New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Reviews Thread

Comments

• killdozerkilldozer Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zoomie said:
     I think they delayed it because they want 100% reliability.
    They delayed it because it wasn't working, see "panic pile" quote from Carmack
  • It's going to be interesting to see what oculus has to answer the growing call of people interested in q more I'm,resolve experience. I LOVE seated I'm a lazy bastard. 

But it if there's more 'game' to be had moving about and it actually WORKS and is fun. I'd want that. 
  • In a more Immersive experience'. Sorry no edit button!
  • DLC1DLC1 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    I got a vive demo last summer and it was completely amazing, I pre ordered rift and am very nervous I went with oculus with the countless negative let down reviews coming in from people who received their rifts..I really thought rift would be on par with vive, but I'm now questioning this with all the negative user reviews
  • MinituMinitu Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016
    DLC1 said:
    I got a vive demo last summer and it was completely amazing, I pre ordered rift and am very nervous I went with oculus with the countless negative let down reviews coming in from people who received their rifts..I really thought rift would be on par with vive, but I'm now questioning this with all the negative user reviews
    What negative Rift reviews ?

People that have it are delighted at the most part and theres only one real issue so far ... god rays, that Vive also has but in other way.

The reviews mostly focus on hand presence and room scale (mixing both concepts) as its more awesome to experience or demo. But when they compare the headsets alone, most praise the Rift ergonomics, crisper center, and ATW.

But this is a Vive thread, that is amazing by itself and at present the most complete VR experience.

Soon upgrading to Ryzen
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    Dangerous2women If you move you`re mouse pointer to the right of the Time/Date of the post a little cog appears from the black and gives you the "edit" option
  • osyresosyres Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    so i have my VIVE now for around 2 days and can now talk based on facts and things i don t got from other reviews.  At the end i will compare it to oculus cv1!

cons: The powercable of the basestations are way to short i don t understand why every publisher
    gives u small cable...  and the headsetcable is to heavy but its ok if u get use to it.
    The headset is purly rushed and maybe 20 % more comfortable than oculus dk 2 and very diffrent between ppl
    with small heads and big heads. I have a bigger head than my mate and have less problems.
    Resoluion: i think for a consumer product its way to low the resolution. For dk 2 guy its a lot better and u will love it. But for mainstream i think oculus and vive should have wait of pascal and give us higher res.
    The rest are small cons i will not explain.

pros:
    Roomscale is fucking amazing and a next step in vr and i will explain it more later.
    Tracking is really perfect
    The controller are the best of for me because they are consumer and future ready.
    Fov is higher than dk 2( don t have cv 1) and adds more immersion to me.
    The onboard soundcard is good if u have nice headphones. But maybe i would still prefer oculus.

Now lets start to compare to oculus. Like i said i have only dk 2 and a few facts from cv 1 like the most of u.

I bought both vive and oculus so im not a fanboy of anything.........

Roomscale: blow my mind just because of the present i did not expect anything like this even if there just demos out there the content will come sooner or later. And i know there are a lot of simulation fans like me how use vr for racing etc. but vr with gamepad compared to roomscale vr from vive i think roomscale is the future and not a Gamepad now this is more a joke for me even i have respect that there are ppl out there who just want chilled with gamepad no problem. But for me roomscale is on a other planet........

And this has a lot to do with the vive because the laser tracking is so on target i don t think that the cv1 camara ( 2 ) has any chance against this. But ok we don t know. But what we know is that the oculus has a cable of 4 meter to pc and vive of 5 meter to box plus cable from box to pc which gives u more space. And to be honest that is the min. if u want to track a Playarea of 3*3+. So i would say if u want to track the same size like vive u need a longer cable for sure.
    No what i like most are the controller there are amazing clever because u just can use it for all becaue its more like a tool so u can simulate everything with it form guns, laserpointer to phones knifes hammer it just makes sense for me.  So based of what we know about the touch controllers from oculus its obv that they want more to simulate hands so there smaller and have other position.  And i tell u guys this is the biggest misstake because u can not simulate hands( only with a vr glove )!!!!! So even if the controller fits better in ur hand and is lighter i don t think it is the better option for roomscale vr because overall there so many items there the controller from vive just make more sense. And what the hell is it with " thumbs up " i mean who need this sh** outside of facebook ? But ok if u like thinks like this than go for it :>

Fov: Now the fov is obv higher on vive based on facts. A lot of ppl said there saw no diffrents so what i did is playing live for speed with vive and dk 2 and the diffrent from fov is really high. I loved it for simracing.... So if the cv1 really has the same fov like dk 2 its not so good. So u have to think about do u go for fov or better image we all know cv 1 has better image ......   But to which price ?

