New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Can Now Charge Whatever They Like For TOUCH

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
Dislclaimer - This post is playing devil's advocate a little and is slanted towards being deliberately cynical. I am just going to list several points which you can digest as you see fit.

• Oculus marketing strategy is extremely clever and manages to grab the fans/consumers in its vice like grip with regards to the release of the Touch.
  • Oculus knows how much it costs to produce Touch but are not releasing a price to consumers. Strategic Marketing.
  • Oculus wanted to come to market at a seemingly cheaper price point than the competition - they have succeeded.
  • Oculus constantly talk about how important Touch is to the Rift experience even getting Mark Z. to talk it up. Reviews are all talking it up as well. Yet...it's not available and there's no price/release date available. Hyped up.
  • A lot of people are buying the Rift and pre-ordering the Touch without knowing the price of Touch. It's an optional extra and if too expensive can be refused, but it's being heralded as a must have for the ultimate Rift experience.
  • Oculus has mishandled the launch of the Rift and compensate early adopters with FREE shipping.
  • People can speculate that Touch will be  ~ $200 but it could be more to counter the loss Oculus made on offering Free Rift shipping.
  • As an example Touch might have originally had a ballpark figure of $150 - $200 but now might be  $225- $250 instead.
  • Because you have already paid for the rift, and are being told the Touch is the complete experience you're likely to pay whatever price for the Touch when it releases to have that complete experience.
  • If the price of Touch seems too high, because you already have the Rift, you're likely to stick with it and pony up the cost of Touch regardless.
  • Oculus could just offer the Touch for $100 and negate everything posted above. 

• If Touch is being offered at a low enticing price then why not mention it already?

• The Rift price reveal was shady and the same could happen with the Touch except this time they already have your money from the Rift so you're kind of at their mercy.
  • Clever marketing strategy.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
Tagged:

Comments

• VibealiteUKVibealiteUK Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I'm more tempted to believe what Oculus have said themselves on the issue which is that lots of the VR content developed over the last few years, that's ready for launch, uses a standard controller as that's all they had to work with until these touch controllers were developed. I also think developers need lots more time to work out what works and doesn't work using these new control schemes. Rushing out the hardware and software for launch would have risked people's first experiences being lots of fragmented tech demo's leaving them to judge the recent VR push as too early for prime time. It's like Speach recognition. A 90% success rate sounds great but the user remembers the 10% failures and can judge a technology as experimental.

I know it's easy to be cynical of Oculus now it's owned by Facebook, but Occams Razer still applies....
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 686
    Neo
    Anyone can charge whatever they want for anything, the customer and market will dictate if that works for them or not.

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • moggie007moggie007 Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Welby said:
    It's so funny that people are already speaking about the lack of Room scale on Oculus..

They REALLY want to believe that the Vive is so magically better than the Oculus Rift somehow.

Well let me explain this,i have both (CV1) and Vive PRE since i'm developing for both.

They are two awesome headsets and they are kinda similar.
    Few things are better on the Vive,few things are better on the CV1,but forget to switch to the Vive and find who knows what kind of improvements.

First of all,without any need to mount the sensor on the wall or wherever,you can do a small - well tracked room scale experience with JUST one camera,something you CAN'T do with the Vive with just one lighthouse (even if you have two by default).

Oculus Rift has leds all over the headset in 360°,the Vive hasn't leds on the back,which means that the only headset that can be tracked without never lose the track at 360° with just one sensor is ONLY the Oculus Rift.

Infact i have made some tests and if you well position your sensor.. and you're at least 1m or more away from the camera,the camera FOV is really amazing and you can kneel,crounch and even go on the ground without never lose the tracking. If you want lose it you need to go almost on the side of the camera which is unlikely since it's gonna be on your desk.

So yeah i have played a small Room scale about 1.5m x 1.5m or probably more(just because i haven't more space,cause i think i could have go more far away than that). That's with just ONE camera.. I also want to noticed that short VR movies like "LOST" from the Oculus story studio already SUGGEST you to see it standing. So they well known the capabilities of the sensor and they are confident that if they want you to stant up it's because you'll then be able to kneel,seat down or just move on the sides (EVEN in 360°).

So now let's imagine what could be with 2 sensors.. really. I don't wanna say it but the ligthouses have a FOV as well. It's not that just because they shoot lasers then they are some "magical" stuff. They just have a FOV as the sensor.

So again,Rift CAN do room scale,can do a small one at 360° already with just one camera and will be able to do a much larger room scale with 2 camera,so let's stop worrying about that.

That said,the Vive has a slitghly bigger FOV than CV1,but the CV1 is sensibly ligther and much more balanced. The integrated headphones are high quality,not the best quality out there but already really good.. and having external headphones is just additional weight,cables (if they're not wireless),and if you look up or down there is the risk that they fall down.

