New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Netbook + CV1 + GTX 1070 = Success!

IGameArtIGameArt Posts: 89
Hiro Protagonist
edited August 2016 in General
So I have a Notebook PC, it's essentially an 11" Clevo W110er with the following specs:

• Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.4 GHz Turbo Mode to 3.4Ghz) (Quad Core) (6MB Cache)
  • 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
My Oculus Compatibility Test passed on all but the GPU and CPU sections. Clearly my i7 processor will be sufficient enough to power most games without too much hassle, but the GT 650M is where my trouble lies, that and the hdmi port on my notebook is a part of my integrated processor and is completely unrecognizable to my CV1, therefor rendering my ability to even use the device null and void.

So, here is where my experiments begin. It's clear that I need a new GPU, specifically the GTX 1070 that I just ordered. The problem is getting it to sync with my laptop. To do that, I recently placed an order for something similar to the image below:

This kit will allow me to fit a full sized pci-e card into this dock, attach it to a separate power supply, and fit it directly into the pci mini slot that my wireless network card is currently occupying. The only real issue is that i'll have to leave the back off of my laptop or drill a hole big enough to fit the cord through.

Here is a video of a very similar set up being put to the test:

I've read comments that Cybereality has left stating that the Oculus isn't supporting mobile graphics architecture, so to me this seems like a pretty fantastic way to bypass that and still have a fairly portable VR getup. Not only do I add more graphics power, but also that important "HDMI port on a dedicated graphics processor" that I'm so desperately needing.

I'll be documenting my processing in this thread as soon as all of my hardware has arrived, so stay tuned!

Comments

• This looks awesome!
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 281
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Since you already ordered the EXP GDC, let me know if it works for you. It didn't work for me :(

I tried it with EXP GDC Beast v8.0 + GTX780 + DK2 + runtime 0.8 + Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
    But my laptop was way too old (Acer Aspire 5535) and every DK2 demo I tried was too much judder (Titans of Space reported around 37-38 FPS)

Might be the CPU or the fact that the GPU runs at PCI-E v1.1 @ 1x with this setup.

If your setup works I suggest this box to put in the GPU and power supply:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-150x160x275mm-2014-new-electronic-project-box-pcb-holder-electrical-box-metal-enclosure-switch-box/2012245268.html
    It has the perfect dimensions but of course you'll need to drill/punch all the holes yourself.
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • IGameArtIGameArt Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have a 3d printer and was thinking about making some kind of thing that would stabilize the whole thing in a more fashionable and breathable case
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited April 2016
    Just got the confirmation for the shipping of my adapter finally.

And a step by step installation guide for those of you who are curious how the adapter works:

Hiro Protagonist
    You have no idea how happy I am to report that I have successfully equipped my tiny netbook with a gtx 1070, and ran a few demos on my oculus after letting it sit in my closet for close to a year!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You gotta share a picture or something, because that is unbelievable.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • SakkuraSakkura Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    How much performance bottlenecking are you getting from the PCIe 1.1 x1 connection? It ought to be pretty severe with a 1070. Otherwise it's a viable enough solution if the Rift isn't bothered by the chipset and adapter latency.

It would make A LOT more sense to me running off a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection through an M.2 slot though.
    Hiro Protagonist
    If I had other options with my rig, I would definitely use them. But my netbook is pretty limited, only available expansion port is the mpcie. I'll get pictures and video up when I get off of work.
  • ftwelveftwelve Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but How has this continued to work out for you after the initial testing? I have the exact same laptop (I have a I7-3920XM int it) and was thinking about doing a similar setup, as my main PC is way to big to lug around to show off the Rift to people.
    Hiro Protagonist
    its been working like a charm since day one. occasionally my gpu will crash, but that's a very rare occurance now. Games play buttery smooth for the most part, a few hiccups here and there due to the bandwidth limit the hdmi and mini pci port impose. A couple of issues with my usb ports not being fully compatible so there can be a little slipping in the positional tracking but it's hardly noticeable if ever. I'm having a wonderful time with the whole setup :)
  • zbosonzboson Posts: 994 Poster of the Week
    ftwelve said:
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but How has this continued to work out for you after the initial testing? I have the exact same laptop (I have a I7-3920XM int it) and was thinking about doing a similar setup, as my main PC is way to big to lug around to show off the Rift to people.
    I carry my 980M laptop around almost everyday. It works great with the CV1.  I used to also carry the CV1 in its box as well to and from places but I avoid that now.
  • ftwelveftwelve Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    IGameArt said:
    its been working like a charm since day one. occasionally my gpu will crash, but that's a very rare occurance now. Games play buttery smooth for the most part, a few hiccups here and there due to the bandwidth limit the hdmi and mini pci port impose. A couple of issues with my usb ports not being fully compatible so there can be a little slipping in the positional tracking but it's hardly noticeable if ever. I'm having a wonderful time with the whole setup :)
    I just finished hooking up a Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX to mine and it works great so far, although I haven't tried anything really intense yet. Working on printing a case for it. 
    Thanks for the heads up that it actually worked.
  • ColinBColinB Posts: 236
    Nexus 6
    It's like a flying pig !!