Final:

I can say if u go for seated only and u don t care really much about fov even if i don t have cv1 i would say go 100 % for cv1.

Now if u want roomscale i would say vive only.... Vive is a consumer ready roomscale product even with few cons which is like a console .... just ready. I would not get cv1 with touch and think about roomscale if i can buy a vive because to much things i don t trust and the biggest are the controller vive are just to perfect.

And yes if u care about fov and just want to play standed/seated... i have now idea what u should do ......

• PassiveVRPassiveVR Posts: 153
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    well hello, don't worry not stopping. I've got my Vive, was a +10 minute pre-orderer on day of orders so had it since last Wednesday.

Hold on there bucko before you start the flames, just want to post my thoughts now I've got one (positive and negative).

First this review of rift (comparing to Vive), which I'm sure to many will not make for nice reading or will appear biased, but I can 100% agree with it after having Vive and actually using it. Seeing what makes it worthwhile (VR) in generation 1 and what isn't good enough for mainstream (rift and vive both have issues that will need improvement).

Yes the review below does keep emphasising rift is "second best VR experience" and that will annoy some as it sounds almost like trolling but if you use a Vive you'll know it's actually bang on the money.

http://www.gizmag.com/oculus-rift-review/42846/

Now my thoughts on Vive and how I compared it to DK2 and the Rift sitting with gamepad experience (as that's all you have available at this time).

Setup: Easy, aside from drilling if you are not into powertools. You can also mount the b-stations somewhere SOLID and tracking has been basically flawless. Occasional glitch on controllers due to external factors. I've played around 20 hours in Vive and perhaps 30 seconds of that time only (in total) was glitchy. In other words it's a non issue. Be sure to remove the plastic films from your base stations and make sure they can't vibrate or move around.

Comfort: Mixed feelings. Coming from DK2 I would have preffered a bit less weight, I'm sure rift is better there. However the weird thing is you zone out the weight after a while, and esp day on day when you use it more. What I do find is once it's on it's very easy to stay in for hours on end, maybe the occaisional yank on the rear of the strap to pull it up but both myself and my girlriend have spent hours in it. She was less fussy than me and never even complained, she had a blast in Job simulator, she's addicted. Sweet spot could be better I think it's a bit better than DK2 but due to fresnel lenses and occasional ring highlighting from stray light on high contrast scenes (think tiltbrush neon glow paint with black space) it can occasionally feel like looking through the bottom of a bottle. Note Rift has very similar and often worse version of this and with slightly less FOV so this is something we just have to accept for Gen 1. Once Vive is on and you forget about it, it's very comfy to wear for hours (basically you'll get tired of other things naturally like hours of moving around before you get tired of wearing the HMD, on DK2 I felt I needed to get out of it at least every hour). So while rift weight levels would be welcome (actually better than rift levels would be), the actual use comfort is no big deal. I also hear some find rift more comfy for the short term but after a while the hard straps can cause discomfort, particularly on  bigger heads.

Cable: So much pre-emptive fuss was made about the Vive's cable, and as suspected, it's almost a non issue. In fact of all the niggles I did have with vive the cable is one of the least. It's more on the lines of "will be nice when we don't have a cable" instead of "this cable ruins everything". It doesn't. Most of the time you don't even notice it, when you do it doesn't "bring you out of the experience" at all, you get used to it. In all those hours i've trod on it (socked foot) maybe 5 times? and it doesn't even matter, there's been no tripping, no tugging etc. The only time it was a slight issue is when I was pushing the envelope and getting on the floor on my back and crawling under things while facing up (this is pretty amazing thing that only Vive can do!), then you often have to hand tug the cable a bit to make sure it's lying well along side you (not bent under your head). I push my VR and even I've found it a non-issue. My GF also, even on first go playing Job Sim, tilt brush and others, didn't trip, stumble, or find it a problem in any way.

