New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Reviews Thread

Comments

• DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    edited April 2016
    przecinek said:
    They must have shipped it with the wrong firmware. One of the controllers wasn't pairing at all, after a bit of looking around (mostly /vive reddit as official help files were pretty useless with advices like "make sure you're controllers are charged" lol) I managed to pair it via USB. This is when I got the "outdated firmware" warning sign. I'm not sure why normal SteamVR firmware update didn't work but my controllers sure look CV not DK1 :) Rounded end and everything.

P.S There's a thread on Reddit about a guy who got Vive Pre in his package and HTC support keeps telling him it's the same as CV ;)

Yeah i noticed that thread on the vive reddit...apparently its all sorted now and he`s getting new parts shipped Monday/Tuesday.

Not sure if this is any help to some of you with the steam beta...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4fs6vx/reminder_steam_beta_branch_breaks_steamvr/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4frey3/anyone_else_having_trouble_with_the_latest/

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,072 Valuable Player
    Runs off to download Realities - Holy moly 12 GIG!!!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited April 2016

Just posted my full Vive review on my website and YouTube channel.

Cramgaming.com review. (text version)

Note: Mirrors do have a profound effect on the base-stations tracking ability. Supposedly the issue was fixed but I guess this depends on the a) the size of mirror and b) the play area size c) angle of the base-stations.

• SickleFootSickleFoot Posts: 105
    Thanks for the review.
    This looks an interesting game coming to the Vive "The SoulKeeper VR"

• SlimBoyFatSlimBoyFat Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    So I received my Vive yesterday! I hadn't planned on getting one as I had a DK2 and preordered CV1. However, when the CV1 delay rumours started, my delivery estimate ended up getting bumped to the end of June, and I also heard that because of the Vive CC debacle new orders were getting an April shipping estimate. So on April 2 I ordered a Vive and after only three weeks of waiting it's turned up. No idea how I managed to jump the queue but I'm very happy I did.

The most amazing thing? Room scale and the controllers. Honestly, I saw VR as a way for me to further enjoy my Sim racing hobby, I saw it as a way to get inside the cars I was racing in game. I hadn't really considered the standing or moving around experience. Add to that the controllers and it's suddenly a completely different beast. Interacting with the virtual world via them is just so intuitive and feels right.

Visuals are a step up from the DK2. It's not like going from SD to HD but it's lots of little improvements that add up to a significant improvement. FOV is fine, it can always be bigger in any HMD but perfectly acceptable. The increased resolution is nice and I really haven't noticed the SDE. It was a distraction in the DK2 but only see it in Vive if I go looking for it.

And that is just from a couple of hours in The Lab last night. I've still got so much to try and can only imagine what future experiences are going to be like.

I'm pretty sure I'll keep my CV1 preorder. I'm the sort of guy who hates to choose sides as I hate to miss out on any gaming tech I can get my hands on. I've owned just about every console since the snes so see no need to choose sides in VR, I've got PSVR preordered also for example.

And one more thing to add, I'm in my 40's, my earliest gaming memories are tape loading Elite on an Acorn computer and being amazed by the line drawn 3D visuals. We are incredibly lucky to be alive and gaming in such times with such unbelievably fantastic technology. Just enjoy it and don't worry too much what the other side are doing ;)
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
    Thanks for posting. It's always good to hear people are happy with the current tech rather than having high expectations dashed away.

• VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    The ifixit Vive teardown. For optimal enjoyment read in a seductive voice with slow sexy music.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+Vive+Teardown/62213

Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator
    ...your post or the teardown? ok i do it for both
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    edited April 2016
    SlimBoyFat  In my 40`s too mate, remember loading games with tapes,and the Grandstand tennis game that went blip blip as you twisted the dial to make the bat go up and down.heheh ...just look where we are now.....and on that note i just seen a post on reddit about the future.. HTC has announced a $100 million acceleration program for VR ...Nice!!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gj5v0/htc_major_announcements_full_article_translated/

Edited...couldn't remember the tennis game name....but have now......(was 35/40yrs ago though)

How long did it take to get the shipping info for the Vive after getting the "Your HTC Vive PreOrder Authorization" e-mail???
    Got that e-mail yesterday
  • Chewie71Chewie71 Posts: 142
    edited April 2016
    :)
  • @DrOculus - don't know about shipping but got that auth email yesterday and CC charged today.  :D

btw quite a few ppl got the email yesterday so looks like big batch going out.  I hope to have my Vive by early next week.  Can't wait!
    tranceology3 such an amazing post. Thank You for sharing. Love the comments at the end especially gran shooting up zombies in Brookhaven.  I wonder though, did you try much of The Gallery as I still think this is one of the best VR games on the Vive.

• tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    I am level 3 in the Gallery. That game is incredible. The slow pace, exploring, puzzles, I totally got lost in the game and really felt like I was there. The interaction is very cool too. I would definitely say it's one of the best games, but it is it's own style. My nephews didn't like it, cause they want fast action, they didn't want to solve puzzles and explore. 
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,375 Valuable Player

Spent a while with my CV1 and using my old Hydras in Steam VR and it was excellent.

The Lab is fantastic even with my tiny room but what really pleases me is how well they are integrating the Oculus within Steam. This gives me a lot of hope that regardless of head set, we can all benefit from sharing a forum as the experiences will be pretty much interchangeable.

I am sure Valve are not doing this alone so there must be a lot of cooperation from Oculus with Steam which is another positive.  At the moment it is not vice versa with the Vive and Oculus home but Steam are a more generic platform with a lot more experience on integrations and I guess its early days for Oculus Home Beta.

• notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    @tranceology3 thanks for this! Makes me wish I had the space to at least try roomscale!

It's reviews like this that make me so excited about getting Vive. Hoping mine will ship this week :)
  • ThoemseThoemse Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    DrOculus said:
    This looks an interesting game coming to the Vive "The SoulKeeper VR"

Nice. Looks a bit like Vanishing reals but with graphics. :smile: 
    That being said Vanishing Realms is pretty damn awesome.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited April 2016

Enjoy.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Art3mis
    DrOculus said:
    How long did it take to get the shipping info for the Vive after getting the "Your HTC Vive PreOrder Authorization" e-mail???
    A hold charge for the full amount appeared on my CC the day after the Pre-Order Authorisation email and the Vive was shipped 5 days later.
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
    rat8cheese thanks i`ll look keep a look out with my bank.

tranceology3 What an excellent review thanks for posting. When you say MAKE ROOM for room scale it made me think of a post i found on r/vive , i think it was called "what furniture have you thrown out" or something along those lines, makes me think room scale must be pretty good if people are throwing furniture out to make space hahaahaah        

Thoemse did you see that HTC have a VR acceleration programme for VR ? $100 million and a load of partners working on the acceleration of VR thing. So hopefully a lot of new stuff coming soon.
    I think they said VR is going to be the step up from DOS to windows and then some. Lots of people are giving VR a huge push

SlimBoyFat I just checked my bank online  and in the "pending" section it has the digital river, that`s just appeared today...oh man oh man oh man yesss
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    @tranceology3
    Great review! Have you checked out Altspace yet?
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    @VizionVR, I haven't tried Altspace, that is next on my list. There is just so much good stuff; so many apps, so little time!
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    DrOculus said:
    A hold charge for the full amount appeared on my CC the day after the Pre-Order Authorisation email and the Vive was shipped 5 days later.
    I think I've got a hold charge rather than being actually charged. The money was showing as gone from my account yesterday afternoon, but no sign of where it's actually gone to as of five minutes ago. Maybe I've just been robbed :p
    Art3mis
    notsram said:
    DrOculus said:
    I think I've got a hold charge rather than being actually charged. The money was showing as gone from my account yesterday afternoon, but no sign of where it's actually gone to as of five minutes ago. Maybe I've just been robbed :p
    My CC gave no details of who the money was requested by just the amount. So unless someone has robbed you for the exact amount I think you'll be ok!
    Wintermute
    notsram said:
    DrOculus said:
    My CC gave no details of who the money was requested by just the amount. So unless someone has robbed you for the exact amount I think you'll be ok!
    Hehe yeah, I'm 100% sure I'm ok. I just want them to hurry up and actually take my money so that they can ship the thing! I have 6 days holiday which I have to take in May or lose them, and I want to spend them in VR (or at least the first 10 minutes in VR and the other 5 days, 23 hours and 50 minutes too nauseated to get out of bed :p)
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    "I am sorry Oculus. But as of now, your Rift is completely inferior to the Vive because there is no tracked/roomscale features."

With The Rift, I walked 3/4 of the cabin in The Foo Show without having to teleport. The only reason I couldn't do the whole cabin is because I ran out of room.

I wish people would stop saying this.  Just point the camera towards the center of your play area and try something like Farlands or Technolust.  You can walk, and you can crouch, and you can sit on the floor as long as the camera can see you.  
    Check this out:

Nothing against the Vive, but I have everything against misinformation.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,738 Valuable Player
    So like I am thinking about switching over to the Vive. ~ feels like I been skip over on the Oculus side of things. Any word I might be able to get the Vive sooner in the next month or two? Price isn't really a problem.