New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

There is life at Oculus! Order page updated...

maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,792
Project 2501
edited April 2016 in General
Shipping charges have completely disappeared in the last refresh I did...It used to be 65$cad for shipping now shipping charges are gone...

So I guess they really do exist!!!!
I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I9 [email protected], 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner

Comments

• KNP54KNP54 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    Omg you're right! Although it now says "This price does not include tax and shipping."
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • PostalGoatPostalGoat Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Confirmed
  • HargertHargert Posts: 37
    Yes now it just says that tax and shipping are not included. They were there earlier today.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,792
    Project 2501
    I can confirm (having refreshed that page a few time this afternoon) that the charges were there like an hour ago...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I9 [email protected], 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Hargert said:
    Yes now it just says that tax and shipping are not included. They were there earlier today.
    It was still on mine an hour ago but gone now.
  • NokiBENokiBE Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    Does this mean we wil see a price increase for some orders? Is that why rift shipping is so slow :(
    Art3mis
    NokiBE said:
    Does this mean we wil see a price increase for some orders? Is that why rift shipping is so slow :(
    I doubt it. It would cause even more of a meltdown if they decided to change prices for some and not others. I look at it a few ways: could be a pre-processing thing or if you really want to stretch it, a gift for those who waited (kind of doubt this one). Most likely an in-house pre-something.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,804 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016
    Ok really confused about this ? Was going to cancel , talked out of it by a developer then was going to order vive but couldn't afford pre payment :( stayed with oculus after really enjoying my DK2 but sold it to pay for cv1. Got nervous with all the negative posts. Changed mind again and again and.......well you get the picture. But why has the shipping charge gone ? Getting bloody paranoid now and sooooooooo confused !!!! Anyone ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Project 2501
    @cybereality is this confidential? or can you chime in?
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722
    3Jane
    I still have a shipping charge, but it's down to $2.06
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • AHSidAHSid Posts: 6
    NerveGear

Same here, the £30 shipping charge to the UK has fallen off.

Just hope they're not changing it from next day airmail, to second class surface mail!

Wtf?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• water_water_ Posts: 226
    Nexus 6

It could be why they are not able to ship in mass quantities is because UPS/FEDEX can't handle the load of so many next-day-air shipments at once. 

The problem then would be they would need to package them better than they are in the unboxing videos I have seen. Next-day-air can be packaged a little lighter because the box exchanges hands less and is not thrown around as much/not stacked in a semi-truck under 200 other boxes.  

• agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    Mine shows $2.40.  Looks like they just deducted $30 from the shipping total, because my shipping was previously $32.40.  Maybe they're switching distribution companies or location.
    3Jane
    oculus may be paying for our shipping? Would be a nice move on their part. Hell, that and an update would be incredible. Even a normal update telling us the situation would be fine by me. 
    Or Palmer is paying for shipping ?

Art3mis
    Mine was an even $30, zero now. I'm in Indiana
  • boggie1688boggie1688 Posts: 29
    edited April 2016
    water_ said:

It could be why they are not able to ship in mass quantities is because UPS/FEDEX can't handle the load of so many next-day-air shipments at once. 

The problem then would be they would need to package them better than they are in the unboxing videos I have seen. Next-day-air can be packaged a little lighter because the box exchanges hands less and is not thrown around as much/not stacked in a semi-truck under 200 other boxes.  

Your kidding right? UPS/Fedex can't handle so many next day air shipments? Two of the largest logistics companies in the world, who operate their own airplanes can't handle shipments from a tiny 500 person company. 

• water_water_ Posts: 226
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016

I meant from a single source. There are only so many planes taking off with packages in them from wherever they are shipping them from. If your talking quantity instead of speed, you could get a lot more rifts to local distribution centers faster if they were on trucks than you could trying to land planes on runways as another plane was taking off (which they aren't).

• agenttoff said:
    Mine shows $2.40.  Looks like they just deducted $30 from the shipping total, because my shipping was previously $32.40.  Maybe they're switching distribution companies or location.

