Is DK2 now completly not working anymore with the newest runtime? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is DK2 now completly not working anymore with the newest runtime?

bgzerobgzero Posts: 3
Hey guys,

so i have been having issues with a not working DK2 tonight. yellow light were on, partial connectivity status in the oculus home settings as usual, but didnt start it up the way it should. also i couldnt start any games as it gave me an error message that i should check my hdm and sensor connection.
So after trying arround a bunch of things i uninstalled and reinstalled oculus home (and the drivers) and now comes the interesting part: It worked fine again, but then it said that it has to install an update. Hit that button, it installed a newer runtime and now its not working again reacting in exact the same way as befor.

so my question is quite obvious: has DK2 already completly stoped working after only one runtime update? i shure freaking hope not!

Comments

• FX2KFX2K Posts: 254
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Having the same issue here.  
    I also tried steam VR and whilst the blue light turned on, nobody was home (blank display).
    Obviously I know this uses the 1.3 runtime, but thought it worth mentioning because the rift did 'kinda' turn on.

CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
  • nosesnoses Posts: 2
    I think so, in that I just downloaded oculus home, and I have had this exact problem. It tells me the hdmi cable is not connected, and led won't turn blue. It stays orange or completely off. 

Looks like the broke dk2 functionality... Don't know if it's intentional, or not. But I will be basing my decision to keep my CV1 order on whether they support the 100k dk2's out there. 
  • STRICK9STRICK9 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    I've been using my DK2 all day. No issues here.
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    STRICK9 said:
    Ahh, but the update roll's out slowly, so you may have the 1.3 instead of 1.31

The update rolls out slowly, so not everyone will get it at once.

Check Settings > General for the version.
  • bgzerobgzero Posts: 3
    Without wanting to overreact on things, it would shurely move me towards the vive. simply because in general dropping the dk2 support completly at this stage already was such a bullshit move for dk2 owners. And breaking it after a week via runtime update is even worste.
    I have been owning a dk2 since february 2015. I waited for 1.0 (or 1.3, whatever) for so long. And thats how fast you ask me for more money? I would have to say that i prefer steam as plattform :(
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    DK2 should still be working, If you're having problems, can you send me the logs? Also, can you get me the log zip created by "OculusLogGatherer.exe" in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics"? Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • STRICK9STRICK9 Posts: 146
    Art3mis
    FX2K said:
    STRICK9 said:
    Ahh, but the update roll's out slowly, so you may have the 1.3 instead of 1.31

The update rolls out slowly, so not everyone will get it at once.

Check Settings > General for the version.
    Don't scare me bro :(
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    I updated earlier and then used my DK2 afterwards.  When I saw this thread, I tried again.  I would see a flash of white in the lenses and then they would go dark.  It happened a few times.  I restarted the service and tried again, and this time it worked.  It's definitely behaving a little differently than it did before the update.
    Nexus 6
    Its working ok for me now as it turns out, because @cybereality said it should, I spent a bit more time trying to get it to work... 

I switched usb ports between a few, unplugged and reconnected everything and it's now working as expected again, although I don't disconnect it, so why it suddenly stopped working is odd.
  • MelhadfMelhadf Posts: 26
    If oculus don't want the DKs working then install 0.8 and join us in SteamVR land.
  • bgzerobgzero Posts: 3
    Im sorry but i have to bump this again. Although Cybereality asked me to send my Logs i havent got any further answer to my problem. And it seems like there are not alot of people having this issue. Does anyone have a clue what else i could do?
    I tried switching usb ports too, but i only have 2 usb3 ports on my computer. I tried the usb2 ports as well though, but had no success.