The SDE seems slitghly better on the CV1,the lens flares seems slitghly better on the Vive.

The oculus touch feels sensibly better than the vive's controllers.

This is what i think about Vive VS Rift.But believe me that whatever headsets you're gonna prefer.. it's hard that you're gonna LOVE one so much more than the other because they're close each other. Even more when the touch will be out.
    the thing is the touch is better than the vives version also oculus has now paid for all shipping and packaging costs for people who have ordered there rift. how much more can they do to get vr going (me thinks you want it for free) oculus is losing money on all rifts as of today go figure. they will price the controllers as needed with a look at the future and the customers. they dont want VR to fail so will do there best to help it get there.
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    I do not think they are using this as a tactic to charge more for Touch. If they bring Touch out a reasonable price they will be a more affordable solution and get the most sales, and since software is their main income source getting as many controllers out there as possible should be ideal. I believe they will launch touch pretty much as cheaply as they reasonably can. They know that tracked hands is important so i am sure they'll want to get them out there, and pricing them more expensive than necesarry wont be in their own best interest. Of course we don't know what they cost to manufacture so we can't guess their price but the same can be said about many other things, including Vive.
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I'm I having De Ja Vu or did I read a very similar post to this about the Rift a few months ago?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,779 Valuable Player
    Interesting faith being put in to Oculus which is understanding and in a way commendable - I do hope you guys are right that Touch is priced accordingly and not inflated to cover losses. As for De Ja Vu, it's not the same scenario because people didn't have the Rift back then and so weren't committed/invested. But once you have the CV1 in your hands then  if you want Touch then you pay. It's not really fair to say well if it's too much don't buy "simples" that's pretty ignorant even if it's a baseline of truth.  Maybe I am basing things on my own personal preferences where I'd probably bite the bullet and pay whatever was being charged for the Touch much in the way that I am paying for the CV1 even if I don't like the price point.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    My take on Touch...

It looks amazing. It's the main reason I haven't gone with Vive. Potentially, I think it'll be a much better control system.

Rift is selling like hot cakes. Once the launch delay is cleared up, there will soon be a couple of hundred thousand of these out there at minimum. But no hand controllers for the forseeable future. Touch probably won't be available until the end of the year. Other manufacturers will jump in. Who's to say that Vive aren't working on a way of adapting their controllers to work on the Rift? I'd guess that before the summer, at least one competing controller will have been announced. Which is competition. And competition keeps prices down. We were all a little surprised by how much Rift costs, but I bet if Vive wasn't right on their tail, Rift would have been even more expensive. Competition.

I'm sure Touch won't be cheap. Bit if it's too costly, it won't sell. Especially if there's a decent alternative available for less money.

These are early days for VR and the kit is expensive. By the time Touch is launched, the dust will have settled. The people buying VR sets won't be enthusiasts who are loyal to a particular brand. They'll be 'ordinary' gamers who simply want a good system at the best price.. If Rift plus Touch costs more than Vive, then even if Touch is the best control system, the majority of buyers will go for Vive as it's the best value.

• Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited April 2016
    Xbox control, HOTAS, Wheel & pedals. If it's to expensive I simply wont buy it. SUB £200 or they can keep it for me, and TBH it need to be around £100. Its' only a controller with infrared.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    Wintermute
    Xbox control, HOTAS, Wheel & pedals. If it's to expensive I simply wont buy it. SUB £200 or they can keep it for me.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the most I'd be prepared to pay as well.
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    Well, is a good rapresentation of what can happen.
    Personally, i think that in the end they are going to make us pay the same total price of the Vive, that mean the touch will easly cost 200$/€
    Obviously if it pop out costing less it will be a total win for oculus, since evryone who is "waiting" to see the full product before chosing rift or vive, will jump "in" the rift :P
    But just look on amazon... one playstation move is 30€, 2 of them 60€ + camera 60€... we have 120€ from a "many" years old tecnology.
    And i remember the move being 60€ each one on launch... soo i think we wont see the touch for less than 150€/$ at least u.u
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,782
    Project 2501
    notsram said:
    Xbox control, HOTAS, Wheel & pedals. If it's to expensive I simply wont buy it. SUB £200 or they can keep it for me.
    Word of advice, don't advertise that you are willing to pay 200$ for it, they will charge you 250...

So let's keep it at 125$ shall we :smile: 
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Wintermute
    maxpare79 said:
    notsram said:
    Word of advice, don't advertise that you are willing to pay 200$ for it, they will charge you 250...