Controls: I was blown away watching my GF working in the job sim store (on the monitor) how natural she found everything. She never had to ask "can I open this" or "can I pick this up" or how, she just reached, and did it. The vive wans are completely intutive and beautifully tracked. Concerns mentioned above how their shape/size are entirely a non issue. In game your hands or whatever you hold often changes graphics, to smaller objects, hands, a gun etc and it feels completely natural. Even when it's just showing the standard vive wand graphics they are amazing, accurate, intuitive and extremely fun. The bow and arrow in the lab is extremely well done. I felt totally empowered an in control at all times. Aiming is fun and feels weighty and real. The lab is Jaw dropping in places, super polished super interactive esp when you get interactive trophies back at the hub to play around with like the flying spaceship from the shooter and the aforementioned bow and arrow.

While playing all these hours in Vive It's definitely reinforced my opinion that controls are almost everything in VR. Someone new to VR completely can and will be wowed just by the visual/HMD side, as many of us were with DK2. For me I found very little "wow" from just the visuals, though am finding more and more to appreciate in the actual software (rather than just the default VR amazement). However, most of the time any feeling of "my god this is awesome" or just the uncontrollable laughing were based on how I was interacting. This is new, this is a giant leap of DK2/Rift and is every bit as big and integral to VR as the HMD.

To re-emphasise, I can tell you, unbiased, that fears of the wands not feeling natural are not true at all. If you have 'hands' in game (like Job sim) they feel just like hands. The wands shape is easily abstracted away by the visual in game. You believe that what you hold or use is what you see in game. Not once did I feel like those hands didn't "match" the wand shape, gripping and opening etc feels perfectly natural. Those that overthink this haven't used them, it's all "on paper" stuff that matters not in reality, try them and you'll see! What I do love about the wands is when they change to look like a different tool, often beautifully detailed, and you hold it up to your face and examined it, it FEELS real, and has enough weight to convice. I'm honestly saying I'm not sure how touch will be able to convey that with it's constant 'rear of a gamepad' style grip and much lighter weight. Oh and the haptics in the vive wands are brilliant, even the touchpad has it's own haptics that you can feel clicking when you rotate your thumb on it for example. Guns feel great, swords feel amazing, torches are 100% natural (I'd love an X-files Mulder emulator with these in control ;) ). Seriously, until you've tried them do not compare them to a photo of touch and make assumptions based on a physical form. Using is believing. I'm sure touch will feel equally great in a number of situaitions but we do know it's lighter and has less haptic feedback.

Visuals: I did know before going into generation 1, from all I'd read, that things are still far from perfect, and they are. Most of this applies to Rift and Vive so note this isn't some competition, this is a statement on the current level of both HMDs in gen 1. First thing I noticed was an obvious increase in resolution to DK2. It's not mind blowing, but it's there. I could tell by looking at things like the chaperone grid immediately, as someone who worked with wireframe prototypes on DK2 sometimes I could often see the inability to resolve them a mid distance, the jaggies etc. Not that it stopped me having fun but it needed to be better. Vive is better there, as is SDE (I pay no attention to SDE on Vive where on DK2 it was pretty much rammed in your face). And in a typical game you just dont see it because you are too busy looking at the world. I don't think rift cramming in a bit of extra middle clarity is going to be night/day, both will need much higher res, and gap reduction to make any noticable difference. I hope gen2 sorts out the pixels as it can sometimes contribute to visual fatigue.

Have noted the black levels when in an empty scene or very dark near empty scene are not as good as DK2. This is to combat Black smear no doubt, same as on rift, having had detailed discussions on this with a guy who has Vive and Rift he claims both have this problem but Vive is usually better at blacks, especially if there is a constrating lighter object in scene. So the blacks then look black and the light looks light. On the rift he said it's a bit lighter black, sometimes with a red colouring and looks less natural. Clearly both HMDs are flawed here. I enjoyed the DK2 black levels and personally wish they had both left it alone and found another way to combat black smear, or just leave black smear. I think it's preferable to have it, than to lose OLED black levels with were often stunning on DK2.

Lens glare, it's a thing for gen 1 with fresnel lenses. Luckily in most games it's never an issue on vive, it's usually very subtle in a typical game, if at all, and is mostly confined to the outer third of the circular view, where it contributes to the blurring effect. Iv'e not found it a problem with god ray like glare on white text like the rift has, more of a "I have a diving helmet on and someone's shone a torch from the side". It seems to affect the lense more than things on the screen, again above guy says that rift seems to affect on screen more than lens? So on Vive you can see the circles of the lenses very subtley if the lighting condition is right (or rather, wrong) while on Rift it can often be seen more often and in more immersion breaking ways, even when the lighting isn't "pushing it" so to speak. Nonetheless both are flawed, in lenses and in black levels.