one thing that might be worth a note: when i try to launch elite dangerous via steamVR it runs in windowed mode on my normal monitor but with face tracking enabled. So even that works fine.
  • comixcrozcomixcroz Posts: 210
    Art3mis
    They really need to make sure the DK2s work (at the very least) until anyone can instantly get a CV1 at their whim.  I'm talking walk into a Bestbuy and buy one in stock off of the shelf.  Otherwise, it's just plain wrong.  
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    weasel47 said:
    I updated earlier and then used my DK2 afterwards.  When I saw this thread, I tried again.  I would see a flash of white in the lenses and then they would go dark.  It happened a few times.  I restarted the service and tried again, and this time it worked.  It's definitely behaving a little differently than it did before the update.
    That could be a physical problem with your DK2. My old DK2 has problems like that - in my case, sometimes when it turns on it's a white static-filled screen that gets brighter and brighter until I shut it off before it burns its pixels out. Then I try again and it works, though occasionally it does the same thing again. A friend of mine's DK2 does the white static screen but his doesn't get brighter.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,177 Volunteer Moderator
    I've got 1.3.1, it's working fine on my DK2 so far.

• It works fine, just not with anything that used to work before the update, cant get hal life 2 , portal etc to work anymore as it just launches the oculus home instead of actually playing
  • KhiuKhiu Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    I've got the same issue.
    At first I wasn't able to get it to work with my USB ports either, but after removing the a/c adapter and plugging it back in after the blue leds went on it worked for me (not very stable though). I guess this is problem only occurs for certain USB hardware or drivers, unfortunately I'm not able to send logs right now. I'll do that when I get home.
  • NewsboyNewsboy Posts: 2
    I'm getting the HMD working but no positional tracking as the camera is just not lighting up (despite it showing as fine in the Device Manager). Everything worked yesterday but I did have a big Windows 10 update today.
    Brain Burst
    What motherboard and USB hardware do you all have?
    I've got an Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard and my USB3 controllers are Etron EJ168. Im going to try installing their drivers when I get home. I'm currently on Windows 10 default drivers.
    If that doesn't work I'm going to try the beta AMD drivers for my GPU.
  • flexodoodflexodood Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    no chance.... previous versions worked fine. oculus home just connects to sensor. hmd usb and hdmi searching....
    Brain Burst
    Updates are apparently rolled out to users over a period of time, maybe yours hasnt been pushed yet.
  • master4382master4382 Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    My DK2 works fine with the runtime 1.3.1. (Asus g750jh 780m)
  • franticfrantic Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    Can anyone confirm if DK1 works on 1.3.1?
    Update takes forever to arrive(my version is 1.3.0.198914) and I'm thinking about jumping back to 0.8 and SteamVR.
  • ForksterForkster Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have the ASMedia USB 3.0 ports which are not compatible with 1.3.1.  You know Oculus, ASUS ASMedia controllers are perhaps the most common for the worlds largest motherboard manufacturer for USB 3.0 ports. But none of that is my business.  :|
  • MelhadfMelhadf Posts: 26
    DK1s are dead to Oculus now.  1.3.1 also doesn't support it.  It's 0.8 and steamvr/Vive software only from now on... in other words time to save up for a new HMD and build a library of vive games in the meantime.... I wonder which device most DK1 users will choose.
  • TheOtherJohnTheOtherJohn Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I bought a DK2 second hand from a friend it worked perfectly i used it before buying. But the bloody thing has NEVER worked since i took it home, spent 10's of hours with Oculus support and have just given up. Saving up for a HTC since using one at PAXAus. Shame, all i wanted to do is play VR games and instead i just wasted my money.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Not a very good "friend" selling you a dev kit that's lacking in support
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,233 Valuable Player
    I bought a DK2 second hand from a friend it worked perfectly i used it before buying. But the bloody thing has NEVER worked since i took it home, spent 10's of hours with Oculus support and have just given up. Saving up for a HTC since using one at PAXAus. Shame, all i wanted to do is play VR games and instead i just wasted my money.
    Sounds like some problem with your PC.  It should still work.  Hope it was cheap, or maybe you need better friends if he sold you a DK2 for a lot of money even though everyone knows it's likely to completely stop working any day now. 
  • deanogurdeanogur Posts: 456
    Nexus 6
    There are still many DK2's in use and working with the current software although, it comes with the risk that it may stop working at any time and comes with limitations. Getting it to work on any particular system may certainly have it's challenges and your best bet to find support is to consult with other experienced DK-users in various game forums.