Dislclaimer - This post is playing devil's advocate a little and is slanted towards being deliberately cynical. I am just going to list several points which you can digest as you see fit.
- Oculus marketing strategy is extremely clever and manages to grab the fans/consumers in its vice like grip with regards to the release of the Touch.
- Oculus knows how much it costs to produce Touch but are not releasing a price to consumers. Strategic Marketing.
- Oculus wanted to come to market at a seemingly cheaper price point than the competition - they have succeeded.
- Oculus constantly talk about how important Touch is to the Rift experience even getting Mark Z. to talk it up. Reviews are all talking it up as well. Yet...it's not available and there's no price/release date available. Hyped up.
- A lot of people are buying the Rift and pre-ordering the Touch without knowing the price of Touch. It's an optional extra and if too expensive can be refused, but it's being heralded as a must have for the ultimate Rift experience.
- Oculus has mishandled the launch of the Rift and compensate early adopters with FREE shipping.
- People can speculate that Touch will be ~ $200 but it could be more to counter the loss Oculus made on offering Free Rift shipping.
- As an example Touch might have originally had a ballpark figure of $150 - $200 but now might be $225- $250 instead.
- Because you have already paid for the rift, and are being told the Touch is the complete experience you're likely to pay whatever price for the Touch when it releases to have that complete experience.
- If the price of Touch seems too high, because you already have the Rift, you're likely to stick with it and pony up the cost of Touch regardless.
- Oculus could just offer the Touch for $100 and negate everything posted above.
- If Touch is being offered at a low enticing price then why not mention it already?
- The Rift price reveal was shady and the same could happen with the Touch except this time they already have your money from the Rift so you're kind of at their mercy.
- Clever marketing strategy.
System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.