Sound: Was pleasently suprised by the supplied IEMs that come with the vive. They are small, discrete and I have no problem with in-ear phones. They give a decent sound for their size/type and are almost comparable to my full expensive AKG cans. Less bass, less warmth, but they do a fine job in VR. I never felt like they let me down, sounds came from where I thought they were and they are so out of the way that I think in some ways they are better than the built ins on the Rift. Especially for roomscale if you are lying down (don't laugh, after 5 hours you may just want to lie down in tilt brush with your hand propped over your ear to hold you up, you can feel your ear and do this fine, not so with over ears or real cans). I've looped the audio jack through the Vive shaped grommit rather than leave it at the rear, then thread the IEMs cable over each plastic side of the main faceplate of vive and they reach the ears perfectly, never tug out, never in the way. So much was made about the Rift's built ins but other than having to pause for 2 seconds to pop them in, they are probably just as easy. I mean you do have to flip out/in the rifts ones while you put it on anyway so its down to taste. I prefer in ear to rift style anyway. These cancel out the non VR world better, as good as good cans, I've never liked on ears for music let alone immersion.

(continued)

Art3mis
    edited April 2016

Experience: This is truly what saves gen 1 from being a let down, for me. With vive and the standard motion controls, and to some degree roomscale (walking) and moreso  roomscale (standing with a small area of known freedom with super accurate tracking from floor to ceiling), it's most definitely a generation ahead of Rift without touch. I have a feeling now knowing about the HMDs that I would be happy to skip generation 1, as I'm a bit of an idealist about VR, but the tracking and controls really change everything. All of my "wow" moments this time around came from interaction. A scene in the lab where you are in a fantasy room with props from DOTA (I think) is flat out stunning, compared to anything I've ever done on DK2. It has typical Valve polish, and cute touches (as does the entirely of the lab), but it's times like this that you forget all about the niggles, many of which are not even present in these real world scenarios (well lit, nicely textured so you don't see bad black levels, you get zero lens glare, you forget FOV).

The graphics are so well done here that not only does the Vive no longer look "Low res" it looks almost like a HD monitor game. Textures and objects close to the user have excellent resolution and colour. In the secret shop that I'm talking about, there are a pair of curtains over a castle type window that you can move out of the way with your hands (or head I guess) and that is the real hint of the future of VR. I walked towards the windows, with plenty of real playspace so no chaperone grid popping up, heard sounds outside, reached out instinctively with my hands and pushed the curtains aside, holding them up with my arms, proper cloth physics in play which is nothing new but it is new to be able to interact so naturally with it. And that was the moment I was sold on why Vive is the real deal for this generation. I know touch will do this too, too bad they didn't ship with it. Another moment where presence is enhanced by Vive (vs rift style) is that as you move around, actual walking, there is a cute character on the floor and he actually moved out of my way as I stepped towards him. It just felt completely natural.

Similar in the Foo Show in the firewatch tower, was stood near "Will" and he started to move, I was in his way and I instinctively backed up to allow him to pass, it's so natural you almost don't even appreciate it. If you ever get to experience this "roomscale", then have it taken away, believe me you'll cry,  you'll miss it. It, along with controls, are just helping VR be more life like, its then up to use what we do with it to blow our minds!

The only downside to this level of immersion is the old problem of no real ability to lean on VR tables or sit on VR chairs, because its often so believable the way you move, interact and become confident that you are in a real space due to roomscale and controls that you will find you often want to rest against something. This will be a killer problem to solve for all VR and I guess it will take decades before that will happen. Nevermind.

As for the software experience, wow I love Steam VR. It's so integrated with everything and so easy to stay in VR between experiences, even popping back to desktop (it has a built in virtual desktop ability) and it's seamless. When I put Vive on, thanks to controllers and SteamVR, I know I can stay in there for hours and that makes me want to put it on more than DK2 which often felt like a chore (especially being cut off from the outside world and the need to always come out to jump through hoops on your monitor/mouse to start the next game).

