New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Reviews Thread

Comments

• DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016
    @Deadace are you asking about the email with the first sentence: "We're about to finalize your order. Let's make sure it doesn't get delayed!"?

If so, I got that email on Friday, 15th. I also payed via paypal and was charged instantly on Feb 29th, so they didn't have to charge me. I got a status change to "Pending Fulfillment" Sunday night, then they shipped yesterday, Tuesday, will receive Thursday. 

I was 0:17min pre-order. and am in California. 
    Thx, yeah that's the mail! I got that friday 15th aswell, and I'm just waiting for them to grab the money from my creditcard and ship it! I've cleared everything with the bank so hopefully it should happen soon! I'm one of the lucky april 2nd orders when the creditcard cancellation shit happened, and I took a gamble on Vive! It paid off! :)
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    @Deadace Wow you got lucky, congrats on that!
  • DilipDilip Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    It would probably play a lot like Audioshield, which puts little feet outlines on the floor where you should stand to play the game.
    If they wont do it we might end up in wrong place from where the action can not be witnessed properly so that you cant take right counter move thus difficult to enjoy gaming. VR game need anchor point else action can not be choreographed

• ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute

@Dilip, not necessarily.  Games like Holopoint have you looking around the room in all directions for your next target.  Half of the skill is being able to spot the next target in a timely manner and set yourself up to shoot it.

Another way to handle choreography would be to only start certain actions when the HMD is pointed in that direction.  Like an in-game character would wait to talk to you until you were looking them in the face.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    edited April 2016
    VizionVR  Tracked ankle bands would be cool, Take us to another form of interaction..kicking stuff...seeing our legs move 1-1 tracked to enhance immersion oh yeah baby
    I`m hoping what
    tranceology3 says comes true "I am sure once the Vive get's a little more established, we will see them add additional tracking devices."

• VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Early on, Alan Yates mentioned "tracking pucks" will be made available. I have absolutely no doubt that these are being developed this very moment. Not only for our bodies, but imagine having a tracked collar for your pet. It would be something like this.

Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • SlimBoyFatSlimBoyFat Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    So this is the 4th day since I noticed the pending charge on my CC and I've had no further information. How long after the pending charge appeared did you guys receive your Vive? I'm seeing all sorts of conflicting stuff over on R/Vive, some people saying that there package turned up quickly with no shipping details or order status changes, some seem stuck in pending charge limbo. What's your experience?
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
    3Jane
    @VisionVR I love that video when they tracked the dog! Now that is some next gen stuff!
  • Ryder35Ryder35 Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    So this is the 4th day since I noticed the pending charge on my CC and I've had no further information. How long after the pending charge appeared did you guys receive your Vive? I'm seeing all sorts of conflicting stuff over on R/Vive, some people saying that there package turned up quickly with no shipping details or order status changes, some seem stuck in pending charge limbo. What's your experience?
    Judging by what happened at the beginning of April all of a wave get that message at the start of the wave. Some had to wait 2 weeks for shipping. I am in the same position, got the we are about to charge email on 15th but nothing since
    Wintermute
    My pending charge appeared March 28 then disappeared from my bank account 5 days later. No money was withdrawn till Thursday last week. That same day I received my tracking number.
  • SlimBoyFatSlimBoyFat Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Thanks guys. I'll let the excitement subside then!
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
  • MahtavavarvasMahtavavarvas Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4fn55s/terrible_rma_support_they_sent_me_a_vive_pre/

Better check that you get actual consumer version of Vive instead of Pre. 

Its really sad to see how much negative attention both Oculus and HTC/Valve are getting recently. VR is something I've dreamed of for years and I am more and more exited about both HMDs every day, if I had the money I would buy both just to support the VR industry. However at the same time my trust in companies making these HMDs are slowly eroding even though I try to stay positive.

@VizionVR that dog video is really funny ^^
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    VizionVR nice vid :) , the problem is when you have the wand cleaning you`re boots and in VR  it`s mapped to some monster...let the nightmares begin!!!
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    I have a Vive and I'm nowhere as impressed as some people here. You have to remove ceiling lamps / chandeliers if you live in an apartment or forget about roomscale. My controllers came with outdated firmware that you have to update by running cmd lines through command prompt. Easy lol, just type stuff like this:

tools\lighthouse\bin\win32\lighthouse_watchman_update.exe 
    -d tools\lighthouse\firmware\vr_controller\watchman_dongle.bin
    I had problems with tracking in a certain spot. Tried different angles, different coverage etc only to realize it was something else that was interrupting the laser signal. I still don't know what it was but after moving computer and all the other stuff elsewhere problem got sorted. I just can't see this taking off with the amount of hassle, even if experience is good indeed.

