New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HTC Vive Reviews Thread

Comments

• VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    1 - Didn't have to, but I noticed they were out of date so I updated them. Took about 1 minute each from start to finish.

2 - I've only played 4 of the 9 (12) experiences.
    Postcard
    Robot Repair because it's just that cool.
    Fantasy Shop Though I need to explore this one a bit more.
    Core Calibration
    Of the 4, I enjoyed Core Calibration the most because 'splosions and comedy. Justin Roiland (Rick and Morty)
    voiced some of the cores but they were all pretty damned hilarious!

3 - I have 39 games and demos already installed and ready to play. All the major titles, many of the lesser titles, and every freebie I could find. At this rate I'll be bored of VR just in time for Gen 2!

4 - Dev mode or I don't play. :) I do this because I'll often take a break to sit and play to rest the leg. Sitting in the corner brings up Chaperone and that grid is annoying if I'm just sitting there. Technically I am a noob when it comes to Vive and Chaperone. My only experience before this was the demo. I did do some roomscale-type development with my DK2, but nothing like this!

5 - I haven't done this yet, but plan to (maybe tonight). I can hear just fine when someone wants my attention, but the ability to text without leaving VR is a pretty genius idea.

6 - Didn't step off the cliff, but when I demoed Vive a couple months ago I did step into the disappearing floor in Robot Repair. It took a real conscious effort to do that! Weird. It sprained my brain a little.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    not my post, however I am posting it here:

Palmer has openly said they want all headsets in their store but HTC doesn't want to incorporate the Oculus SDK into the Vive. Its HTC thats keeping you out the Rift store, not Oculus.
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    :wink:
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    obviously you do by quoting me and replying vision, otherwise you wouldnt.
    like I say its not my post
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    :wink: 
    Trinity
    you seem to be the one flaming I was just making a comment
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute

@Synthetic, Palmer can say that nonsense all he wants, but developers know this isn't how things work in the real world.  The Vive is a piece of hardware, Oculus Home is a piece of software.  The Vive released its SDK to everyone, so the Oculus Home software would need to be compiled with that SDK and any bugs worked out.

Software needs to support Hardware in every situation, I don't care what you are programming for, it always works that way.

Valve took the time to support both HMD's, Oculus did not, it is that simple.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Trinity
    so Rift can use both stores but Vive cannot..... seems legit
    Wintermute

It isn't very 'legit' actually.  I view it as a power play on Oculus's part in order to drive some more sales through their platform.  Ask yourself who is actually causing the fragmentation of the VR platform with moves like this. 

Oculus is undoubtedly spreading themselves pretty thin by not only releasing a piece of hardware, but also getting a brand new online content platform off the ground (not to mention the mobile side of things).  A platform that doesn't allow multiplayer gaming or saving games to the drive of choice I might add.  So if you buy PC cars on Oculus Home, you can't play multiplayer with everyone who has purchased it on Steam thus far (which is pretty much everyone).

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Wintermute
    edited April 2016
    I apologize for calling you a troll @Synthetic. You were on a Rift VS. Vive tirade for a bit there, and when you come out of nowhere with a Vive/Rift non sequitur it triggered my hair trigger troll alarm. It's good to see you've mellowed.

Back on topic!

Due to the recommended placement of the dual cameras (both on same wall), It's fairly safe to say that Oculus Home is not planning to offer 360 degree, hand tracked games. In order to access 360 degree, hand tracked games Rift owners will need to buy from places other than Oculus Home (like Steam).
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    Pcars issue is down to the devs giving all content on a seperate platform package, its their fault, I cant comment on that.

Vive trying to "hack" oculus store and play luckys tale ect ect. is a lame way of going about things. the games are thin at the moment and people will try and launch any game they can. Steam having cleaned up its store just recently of VR and all the games that are not compatible with 1.3 (before you could buy a game and it totally not work on steam I must have gotten like 12 refunds) So you have users crying out for content and then the vive users getting mad they cant play oculus games and the rift users not getting the full range of games because of the motion controllers of the Vive.... its all a mess and even when the touch arrives they are not going to be plug and play with the vive controller scheme.... so for a long while we are going to see this division.
    Wintermute
    @VisionVR I was noticing those Insomniac games trailers looked to keep the action in one direction and didn't really look like any character movement was allowed.  It would probably play a lot like Audioshield, which puts little feet outlines on the floor where you should stand to play the game.
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    salright @VizionVRim an easy going person
    Wintermute
    @VisionVR I was noticing those Insomniac games trailers looked to keep the action in one direction and didn't really look like any character movement was allowed.  It would probably play a lot like Audioshield, which puts little feet outlines on the floor where you should stand to play the game.
    I haven't had a chance to check those out. There's certainly nothing wrong with forward facing games and some of them are downright addictive. One developer/reviewer said out of all his work in virtually every VR platform, his most immersive moments came from Oculus' Toy Box demo! That's really exciting to hear, considering Oculus might include a refined version of it with Touch! I'm just wondering if some Rift owners might have the wrong impression about what Oculus might be offering when they see all these 360, hand tracked Vive videos.

Now based on something Brantlew said in the roomscale thread got me wondering. He's very clear that Touch controllers do not define a roomscale experience. This gets me thinking that Oculus might be developing 360 degree experiences that only require gaze to control. The HMD is tracked 360 degrees, even with a single camera.
    Trinity
    im thinking touch controllers are very different from the roomscale and we should not predict that the touch controllers are going to give us the roomscale exactly like how we imagine roomscale at the moment
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,784
    Project 2501
    The roomscale word gets thrown around a lot for no reason....Room scale and motion controllers are two different animals, I wish people would get the distinction....