Seriously Steam VR is great. On goes the HMD, you pick up the controls, you press the Sys button and there is steam in front of you, the pointing with controllers is very accurate and easy, and everything you could want is in there, from settings for VR (Chaperone etc) to volume levels, to desktop, to buying games, to browsing the net. And because it's roomscale it's very easy to just move towards things (like desktop) if you need to read more clearly. I've rarely had a problem with resolution here. I just find it encourages me to stay in VR and to try things out without feeling like I'm locked away or cut off. VR feels often more freeing now than reality in fact. As I find coming back to mouse and monitor rather quaint for many of the tasks I now do in Steam VR with the controllers. Guy mentioned above confirmed he found Steam VR way better than Oculus home, slow, clunky, isolated and under-powered were his comments about Oculus home. Put it this way, if both HMDs were exactly the same, both had roomscale, both had controls, I would go with Vive just for Steam VR, it has some niggles but it's a very impressive way to navigate our virtual worlds and choices. My girlfriend also had zero trouble and she's never even seen steam in her life!

IMPORTANT: I oftend had sickness on DK2 even using it since release right up till recently, I had many happy times without any sickness but for a lot of moving around it was a problem. On Vive in all these hours from the second I put it on, and the extreme things I've done (compare to sitting in a chair for DK2) I'm amazed, not one single flicker of sim-sickness, same for my GF. Totally natural, no stomach churning. This is of course down to be able to move yourself more, and also the hands in VR thing helps to base you in VR better, you feel less floaty and ghost like. If you do try and move with the pad (like DK2 with stick) in any software that even allows that now, you will feel sick, probably, no matter which HMD you use. This is more about software than hardware but at this time only Vive really enables that kind of software, rift is stuck with the old-school style that is going to kill a lot of users stomachs, not good for VR.

Sum up: The way I see it, if you've never had any VR, especially DK2, you will probably be happy with rift, if you've been around VR a while you'll probably be more happy with Vive, especially in terms of interaction (both in game and in hub/steamVR). Comfort and weight will be an issue to some, same as rift with glasses users especially, SDE is annoying more than a problem now (on both), resolution is now at the bare minimum acceptable, sometimes it's painfully obvious they are still low res, especially in the distance where things turn to jaggies, but for a virtual six to 12 feet in front of you things look great. Some of the texturing and lighting in the Lab is world class VR, and adds a realist slant to certain objects, almost photo real (even for toy like objects). Black levels need to be better, back to real blacks for gen 2 please. Lenses need to be better, whether they can ever dump fresnel for weight/cost reasons I don't know but I think I'd take a bit more weight over the downsides. Sweet spot needs to be better for gen 2.

If you are on the fence about VR and are hoping for some kind of visual epiphany over past VR then wait. I don't think the resolution or FOV is there yet (on either) to really please the VR idealists. Without touch I still think Rift is a curious purchase, one I wouldn't be willing to make at this time, especially given the problems oculus are having delivering just the HMD!

If you want magical, new, jaw dropping, empowering VR experiences, and don't mind the fact these HMDs haven't taken a massive leap over DK2 (and in the case of lenses and black levels a step back) then Vive will be your new best friend. The controls feel great (not heavy and very accurate), I have no hankering for touch style controls and if anyone uses Vive I'm sure they'll forget all about that trivial "battle". The controls that are in your hands TODAY are worth two pairs of the controls that won't be in your hands until some random future date. Without controls, without great 360 standing and, for the software that uses it well like Job sim, fantastic contraptions and tilt brush, roomscale, I think gen 1 VR for most wouldn't be a life changer compared to DK2.

Those with DK2s, if you honestly think roomscale and controls are not high on your agenda, I would seriously suggest sticking with DK2 until generation 2. To allow improvement both in the HMDs (Vive and Rift) and the front end/software (Rift). This only applies if you have to watch where you spend money, everyone else? Chose one and jump in! Gen 1 is here finally... can't wait for Gen 2 :)

with that, I'm back off to Vive land. I have some very exciting ideas I want to try out with UE4 and roomscale + controls. Lets leave the negativity out of this, just because of me being the poster, it's my honest appraisal and I definitely think the rift has a lot going for it and the weight and in some cases comfort are a bonus for it.

Truce time VR brothers and sisters. See you in gen 2 (hopefully with less arguments as all systems will be on more level terms)

here's a shot of my Vive for any that may think I'm out a-trolling

http://s22.postimg.org/c8p8wkexd/passive_vr.jpg

Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Minitu said:

What negative Rift reviews ?

Forgetting about the visual flaws that have, apparently, gone beyond the visual flaws on Vive (both have flaws to be clear), it's mainly about the lacking experience on Rift, and the company's standpoint of the future of Rift gen 1. Even with touch.