Then there's content. Simple games where you fight with flying cubes (holopoint). Some alphas with a ton of bugs. There's also a bunch of indie games that people made ages ago and are now ported to "roomscale" and suddenly relevant (and for 10-20€).  So many crazy cashgrabs on Steam I'm seriously considering porting my old 2d game for HTC Vive and selling it for 20€ ;) It would look a bit like this:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/446620/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

There are other things I don't like and other nuisances but I'm not planning on writing a whole review. Just some quick food for thought.

• SickleFootSickleFoot Posts: 105
    So are you going to keep it or sell it on?
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Due to delays my Rift is still months away so I'm not planning on selling Vive right now :)

• SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    Many users reporting tracking trouble from the steam forums, you are not alone prz
    3Jane
    @przecinek Which Vive do you have, consumer? Reading this link https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamVR/HowTo_Update_Firmware

The first line says this:How to update firmware on the first generation Vive development kit. If you have a consumer Vive or a Vive Pre, update firmware by going to SteamVR > Devices > Update Firmware.

Alot of these updates talk about the dongles, that were part of the Vive DK1...but maybe I am wrong, are these updates for the consumer version too?
    Nexus 6
    They must have shipped it with the wrong firmware. One of the controllers wasn't pairing at all, after a bit of looking around (mostly /vive reddit as official help files were pretty useless with advices like "make sure you're controllers are charged" lol) I managed to pair it via USB. This is when I got the "outdated firmware" warning sign. I'm not sure why normal SteamVR firmware update didn't work but my controllers sure look CV not DK1 :) Rounded end and everything.

P.S There's a thread on Reddit about a guy who got Vive Pre in his package and HTC support keeps telling him it's the same as CV ;)

Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    I had the same problem and mentioned it in my review. Setup can be a bit of a snag and if you dont know about Reddit then good luck!

At this moment I'm uninstalling Steam VR Beta and installing Steam VR because the VR dashboard is crashing. Vive works perfectly when it works. The install software is still very Beta.
  • GoesTo11GoesTo11 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    I received my vive today.  It came with outdated firmware but I just clicked on the icon in Steam VR and selected update firmware and connected the usb cable.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    @GoesTo11 That was my experience as well.  The controllers worked out of the box for a few days, then I got the notification there was updated firmware and I needed to connect them to the PC.  Both updated quickly and I was back in action.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Wintermute
    Turns out I was running an old beta version of SteamVR. As soon as I deleted the Beta and installed the most recent stable version of SteamVR it all worked smoothly.
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    Vive roomscale is hella dope but the headset ergonomics are kinda bammer. Can't wait to try the "true" Oculus system with Touch and multi-camera tracking.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    przecinek said:
    I have a Vive and I'm nowhere as impressed as some people here. You have to remove ceiling lamps / chandeliers if you live in an apartment or forget about roomscale. My controllers came with outdated firmware that you have to update by running cmd lines through command prompt. Easy lol, just type stuff like this:

tools\lighthouse\bin\win32\lighthouse_watchman_update.exe 
    -d tools\lighthouse\firmware\vr_controller\watchman_dongle.bin
    I had problems with tracking in a certain spot. Tried different angles, different coverage etc only to realize it was something else that was interrupting the laser signal. I still don't know what it was but after moving computer and all the other stuff elsewhere problem got sorted. I just can't see this taking off with the amount of hassle, even if experience is good indeed.

Then there's content. Simple games where you fight with flying cubes (holopoint). Some alphas with a ton of bugs. There's also a bunch of indie games that people made ages ago and are now ported to "roomscale" and suddenly relevant (and for 10-20€).  So many crazy cashgrabs on Steam I'm seriously considering porting my old 2d game for HTC Vive and selling it for 20€ ;) It would look a bit like this:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/446620/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

There are other things I don't like and other nuisances but I'm not planning on writing a whole review. Just some quick food for thought.

Sounds like you have a Vive Pre with that Firmware method but I guess not.  I agree there is a lot of overpriced shovelware on Steam. But there are some gems too. What games have you purchased?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ThoemseThoemse Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    Just got mine 2 days ago. Setting it all up is a bit more involved than other devices but once you done that you have such a nice smooth experience. I was really surprised how well it all works considering HTC seemed to try putten everything into this as fast as they could. Yes it is heavier and yes it looks like crap (IMO) but once you shoot your first arrow in the longbow game (The Lab) you know that this is the next level of computer gaming.

I had a DK2 and played Elite Dangerous and racing sims for countless hours and i loved it. After experiencing this there is no going back though considering it can do seated as well.