Let's make it $100. Nice round number!
  • Kalec84Kalec84 Posts: 568
    Trinity
    notsram said:
    maxpare79 said:
    notsram said:

Let's make it $100. Nice round number!
    Yeah, 100 is a nice "BallPark"
  • infamouzinfamouz Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    100? you guys are nuts, how about more like 40-50
    Project 2501
    infamouz said:
    100? you guys are nuts, how about more like 40-50
    Alright 40 it is with free shipping, if not...no deal :smile: 
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Wintermute
    Free shipping and...

Plus a supply of ginger chews... just in case!
  • RiftFlyerRiftFlyer Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    They can hype it all they want I've no interest in it. I want haptic gloves for flight sims and nothing less will do. :smile:
  • shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    All good points OP, They still don't have total free reign because the VIVE will still be around.  They can charge whatever they want to people that already have the rift but they are still price limited for new customers choosing between the complete rift package and VIVE.  Even though Oculus pretty much know the exact price producing the touch.  It's not a good time to decide just yet as it'll also depend on sale figures between the rift and VIVE and just reviews in general.  There is going to be a lot of comparisons before touch comes out, while both have their strong points.  The VIVE reviews are influenced by the freshness of Room Scale VR which regardless of which HMD has the better tech, people/reviewers are going to mix up experience for better HMD technical specs.
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
    Project 2501
    edited April 2016
    Well at least they will probably have some Touch ready at launch.
    I hope they produce at least 50% of the total amount of Rift sold before launch.
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 686
    Neo
    maxpare79 said:
    Well at least they will probably have some Touch ready at launch.
    I hope they produce at least 50% of the total amount of Rift sold before launch.
    So we can have 1 controller each to start with?
    Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • infamouzinfamouz Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016

dangit i cant quote from the work computer, yes 40 with/without shipping sounds reasonable after the debacle that was oculus rifts delay, and i dont mind paying shipping on the touch if it includes chocolate chip cookies ;)

• in6secondsin6seconds Posts: 405
    Nexus 6
    if you say oculus's marketing strategy is clever then you are a big fool
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Touch is my ONE sticking point and THE reason why I cancelled my Rift order.
    Palmer Luckey tweeted recently that Touch has been ready to launch for a while now, but he's glad he's waiting to release it due to content.  Honestly, I think he's the only one who seems to be outright pleased about this decision. There is already a TON of content on Steam that's already planned to work with Rift + Touch, but Oculus chose to hold it back till sometime in the last half of 2016 at an undisclosed price (a price we probably wont know until orders go live, just like with the Rift launch).

Touch remains a great big question mark and buying half a VR set in the HOPES that things will work out eventually is just too much of a gamble for me personally. And yes, Oculus can and probably will compensate their losses with the Touch controllers. And you know what? We'll all buy it, whatever the price.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
    Project 2501
    Even the box for the Touch is ready lol, you could see it in the Zuckenberg unboxing video
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    VizionVR said:
    And yes, Oculus can and probably will compensate their losses with the Touch controllers. And you know what? We'll all buy it, whatever the price.
    I'm not too sure i would, if touch controllers are too expensive they'll lose my support. If they compensate their losses with touch then the free shipping isn't much of a compensation after all. I have faith they'll want to sell them for a good price.
    Project 2501
    edited April 2016
    Oculus might have a lot of compensating to do... The free shipping plus the Kickstarters Editions. Don't let it fool you, those Kickstarters edition were only given to avoid an uproar against the much higher price initially planed... If the Rift would have been in the 350 ballpark our Kickstarters friends would have had to pay for it...

Only thing that goes against my theory is why didn't they just give a 200~300$ discount on the KS editions, business wise it would have more sense
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    I wonder if Palmer will give Touch away to KS as easily.
    I think the KS giveaway was planned early on in order to get the super fan base involved for early reviews and unboxings. It's like giving free whiskey to alcoholics and asking for a review.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Yep, the free KS editions were equivalent to the Vive giveaway to YouTubers.  Vive just didn't have a Kickstarter crowd so they chose high online presence as their criteria.  Seemed to work better for Vive - in retrospect.

I think Touch will come in at $199.  If Oculus is struggling or wants massive PR, I can see $149.
    I also think we'll see Touch in Q3, although H2 gives them some slush if they need it.

I don't think they'll try to recoup losses from this shipping fiasco by increasing price on Touch.  They probably recouped most of the losses from the supplier of the delayed component.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • RorschachPhoenixRorschachPhoenix Posts: 1,594 Valuable Player
    Oculus can charge whatever they want? No way! You mean like every other company out there?
    I'll tell you something: Somebody has to buy it.
    We call this: supply and demand.

My bet: $200 (two controllers + 1 camera and 1 game as a pre-oder bonus)
    Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. :P