See this review which nails It I think:

"Oculus Rift: Polished, often magical ... but ultimately second best"

http://www.gizmag.com/oculus-rift-review/42846/

Art3mis
    osyres said:

No what i like most are the controller there are amazing clever because u just can use it for all becaue its more like a tool so u can simulate everything with it form guns, laserpointer to phones knifes hammer it just makes sense for me.  So based of what we know about the touch controllers from oculus its obv that they want more to simulate hands so there smaller and have other position.  And i tell u guys this is the biggest misstake because u can not simulate hands( only with a vr glove )!!!!! So even if the controller fits better in ur hand and is lighter i don t think it is the better option for roomscale vr because overall there so many items there the controller from vive just make more sense. And what the hell is it with " thumbs up " i mean who need this sh** outside of facebook ? But ok if u like thinks like this than go for it :>

Fov: Now the fov is obv higher on vive based on facts. A lot of ppl said there saw no diffrents so what i did is playing live for speed with vive and dk 2 and the diffrent from fov is really high. I loved it for simracing.... So if the cv1 really has the same fov like dk 2 its not so good.
    This is exactly right! The way they can 'skin' the wand in VR is one of it's best assets. And something I think touch is going to struggle with being the design it is. I agree, for what touch is trying to do, eventually gloves will be better. The great thing about the Vive controllers is that they are palmed and not finger gripped, they feel very flexible and you can move them up down the hand for various uses, they are comfortable for hours on end without any specific finger curling needed. They hold in position naturally (when arms are dropped) with a light grip, you don't feel like you are specifically holding anything, they become an extension of your arms.

The pinpoint accuracy and 'pen like' feel in tilt brush for example where it's easy to sign your name is testament to their ability to be tracked so well and feel so natural to hold. I honestly think the whole "touch is better" thing is overblown, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, touch wins some cases, vive wins others.

From my experience now with all the various things those controllers become in the Vive, I believe they work better at being abstracted away, that they become the tool in the game effortlessly. From a brush in Tbrush, to a marker pen in the Lab hub (whiteboard), to the up/down control box dangling from the cable in the Lab's "slingshot", to the bow and arrows and even the various pairs of hands I've seen (many with easy to use gestures such as point)... well there's clearly no problem with vive wands, especially as they track so well and do so much with so little.

I agree the finger gestures in touch are a weird point to highlight, or even use,  you can do it with vive wands, it's one of those things that sounds like it'll matter more than it does when you come to use it. I think many people are banking on touch making the rift a superior all rounder but I seriously doubt that will be the case, other than HMD weight (not so much comfort just weight), the systems will be simliar but one, the Vive, is going to be designed from the ground up for roomscale and pinpoint tracking in all directions.

I've crawled around on the floor, on my back, shooting in Space Pirate Trainer with my sheild up in the other hand, never lost tracking once.

As for FOV, I also agree. Esp important for standing and roomscale is that sense of the floor that is more visable in Vive (rift + vive guy I mentioned above confirmed this). When seated it's not something you may notice so much, but even cockpits can be 'chopped off' more I guess, but it's kind of essential to walking around that you feel an anchor to the floor to give you confidence and that is why Valve went that way with larger vertical FOV. It's enough that you don't even think about looking down. In rift, guy (and other reviewers) have all said you feel more "letterboxed" like you need to keep looking down to be sure of where you walk.

Oh and something I missed from my longer posts above, when walking in Vive or in VR you definitely are convinced of things like heights and chasms, and really really do NOT want to step off! :) It takes a lot of telling yourself it's ok to step out from the Vive home space platform into the clouds and you won't fall. I usually take a tentive step, tapping my toe on the (real) floor just to make sure it's solid, sounds crazy I know but I guess that's a honed human survival instinct so I won't knock it! ;) And here is where that FOV helps and chaperone, because chaperone is great, and its great not for when it SHOWS up, but for when it doesn't!

Lots of reviews or users think of chaperone being at its best when the grid pops up to save you, but I've found you want to not trigger it much anyway, and the great thing is when it's NOT showing you are 100% super confident of your surroundings, other than walking off of VR ledges ;). This is the unsung side of Vive and Chaperone, that when it's not activated you know you are safe! It's a very comforting feeling in roomscale VR. It would be impossible without it.

ok. Vivetime!
    PassiveVR  You make me sick, you come in here telling us how much you are having a fantastic time in the Vive and I have to wait until May to get mine, well out of order you are hahahahha

Joking aside thanks for giving us you`re thoughts on experiences you are having with the Vive..I really can`t wait to get mine!!!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,072 Valuable Player
    PassiveVR said:

Oh and something I missed from my longer posts above, when walking in Vive or in VR you definitely are convinced of things like heights and chasms, and really really do NOT want to step off! :) It takes a lot of telling yourself it's ok to step out from the Vive home space platform into the clouds and you won't fall. I usually take a tentive step, tapping my toe on the (real) floor just to make sure it's solid, sounds crazy I know but I guess that's a honed human survival instinct so I won't knock it! ;) And here is where that FOV helps and chaperone, because chaperone is great, and its great not for when it SHOWS up, but for when it doesn't!