One huge downside: With that thing on your face, wielding two wands you wiggle about: It makes you look like an idiot - no amout of sweettalking changes that! :wink: 
    That great passthrough camera allows you do stay in touch with the "outside world" at least. It is a great feature.
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    I like the Vive's HMD design. It reminds me of something you might see in Ghost in the Shell. :smile: Rift HMD looks generic to me, and the cloth wrap is proven to be a dirt magnet that's difficult to clean. The PSVR HMD is, in my opinion, the best looking gen 1 HMD of the three. Lets see how comfortable it is though, light leaks will be an issue, and weight distribution could be a problem.

Speaking of comfort, I wore the Vive for five hours straight last night. Thanks to a tutorial about proper adjustment, Vive sits balanced and comfortable on my head and face. Zero VR face, zero pain, and zero muscle fatigue in my neck.

I also rerouted the earbuds so they hang conveniently next to each ear at all times. I haven't used any other headphones other than the included buds. Their high quality was a pleasant surprise. I'm no audiophile but I'm capable enough to tell the difference with side-by-side comparisons. Vive's buds sound better than any other pair I own, some of which cost upwards of 40 bucks.. Before I received the Vive I shopped around for a pair of light, over the ear phones. I'm glad I waited. I saved 75 to 100 bucks!

The camera is a godsend for me. When my leg starts to complain I need to sit. With the camera enabled, I pull a chair into the center of the room and keep playing while seated without ever having to remove the HMD. There's no nose gap so ghetto navigation isn't an option. LOL.
  • GigantoadGigantoad Posts: 395
    Nexus 6
    So what were you playing for 5 hours?
  • MarconiMarconi Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    VizionVR said:
    I like the Vive's HMD design. It reminds me of something you might see in Ghost in the Shell. :smile: Rift HMD looks generic to me, and the cloth wrap is proven to be a dirt magnet that's difficult to clean. The PSVR HMD is, in my opinion, the best looking gen 1 HMD of the three. Lets see how comfortable it is though, light leaks will be an issue, and weight distribution could be a problem.

Speaking of comfort, I wore the Vive for five hours straight last night. Thanks to a tutorial about proper adjustment, Vive sits balanced and comfortable on my head and face. Zero VR face, zero pain, and zero muscle fatigue in my neck.

I also rerouted the earbuds so they hang conveniently next to each ear at all times. I haven't used any other headphones other than the included buds. Their high quality was a pleasant surprise. I'm no audiophile but I'm capable enough to tell the difference with side-by-side comparisons. Vive's buds sound better than any other pair I own, some of which cost upwards of 40 bucks.. Before I received the Vive I shopped around for a pair of light, over the ear phones. I'm glad I waited. I saved 75 to 100 bucks!

The camera is a godsend for me. When my leg starts to complain I need to sit. With the camera enabled, I pull a chair into the center of the room and keep playing while seated without ever having to remove the HMD. There's no nose gap so ghetto navigation isn't an option. LOL.
    What tutorial did you see about adjusting the headset? Also how have you setup your earbuds so they hang left and right? Photos?
    APPLE LOVE iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, iMac
    GTX 970, 16GB, Water-cooled MONSTER.
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    First off was 'The Blu'. It was absolutely incredible. We've all seen the whale encounter. As incredible as it is in VR, it was actually the least gratifying experience when compared to the other two. The coral reef and jellyfish experience...words can't describe how amazing it is, same can be said for the angler fish and bioluminescent creature experience. I was wrong when I said that hand tracking is optional. I mean, IT IS optional but being able to play with jellyfish and coral plant life and use a flashlight to explore...again, no words do it justice. I don't know how long it takes to complete the three experiences. Guessing, I'd say it was about 45 minutes total. The Blu is the PERFECT first time experience.

Then I jumped into Apollo 11. I've been following/supporting this title since it first appeared on Share. Even though I played earlier versions of the demo it didn't prepare me for the final product. It's a beautiful, highly accurate recreation. More of an interactive documentary than an experience. Watching this made me realize the importance of VR content in the classroom. The visuals are astoundingly beautiful. The editing is well done. There are two ways you can experience this one. Story mode, where you are simply along for the ride, and interactive mode, where you can help the story along by hands-on participation. I definitely need to get back in and experience the participation mode.

Then I jumped into Realities. Whoa. Roomscale photogrammetry at its absolute BEST! This is basically a virtual tour guide. You enter a perfectly rendered, photorealistic room and can freely walk around or teleport if you don't have the space or cannot physically walk. I chose to remain seated for this one. Placed about the explorable areas are little pamphets you can pick up. These pamphets offer additional information about the area you're in. It was interesting. It's probably not going to appeal to gamers, but we're quickly realizing that VR is much more than gaming. The technical aspect alone gets a high rating in my VR book. :)

Let's see...what was next...I don't think I did anything else before jumping back into Valve's 'The Lab' to finish out the unplayed demos and my evening. :)