find the concrete answer on forum), should we expect the offline installer v1.3 for those who do not have a stable internet connection or not have it at all?
If so, how much can we expect (week, two weeks, month)?
Or can be calm, do not ask such stupid questions and quietly sell DK2 to the people who have normal Internet?

Regards.
Andrew.
Tagged:

Comments

• A311077A311077 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Well! Who can give me answer?
  • phuhquephuhque Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    if it is anything like asking when we get our preorders, it could take weeks for them to pull out an abacus and crunch the response time through the apple ][+ they have running in the corner.

Honestly, how much effort would it be to just put everything together in a single downloadable package?  I really don't feel like wasting more bandwidth just to get a warning that it failed at the end.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I don't know of any plans to make an offline installer. You do need an internet connection. Also, all the games are downloaded via the internet, and are typically several GB large. If your internet connection isn't fast enough to install the store, you won't be able to download any games either. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016
    I don't know of any plans to make an offline installer. You do need an internet connection. Also, all the games are downloaded via the internet, and are typically several GB large. If your internet connection isn't fast enough to install the store, you won't be able to download any games either. Sorry.
    Hi!
    Realy? 
    I thought that the first priority - is a fully working equipment. Or I'm wrong?
    I don't need all of they games to download! I have honestly bought and installed my favorite games (which cost a lot of money: ED+Horizons, Prepar3D+FlyInside) that I play. I've got a Oculus DK2 that I bought it to play these games! But now my DK2 is just a useless piece of plastic (for lot of money too)!!! Or I'm wrong? 
    Explain to me. Why not make a downloadable installation package with installation file (as usual) - but with the same functionality just now? What is the difficulty?
    Or why they can not make a recovery download, but not download each time all over again at the slightest mistake? Or I'm wrong? 
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016
    There is support answer !!!

Hello Andrew,

I apologize for any confusion the installation process may have cause.

At this time, there is no standalone version of the Oculus 1.3 Runtime. This may change in the future, but currently you must download and install the Oculus Home software to use the latest Oculus hardware and software.

The Oculus Home software communicates with our servers to retrieve the latest software available. This is a platform for Oculus services and will continue to be updated over time.

With that said, there is no method to provide you an alternative method to install the latest Oculus software.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thank you for your continued support and dedication to both VR and Oculus!

Oculus Support

• tozz3rtozz3r Posts: 60
    Hiro Protagonist
    Interesting response. Makes you wonder what happened to the Oculus company that started the kickstarter once...they were so cool. They even supported linux and mac back then.
  • vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    I hope they will provide the offline runtime download soon.
  • onyxleeonyxlee Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem here. I installed the driver for 5 times, every time the setup tool downloads the whole package again and again. I tried to backup the downloaded files and restore it to the downloading folder (which is different every time) and it won't work. So I have to sit there like an idiot and install it again and again. Every time it fails at the end and asked me to restart my computer.

I tried to free up hard drive space, restart computer, many things, it's still the same. Can we just get the standalone driver instead of the whole bundle? It simply won't work for me!!!
  • onyxleeonyxlee Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    The installer just gave the same error again, without even telling me what went wrong. My DK2 is now a piece of crap. Thank you Oculus!!!
    NerveGear
    Do you have an Oculus folder in C:\Users\...YOURUSERNAME...\AppData\Local\
  • mbbmbbmmmbbmbbmm Posts: 10
    In this thread you were a lot more positive towards the idea of an offline installer and the reasons one may need such a thing: https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/32548/were-is-the-1-3-runtime

You also said you wanted to bring it up with the team.

I have a internet connection that isn't perfect (big city, old houses), but I regularly download the newest Unity version and other big files without any problem. It's just some of these shiny wrappy downloads that don't work.

Just like the devs in the other thread said, for developers offline setup is really important.
  • I too would like to see an offline installer, as some of the software that I have built uses VR headset rendering, but is not connected to an external internet connection to initiate the driver/runtime installation.