This. Agreed totally, in fact I couldn't do it. There's a cliff in one of The Lab Postcard environments (I think it's actually the first place you visit when you boot the game up for the first time) where my brain is fooled into thinking there is genuine danger stepping off the edge. In fact, I couldn't force my self to take the step even though it's not real. I felt so queasy tapping my foot to see it's solid ground. A proper illusion and one where your brain is hard wired not to endanger the body by stepping off cliffs. Incredible.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    I agree the finger gestures in touch are a weird point to highlight, or even use,

Not necessarily. Imagine reaching out with your index finger to flip a virtual switch and haptic feedback to help make you feel like you've flipped a real switch. I think that's closer to a VR glove paradigm.
  • SlimBoyFatSlimBoyFat Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Quick question for the guys with a Vive. Mine should be arriving in the coming days. I've got an area about 2m x 4m to 'play' in. However, my sim rig is in the same room but will not be in the 'play area'. Is this going to be a problem?
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,783
    Project 2501
    @SlimBoyFat I believe it needs to be inside it, if it isn't you will have to redo your setup when switching from seated to standing
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Art3mis
    maxpare79 said:
    @SlimBoyFat I believe it needs to be inside it, if it isn't you will have to redo your setup when switching from seated to standing
    Thanks. My sim rig will be viewable by the sensors but when I map out my play area I obviously wont include the sim rig in it because I dont want to bump into it whilst playing. Unless I just include it in there and remember where it is!
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    You might just need to recalibrate your tracking based on what you are doing.  The calibration program only takes a few minutes and I like to run it every time I start a room-scale session just to be sure my bounds are correct after any small movements of a lighthouse that could possibly happen during down time.  My setup happens to work perfectly because my corner desk is situated in one of the corners of my playable area, so I didn't have to recalibrate anything to sit down and play Elite after playing room-scale content.  To the sensors I was sitting in the playable area looking into the corner.  The chaperone bounds never came up which was a welcome surprise.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    You might just need to recalibrate your tracking based on what you are doing.  The calibration program only takes a few minutes and I like to run it every time I start a room-scale session just to be sure my bounds are correct after any small movements of a lighthouse that could possibly happen during down time.  My setup happens to work perfectly because my corner desk is situated in one of the corners of my playable area, so I didn't have to recalibrate anything to sit down and play Elite after playing room-scale content.  To the sensors I was sitting in the playable area looking into the corner.  The chaperone bounds never came up which was a welcome surprise.
    Thanks. Maybe a pic will help

So the rug area is my 'play area', the PC desk is in the corner and the sim rig sits in a bay window, so the screens are in the bay and my head sits about level with the edge of the PC desk. I was thinking of mounting one of the senors to the ceiling of the bay window and the other on the opposite corner of the play area. Do you see that causing issues?
    You can play seated outside of your play area without having to do the room calibration as long as your seated area can be detected by the sensors. You'll also have to turn the chaperone to developer mode or off. On the Wand press and hold the top button above the touch pad to bring up the menu which allows you to change the seated position. So in your case you'll sit in your cockpit first then change it.

Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    You can play seated outside of your play area without having to do the room calibration as long as your seated area can be detected by the sensors. You'll also have to turn the chaperone to developer mode or off. On the Wand press and hold the top button above the touch pad to bring up the menu which allows you to change the seated position. So in your case you'll sit in your cockpit first then change it.
    Just what I wanted to hear, thanks very much.

Edit: Just realised that I'm a dumb ass! The seat moves independently of the triple screens, so I can just slide the seat back into the 'play area' whenever I want to use the Vive with the seat. Problem solved.
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    DrOculus said:
    PassiveVR  You make me sick, you come in here telling us how much you are having a fantastic time in the Vive and I have to wait until May to get mine, well out of order you are hahahahha

Joking aside thanks for giving us you`re thoughts on experiences you are having with the Vive..I really can`t wait to get mine!!!

