New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

"Oculus cant connect to your graphics card" Oculus Home + DK2 Issue (Windows 10/Gaming-Laptop)

Anu8iusAnu8ius Posts: 5
NerveGear
edited April 2016 in Support
So, I have a Gaming-Laptop (MSI GE70), which has a Nvidia GeForce GT 750M Graphics Card along side an integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 card.
I got my DK2 over a year ago at the end of 2014, and it worked just fine with runtimes 0.4 and 0.6 (0.5 caused a BSOD) recently I wanted to try my Rift again, and after some struggle with Runtime 0.8, I finally found the download-page for Oculus Home (Runtime 1.3).
I installed it, went through the setup (skiping things like the Remote) and now it says "Oculus cant connect to your graphics card" in a red banner at the top. My Rift is turned off (orange led) and plugging it out and back in doesnt work.
I also update my graphics card drivers just today via the GeForce Experience, so its not that.
How can I get my Rift DK2 to work with Oculus Home (aka connect my graphics card)

Comments

• zeronightreaperzeronightreaper Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    laptops are not supported. so you can't
  • Anu8iusAnu8ius Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    But that means they turned the supprt for them off, because it worked perfectly before on Windows 8.1...
  • owlteagamesowlteagames Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Anu8ius said:
    But that means they turned the supprt for them off, because it worked perfectly before on Windows 8.1...
    On day one of the 1.3 release, I was able to get Home working... today, nothing. Every day that goes by, the usability of the DK2 is diminished. I kinda wonder when we won't be able to use it for anything. For example, I can't get 0.5 running anymore, even though I had it working in February. 

The point is, they *do* work on laptops, and on systems lower than specified. For example, I had a GEFORCE 460, I7, and 16GB of memory. Yes, I had to play Skyrim on the lowest settings, but IT WORKED.

When I swapped over to my Cyberpowerpc laptop- 970, i7 and 16gb- Skyrim ran on Ultra. All the way until March, when all of a sudden, 0.5 stopped working. 

I did find THIS, Originated from a post on March 31st on another thread on the forum:

FROM DesignN2theFuture

1. Copy OVRServer_x64 from "C:\program files (x86)\oculus\Support\oculus-runtime" to your desktop.

2. Open OVRServer_x64 using a Hex Editor like HxD.

3. Find "f3 0f b8 8e 98 19 00 00" and paste write "b9 01 00 00 00 90 90 90".

4. Save and close file. Overwrite existing OVRServer_x64 file located in "C:\program files (x86)\oculus\Support\oculus-runtime". Ensure service is stopped before attempting to overwrite.

5. Launch OVRServer_x64 and enjoy Oculus Home on DK2!

I have never hex edited anything before, but folks are saying it works. If this is the case, it would mean that the Devs are purposely blocking us. For what? To drive sales? To get us to Upgrade to CV1? That's so messed up. 

I don't know about you guys, but I saved up and went without so I could get a DK2. If these guys are just going to iPad 1 me, maybe I'll just wait ten years for VR to figure it's fledgling bureaucracy issues. I really wanted to design a 3D game, but I'll just go back to mobile. 

So, guys, if you're trying to force us DK2 users into getting new everythings, you should be ashamed.

Is it not enough that the DK2 has a lower resolution, one shared screen, and no built in headphones? Is it not enough that the DK2 prevents you from using glasses without having to cut into the padding, thereby ruing the collector value? 

I *would* say that it was those of us who purchased DK1 and DK2 versions that allowed you to get where you're at now, but hey, that's chump change compared to what you got from Facebook. When you look at the big picture, humans are tools and money is god.

All the sparkle is leaving VR. 

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    owlteagames said:
    The point is, they *do* work on laptops, and on systems lower than specified. For example, I had a GEFORCE 460, I7, and 16GB of memory. Yes, I had to play Skyrim on the lowest settings, but IT WORKED.

When I swapped over to my Cyberpowerpc laptop- 970, i7 and 16gb- Skyrim ran on Ultra. All the way until March, when all of a sudden, 0.5 stopped working. 

It has nothing to do with system power/performance. In recent updates, Oculus changed to a direct Rift mode where games and apps talk to directly to the Rift rather than to passing through Windows and letting Windows talk to the Rift as a monitor; this is a lot easier/plug and play for the users, less of a headache to developers, and is lower latency than going through Windows. But most laptops have an optimization to save battery life that makes it so that they cannot talk directly to the Rift. Only a very tiny number of laptops are able to do it.

However, when bringing up performance, even a 980m GPU is slower than Oculus' minimum requirement of a 970.