Touch will be awesome Motion Controllers, and even if the second cam can be placed in an opposite corner, Oculus doesn't see it that way and prefer to have both in front. So even if the Rift could do roomscale with USB extension, since Oculus won't push it, devs will continue developing front facing motion controller games...

So at the end of the day, the VIVE will be the only option for the actual room scale, and both will be able to do awesome motion control games.
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 [email protected], 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    Wintermute
    @maxpare79 you may very well be right.  The shorter cable of the Rift favors more of a front-facing 270 degree setup as does the short length of the tracking camera cable (assuming the Touch camera cable is the same length as the Rift).  The advertisements as of late are backing up that assumption as well.

I am betting this has to do with cable management.  It isn't as much of an issue when games have you facing one direction.  As soon as you start spinning, the cable could potentially wrap around your feet.  The size and length of the Vive cable allow me to avoid it entirely, although I could see it being an issue if you weren't paying attention.
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    Just got my Vive shipment tracking, will be here Thursday! I will post my experience when I have free time from it in 2 months.
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    tranceology3 congrats I bet you are excited, 2 months in the Vive heheheheee
  • shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    I'm just wondering if they will included extension cables for both the HMD and 2nd camera.  Oculus want a console like experience and ease of use but I wonder if they'll have to make games with requirements.  Like how some VIVE games require over a certain space and won't let you play unless you have that space.  I am hoping they will push the opposite camera setup as a 2nd option but completely unsure how they are going to handle touch
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
    3Jane
    @DrOculus Thx. I am extremely excited. Just called all my buddies, gonna throw my first VR party Saturday. Gonna capture some awesome videos. 
  • DrOculusDrOculus Posts: 192
    I found this on the Vive reddit, some guy had "spare" wands and strapped them to his feet for feet tracking as well as tracking the HMD and Wands in his hands.
    Looks fun

Wintermute
    Just got my Vive shipment tracking, will be here Thursday! I will post my experience when I have free time from it in 2 months.
    Very cool! Do you have your space prepared? Content installed? Drivers updated? Vacation request submitted? Tuxedo rented? :) If you plan on mounting the Lighthouse base stations permanently you'll need a drill and phillips head screw driver. Everything else is supplied.
    Wintermute
    DrOculus said:
    I found this on the Vive reddit, some guy had "spare" wands and strapped them to his feet for feet tracking as well as tracking the HMD and Wands in his hands.
    Looks fun

That's a pretty ingenius use for the controllers. I wonder how many controllers can be used before things start glitching. I'm also curious how the Steam VR settings panel handles something like this. Would it simply add more controller icons to the UI to allow extended pairing?
    3Jane
    @VisionVR My room is definitely not ready... I will set up the Vive for the first time at my Mom's house, she also has a much bigger area I think, like 15x18ft. I bought two support rods, with 1/4" camera mount clamps, seems to be a great solution for mobility, Already spent a good chunk of money on content, all installed, drivers updated, it is like a vacation, travelling down to Del Mar in Cali, that's my original hood  :). Tuxedo is a good call, would love to greet everyone at the door that way.

Here is a pic of my support rods, and clamps, cost me $45 for two, they extend to 9.5ft. 
    Wintermute
    15 x 18 feet! Nice! That's even enough space for the Unseen Diplomacy demo. Those support rods are a good idea. I'd considered using tripods but the footprint eats up valuable VR real estate. I opted for wall mount instead but may pick up a pair of those rods when taking Vive on the road.
  • PassiveVRPassiveVR Posts: 153
    Art3mis
    DrOculus said:
    PassiveVR said:
    DrOculus said:
    PassiveVR  You make me sick, you come in here telling us how much you are having a fantastic time in the Vive and I have to wait until May to get mine, well out of order you are hahahahha

Joking aside thanks for giving us you`re thoughts on experiences you are having with the Vive..I really can`t wait to get mine!!!

Have you used other VR? DK2? I think for sure, if you have, you'll definitely appreciate that massive difference proper controls *AND* roomscale brings. .....

I hope you didn't take me the wrong way Passive, I was joking saying you made me sick with envy because i want my Vive now :)
    No, not at all! :) I understood your joke. I was just continuing the conversation, read that "have you used other VR" in a sort of excited tone, trying to convey that if you have you'll probably find Vive a great upgrade thanks to the controls and roomscale. Text can often be a problem without tone of voice. :)

Hope your Vive arrives on time, or maybe even sooner if HTC suddenly fire up another factory to pump 'em out!
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    VizionVR said:
    DrOculus said:
    Looks fun

That's a pretty ingenius use for the controllers. I wonder how many controllers can be used before things start glitching. I'm also curious how the Steam VR settings panel handles something like this. Would it simply add more controller icons to the UI to allow extended pairing?

From what I understand, I think 16 objects can be in the lighthouse volume. As of now though, only two wireless controllers can be synced. The way this guy did in the video was he used two old Vive DK1 controllers that are wireless using a wired dongle. When they are wired they just show up as extra controllers, so that's how he got 4 controllers tracked. I am sure once the Vive get's a little more established, we will see them add additional tracking devices.  
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Congrats! :) How long did it take for them to ship it, after you recieved the 'preorder authorization' mail? I'm waiting for them right now, have had this mail since friday!
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    @Deadace are you asking about the email with the first sentence: "We're about to finalize your order. Let's make sure it doesn't get delayed!"?

If so, I got that email on Friday, 15th. I also payed via paypal and was charged instantly on Feb 29th, so they didn't have to charge me. I got a status change to "Pending Fulfillment" Sunday night, then they shipped yesterday, Tuesday, will receive Thursday. 

I was 0:17min pre-order. and am in California.