Have you used other VR? DK2? I think for sure, if you have, you'll definitely appreciate that massive difference proper controls *AND* roomscale brings.

Audioshield is a lot of fun if you love music and want to feel like you've had a workout

The Lab is brilliant, and funny, in places

Vanishing Realms is the closest yet I've seen to the ideal of VR we all imagined (especially when the archers turn up), though it's simple gfx and linearity mean it's hardly a deep experience, if you have decent space it really shows the potential of this type of VR. Word of warning, keep auto pause on as you may end up ignoring the chap grid during a heated battle and whack your controller on a wall ;) it's so engrossing during battle. I love catching archer's arrows with my wooden shield! Stepping to avoid them, doing all kinds of contortions, like arching your back out of the way, as an arrow flies past. And if you can, try lining up a bit of real world space to allow a good walk down the corridors, I even JOGGED back and forth at one bit between a right angle corridor and some steps, to really feel I was there, Like I was waiting for an attack or a friend to show up. getting on the floor to avoid swinging wall axes and fearing for your life is a real joy. It doesn't really get much more involving than this! All it needs now is the software to catch up, the PCs to get faster so we can pump super real GFX to really nail the 'other world' feeling, and obviously for the HMDs themselves to get better in all respects to the point you can't see the edges, don't feel the weight, never see the pixels etc.

I'm kinda hoping they don't hold back Gen 2 for too long, I know we've only just bought these expensive items, but Vive and its abilities has only made me yearn for more advancements to accompany its already brilliant controls and roomscale/tracking, so that we can really go full-on with VR, in a physical way. I don't know how they will solve for physical boundaries in the future but for now this is the closest we get to the VR dream. I'm happy switching to gen 2, 3,4 etc as soon as possible until we get to an effortless form of 100% immersive VR that the Vive has hinted at (the DK2 never did hint at that by comparison - as good as it was at the time it just felt held back by lack of controls; and even though I tried walking in Alien Isolation on DK2 it was only do-able in small, buggy, steps and god how I wish they would support Vive officially, as hinted at, with a free moving alien tracker/torch etc and proper walking/roomscale. I wouldn't want to play that again in a seat with a gamepad, it's a massive downgrade to do that now!).

Oh the torch in the blu "dark abyss" is amazing, you can shake that as fast as you like and it remains 1:1 and looks almost real. The more room you have to walk without chap grid, the more involving it gets with every step, every move of the hands, every crouch to examine etc.

edited April 2016
    I'll say this again here. I've PM'd a couple of Vive heads but a MUST HAVE game for any Vive owner is The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed. The graphics are of decent quality (much better than Vanishing Realms) and there's enough objects to pick up and play with that really shows off the strengths of room-scale/wands interactions. I'd probably go as far as saying it's the best Vive game at the moment for gamers. Not as good for demoing to non-gamers though because it's a bit more complex.

Art3mis
    It probably is the best experience/game/showcase for Vive right now (The Gallery), I wouldn't advise Realms as being better or more polished or as deep, but it does its simple job well, and for me it was specifically to test some things out. I'm waiting for a demo of The Gallery or a sale, it's pricey for a short game and having bought loads on steam already I've got to wait now for the old gaming funds to replenish. :)
    Art3mis
    Can confirm. My chaperoned play area is from the edge of my desk to the far wall (15 feet away). When I sit, rarely, for VR I'm still perfectly tracked by the base station above and to  my right. My desk is in that right hand corner. If you have them angled right there's no need to mess around. Turn chaperone grid to developer and you won't even see it as it'll be on the floor only just behind where you're sitting.
    PassiveVR said:
    DrOculus said:

Have you used other VR? DK2? I think for sure, if you have, you'll definitely appreciate that massive difference proper controls *AND* roomscale brings. .....

I hope you didn't take me the wrong way Passive, I was joking saying you made me sick with envy because i want my Vive now :)
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016

Glad you got it sorted @SlimBoyFat

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Wintermute

:D 'Wandom'

edited April 2016
    Q1. Did you have to update the firmware of the wands at all. I did.
    Q2. What was your favourite part of The Lab - the fantasy shop is mine.
    Q3. What games have you purchased or going to purchase?
    Q4. Have you tried putting chaperone in developer mode (kinda risky for a noob like yourself)  :)
    Q5.  Did you install the Vive App and if so have you paired to a mobile and taken a call (pretty awesome in VR)
    Q6. Were you able to force yourself to step over the cliff edge in the first part of The Lab intro