Email received regarding delay — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Email received regarding delay

FerretfingFerretfing Posts: 53
Hiro Protagonist

We know you're anxious to receive your Oculus Rift and apologize for not updating your order status sooner. We've been working through an unexpected component shortage, and unfortunately, that issue has impacted the original shipping estimates for some early customers.

We're working hard to get up-to-date ship windows, and you should expect to see your order status updated on oculus.com by Tuesday, April 12. Although many Rifts will be arriving on schedule and in line with original estimates, we'll be covering shipping and handling costs for all orders placed through today.

We're shipping rifts everyday. Don't hesitate to reach out to the Oculus support team if you have additional questions.

Comments

• PostalGoatPostalGoat Posts: 100
    Art3mis
    Got same email
  • FerretfingFerretfing Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't mind waiting 2 weeks to save £30 :)
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    At least they're communicating, but an issue like this would be well known even before March 28th, so why are they only E-mailing people about it now?

They were probably trying to figure out how to break the news without people immediately cancelling their orders. Since we're now getting free shipping I don't mind too much, I was an April estimate and assumed it would be early april for me, but if it's gonna be the end of April I won't be too disappointed. I'm getting my tax return in a few weeks so when they bill my account the blow won't be too hard :)
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
  • TrytipedTrytiped Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    Thats awesome to hear but I havent gotten any email what time did yours arrive?:/
    giphy.gif
    Hiro Protagonist

I would expect they would only offer the free shipping to people affected by the delay? Mine was expected in March so will be several weeks late - yours would arrive in April so "on time"- I guess you'll find out soon.

I think it's safe to say the release could & should have gone better :#

I don't waste my energy getting angry about it though - it is what it is

• SOTBMPSOTBMP Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016

I would expect they would only offer the free shipping to people affected by the delay?

As you post from your e-mail:
    we'll be covering shipping and handling costs for all orders placed through today.

• infamouzinfamouz Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    sweet 30 bucks saved, god knows what he's doing
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016

That will cost them a few quid then! :o

@ Trytiped - I received the email at 8:11am UK time

• RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    we'll be covering shipping and handling costs for all orders placed through today.
    So people that will receive it in July won't have to pay the shipment, but the loyal fans who pre-ordered immediately will have to?
    What BS is this?
  • Ordered at 6 minutes, no 1-3 week email or this email. What does that mean?
    Trinity
    Ordered at 6 minutes, no 1-3 week email or this email. What does that mean?
    It means june.
  • I did notice my pre order went from 630.00 to 599.99 I didn't prorder until march 27th so i wouldnt be expecting anything until mid to late july 
  • Ordered at 6 minutes, no 1-3 week email or this email. What does that mean?
    It means june.
    Let's hope you are joking. 
    Trinity
    Ordered at 6 minutes, no 1-3 week email or this email. What does that mean?
    It means june.
    Let's hope you are joking. 
    LOL, of course I'm joking, I'm the same as you, we will probably get it mid-end of April. (I hope)
  • MobileChickenMobileChicken Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    A 5min 49sec xxx25xxx UK order here, got 1 to 3 week email on 25th but no delay email today...a good sign maybe!?
  • sparkie14sparkie14 Posts: 381
    Art3mis
    So people that will receive it in July won't have to pay the shipment, but the loyal fans who pre-ordered immediately will have to?
    What BS is this
    Not true as im march order and I have had my shipping costs removed also..
  • sparkie14sparkie14 Posts: 381
    Art3mis
    Next news update will be that HTC employee found with 50000 oculus fresnel lenses in his swag bag. Ha Ha
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    I'd be happy to save $138 Usd. But I'm not going to believe anything until well after the us is done with their april fools day BS and I've received something from oculus rather than a mb.
  • SlimBoyFatSlimBoyFat Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Looks like Oculus have been working their backsides off to sort this out, hence the silence, but just haven't been able to. Not ideal but I'd prefer to wait for a working rift than take the chance on something not quite right.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
  • SOTBMPSOTBMP Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've got delay e-mail right now.
    26er with March delivery order done in 7 minutes from pre-oders starts.
    No e-mails (1-3 week etc.) before.
  • AndyW1384AndyW1384 Posts: 307
    Trinity
    Got the email at 9:23 British Summer Time (1:30 PST).

Curiously, my delivery estimate was June (yeah, I was at work when pre-orders opened, with no chance of taking a break), so I'm guessing this email is going out to all pre-order customers.

Possibly part of the delay was their having to alter their database to link a delivery estimate to an order record (Cybereality has confirmed elsewhere that they didn't have this before) and their software to re-calculate and update that estimate. Plus, of course, they couldn't give updated estimates until they'd worked out when they could get the short-supply components.

I really hope this wasn't a case of a chip order being bumped down the line at a fabrication plant because a bigger order came in from someone else. That was a problem an old employer of mine faced sometimes.
  • tombechtombech Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016
    ##27## order number here, order time from unix time stamp is +7m47s - I haven't heard anything at all from Oculus since I ordered - no confirmation email after placing the order, no 1-3 weeks and not this last email either. I wrote to support a few days after ordering to ask if everything is ok with my order since I didn't get the confirmation email, and (after many days) they answered that all is ok...

So; thus far, of 3 out of 3 emails that people are getting, none have reached me (which is an ordinary gmail address, and I did get the "oculus rift is shipping" email every registered user got on monday the 28th, even those that didn't preorder). Disappointing lack of communication I must say - perhaps my order is screwed up somehow after all...

EDIT: I'm a DK2 owner too, if that matters
    Trinity
    tombech said:
    So; thus far, of 3 out of 3 emails that people are getting, none have reached me (which is an ordinary gmail address, and I did get the "oculus rift is shipping" email every registered user got on monday the 28th, even those that didn't preorder).
    Check your spam folder on Gmail.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    I am a 6min01 order, did get the 1-3 weeks order didn't get that email
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • AHeckmanAHeckman Posts: 214
    Art3mis
    6min order, got the 1-3 week email, and no delay emial...  I did see the shipping cost drop though.
  • ZachSnyZachSny Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    maxpare79 said:
    I am a 6min01 order, did get the 1-3 weeks order didn't get that email
    Same here. Very strange. 
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,778
    Project 2501
    AHeckman said:
    6min order, got the 1-3 week email, and no delay emial...  I did see the shipping cost drop though.
    People who got the delay email state your order time, so far it seems to be the 7min+???
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • tombechtombech Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    tombech said:
    So; thus far, of 3 out of 3 emails that people are getting, none have reached me (which is an ordinary gmail address, and I did get the "oculus rift is shipping" email every registered user got on monday the 28th, even those that didn't preorder).
    Check your spam folder on Gmail.
    I've done that regularly since the order was placed, nothing there.
  • WihglahWihglah Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    No e-mail here. #31
  • sjandsjand Posts: 15
    I think I'm the straggler of the group here, but: +19 min ( :o ) , 26xxx order, got the 1-3 week email, no delay email, guest checkout and shipping cost has disappeared.

(Off-topic, but is it just me who has to request a new link every time I want to look at my order, or is it some security feature?)