I don't care about getting access to the store as the software that is being run is not intended for the Oculus Marketplace. In order to get the runtime installed on the machines they would need to be connected to the internet, which is no go for systems that have already undergone the STIG process.
  • b00zb00z Posts: 5
    I too would like to see an offline installer
    It's obvious. Amen!
  • enzeddaenzedda Posts: 143
    It's very, very obvious why there is no offline method.
    Oculus with the still sorry state of their precious software would need to be sending out  DVD's every other week !
    Pretty obvious isn't it??
    This latest CV1 thingy is still in development no matter what the "C" stands for.
  • agnosticagnostic Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have the same issue, I moved to a new house outside of the city and I don't have a good internet service yet, so I am having problems to download the 800MBs by using the Oculus Setup, I bought some games on steam and I usually download demos and games from my office. We need an offiline installer, remember that we are also developers and we need only the runtime and SDK.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    agnostic said:We need an offiline installer, remember that we are also developers and we need only the runtime and SDK.
    I disagree with that statement, as a developer I don't want to be running an entirely different setup than the people who will be running my games and apps. I definitely need to see how my game loads from within Oculus Home, and how pressing the Oculus button (Xbox button) acts with my game.
    Art3mis
    Dreamwriter said:
    I disagree with that statement, as a developer I don't want to be running an entirely different setup than the people who will be running my games and apps. I definitely need to see how my game loads from within Oculus Home, and how pressing the Oculus button (Xbox button) acts with my game.
    Not all developers or customers have any need or desire to use Oculus home.
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    vrmower said:
    Dreamwriter said:
    Not all developers or customers have any need or desire to use Oculus home.
    And those developers are ones that Oculus doesn't have any need to go out of their way to support.
    Art3mis
    And those developers are ones that Oculus doesn't have any need to go out of their way to support.
    Is this an opinion or is there publicly available information supporting this position?  Lucky has made public statements indicating rift is an OPEN platform.  If in fact there is a policy of no commitment or hostility toward those (Customers and Developers) who elect not to participate in Oculus store this would certainly be extremely useful information.
  • Expt626Expt626 Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any updates on this? bumping this, I need an offline installer as well.... 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sorry to bug, is there an official stand on this? Why did occulus suddenly decide to be so restrictive... :/
  • StajStaj Posts: 11
    This is causing problems for our development lab. We attended many events and it was said Oculus Home was to be optional. We shouldn't need an account and login for every installation just to be able to configure our devices.
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    The Offline Installer will be available by January 2028, along with the launch of the CV7.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Staj said:
    This is causing problems for our development lab. We attended many events and it was said Oculus Home was to be optional. We shouldn't need an account and login for every installation just to be able to configure our devices.
    Same here, I'm already having a hard time convincing skeptics to give vr a go. Restrictive polices such as these may really be the final nail in the coffin for all my efforts, been supporting since dk1 :/
  • gbeattygbeatty Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    We need an offline installer. We develop software that runs in environments that do not have internet connectivity. Right now there is no way to install the runtime on these machines
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    hi,

its been a week. Any updates?
    might want to combine threads: 
    https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/32548/were-is-the-1-3-runtime
    https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/32792/offline-install

anybody in the same predicament? pls voice out and hopefully, Oculus dev team will place it at a higher priority.
    thanks!
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    @gbeatty you could just connect the pc to the Internet.. Or if possible just migration of files.
  • gbeattygbeatty Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    @Syrellaris Connecting the pc to any kind of outside/unsecured network is not an option in the environments we work in.
  • phuhquephuhque Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    I have to agree with gbeatty.  it is complete horse dung that a piece of HARDWARE does not have an offline installer.  They had it for both dev kits and there are certain environments where R/D are just not allowed a network connection at all.  With a privacy statement that would make the kgb cringe it is a wonder there haven't been more  complaints.  I dragged my computer to a network connection and STILL can't get the damned first portion to run.  I never had these kinds of issues with DK1 or DK2.
  • ElectryicElectryic Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm pretty sure the way of offline installers are long gone.   These days they want you constantly connected to the internet thanks to piracy.   If people had offline installers they could get into it and allow copied unpaid game files to work.   I'm pretty sure the CV1 says constant online required and any offline development kits are stuck w/ the old runtimes.