New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

SBS 3D in Oculus Video

RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
Art3mis
How can I watch SBS 3D movies on Oculus Video? You would think there where an option to turn on SBS 3D, but I can't find one.
Tagged:

Comments

• sanderbossanderbos Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    As should be completely obvious to absulute nobody, if you want to watch your own 3D movies, you should:
     - Put them in the Videos folder or a subfolder of that folder in your home directory.
     - Rename them to have them end in _LR (as in LeftRight). So e.g. MyMovie_LR.mp4.

Now the video will have a 3D badge in them in the cinema app under my Videos, and will render in 3D. It's not perfect though, it is 3D but still quite flat. There is an 'opportunity' here for 3rd party solutions.

(also, 'a' button for controls, 'y' button to change your seat-row)
  • RuudscornerRuudscorner Posts: 436
    Art3mis
    Thanks. You'd think Oculus was out of beta by now, but there are so many missing features it still looks like alpha.
  • macd81macd81 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I bought Virtual Desktop on the steam store.  It has options to turn on SBS, I use that with both youtube and also VLC for watching 3D SBS videos. VD was definitely worth the money.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    I don't know.  My friend had to take penicillin after he got VD.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • DS-0258038DS-0258038 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    sanderbos said:
    As should be completely obvious to absulute nobody, if you want to watch your own 3D movies, you should:
     - Put them in the Videos folder or a subfolder of that folder in your home directory.
     - Rename them to have them end in _LR (as in LeftRight). So e.g. MyMovie_LR.mp4.

Now the video will have a 3D badge in them in the cinema app under my Videos, and will render in 3D. It's not perfect though, it is 3D but still quite flat. There is an 'opportunity' here for 3rd party solutions.

(also, 'a' button for controls, 'y' button to change your seat-row)
    Thanks a lot, finally my search ends :) Worked like a charm
  • AdKiuCMAdKiuCM Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    macd81 said:
    I bought Virtual Desktop on the steam store.  It has options to turn on SBS, I use that with both youtube and also VLC for watching 3D SBS videos. VD was definitely worth the money.
    Just a tip. You can copy paste Steam key to Oculus home and have them in both without paying twice.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,113
    Wintermute
    And don't forget the free alternative BigScreen which can also do 3D SBS and TB. I have both, I prefer Virtual Desktop for browse and same everyday usage than before VR, but the social part of BigScreen and the different room are really fun.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• HoIIywoodHoIIywood Posts: 325
    Trinity
    YoLolo69 said:
    And don't forget the free alternative BigScreen which can also do 3D SBS and TB. I have both, I prefer Virtual Desktop for browse and same everyday usage than before VR, but the social part of BigScreen and the different room are really fun.
    I don't see how you can manage to do normal tasks on desk top in the headset. The resolution is simply not there - text is awful.
  • Oops01Oops01 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    AdKiuCM said:
    macd81 said:
    Just a tip. You can copy paste Steam key to Oculus home and have them in both without paying twice.
    Can you explain how you did this please as I've tried and I'm one letter/number to long for the redeem code box?
    Art3mis
    AdKiuCM said:
    macd81 said:
    Can you explain how you did this please as I've tried and I'm one letter/number to long for the redeem code box?
    Well, when you start it in steam the box shows up and there is a button - copy to clipboard. No need for retyping. Then you just start oculus home and paste it into redeem code button in settings (under general tab I believe). TADA!
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    First generic example I found on Google (for Il-2 and in russian, but irrelevant, shows you where the button is (arrow 2))