1. They could be being nice, aka goodwill for the wait.
    2. Their contract stipulated some type of monetary penalty if the logistic partner failed to meet promised deadlines. (they passed the the savings to shipping)
    3. They've changed logistic partners, and there is a new billing algorithm. (AKA new shipping API being used to calculate shipping costs)

I'm still holding out hope that UK rifts will ship from the UK???

• RPGPr0GoRPGPr0Go Posts: 35
    I would not be surprised if this isn't mentioned in the next official address from Luckey Palmer on Twitter, along with the rest of his update. 
  • AHeckmanAHeckman Posts: 214
    Art3mis
    my stateside shipping cost disappeared too
    Project 2501
    Well it would be unfair for those who already received their pre-orders and paid for shipping...so I am sure it's just a new system kicking in or something...BTW did Kickstarter backers paid for shipping? or was it all free?
    3Jane
    maxpare79 said:
    Well it would be unfair for those who already received their pre-orders and paid for shipping...so I am sure it's just a new system kicking in or something...BTW did Kickstarter backers paid for shipping? or was it all free?
    I believe shipping was free, but you had to pay customs fees. 
  • MaligatorMaligator Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    maxpare79 said:
    I'll gladly let them put the $30 back on my order to trade places with you. "unfair" LOL
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity

agenttoff said:

2. Their contract stipulated some type of monetary penalty if the logistic partner failed to meet promised deadlines. (they passed the the savings to shipping)
    3. They've changed logistic partners, and there is a new billing algorithm. (AKA new shipping API being used to calculate shipping costs)

1. could be possible, seeing as how my entire shipping charge wasn't deducted, which would have been more likely to happen if they were switching logistic partners.  I really don't think this is the case, but I'd like to be surprised.
    2. I think it would have been a percentage, rather than a flat $30 per shipment.
    3. my first thought.. but the fact that $2.40 remains, makes this scenario iffy.
  • water_ said:

I meant from a single source. There are only so many planes taking off with packages in them from wherever they are shipping them from. If your talking quantity instead of speed, you could get a lot more rifts to local distribution centers faster if they were on trucks than you could trying to land planes on runways as another plane was taking off (which they aren't).

True. But shipping companies are much more sophisticated than you think.

A warehouse with product, can estimate (with high accuracy) trucks are need to pick up a set number of packages. The shipping company can also estimate how many packages can fit in a plane.

You know that LxWxH dimension they ask for in shipping calculators? It is really use for more than estimating price. Actually, I think lasers measure the packages as well while they are in transit on the shipping conveyors. 

And trust me, it does Fedex/UPS no good if they have packages waiting at the air hub, with no planes to move them. They know their capacity and can adjust accordingly. Too many planes, they put some away or reroute them to where they are need. Too little, and they pull some from another location or out of a hanger. Now a days all companies want to optimize their resources as close as they can to 100% efficiency. They spend millions of dollars on this, because it saves millions more.

Logistics/Supply Chain/Demand Planning....its all pretty f**king cool. 
  • KekoaKalaniKekoaKalani Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I work for fedex, so its definitely not a logistics issue from their end. 
  • agenttoff said:

agenttoff said:

1. could be possible, seeing as how my entire shipping charge wasn't deducted, which would have been more likely to happen if they were switching logistic partners.  I really don't think this is the case, but I'd like to be surprised.
    2. I think it would have been a percentage, rather than a flat $30 per shipment.
    3. my first thought.. but the fact that $2.40 remains, makes this scenario iffy.
    Ahh, but where are you located?

Some individuals have no shipping charge. Are these the international orders only?

Individuals with partial shipping costs, do they actually live closer to the origin of the package? 

All speculation. 

For awhile, I tried to optimizing shipping tables for a small company I worked for. Nothing sophisticated. But its a very complex problem, and can be very challenging. Also fun! Generally speaking, most companies make some money and lose some money on shipping. Their end goal is to break even on costs.