New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

In Gear VR 2.0 what we want?

DilipDilip Posts: 235
Nexus 6
edited April 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
Smart Phone world is rapidly changing and high are the chances we can very well see Gear VR V2 or its improved iteration no later than next year..

What can be improved to current Gear VR?
The prime necessities IMO are...

1)More better Optics.
2) Way to eliminate Fogging.

Any chance to see OCULUS CV1 Fresnel Hybrid optics in Gear VR?

To eliminate fogging i think we need active cooling, which also double up as defogger.

3) More thin unit and even sleek body to make it truly pocket-able with semi rigid cloth cover carry case....

One more ingredient to "Perfect Pie" is slab that powers GVR

Phone which do not bomb the bank account ...
Like Galaxy S7 Lite (without WQHD screen)...FHD screen may reduce the price also pump up power to handle app can prolong battery life too.

What others on this forum think?

Comments

• strokercratestrokercrate Posts: 179
    Art3mis
    The ability to self adjust the alignment. No matter what device i use im always slightly listed left until i shake my head at an angle from lower left to upper right. It levels for awhile and slowly goes back to a left list.
  • bbagnallbbagnall Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Number 1: Head tracking
    Number 2: Hand tracking
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    by Head Tracking do you mean "Positional Tracking"? As head tracking is already there... there is external gyro sensor already built in Gear VR all iteration and it does not depend on sensors of phone for head tracking.

Hand tracking is already in process,May hit market sooner than we expect..
    just google "Rink"

• FulbyFulby Posts: 184
    Art3mis
    Positional head tracking - I haven't a Rift or Vive yet but Carmack and others have said how important it is for presence.

Also as a developer I'd like USB data passthough. I'm worried I'm going to break the USB port with the constant plugging and unplugging. (I should be able to use Wifi to copy the game from Unity to the S6 but it's many times slower for some reason.)

I'm personally not worried about hand tracking. I haven't tried it but without haptic feedback I worry it's more disconcerting than helpful.
  • The option to move the adjustment of each eye separately.  I'm desperately looking for some way to do it on current gen even if I have to cut the thing to pieces myself.
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    IPD adjustment is even absent in CV1 of Oculus Rift. Will they include it in Gear VR?

Oculus Rift has different approach instead of moving optics their adjustment slider moves displays from near to far. Its impossible to do so in mobile as its being single display.

• BolajiFlowshowBolajiFlowshow Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    all i want is a higher resolution 4k and a store full of more content  , and for the screen to be a lot more clearer. they already have a fantastic screen tho, but trust me, these hardware developers can achieve way way more!  i trust them !
    Nexus 6
    crisp display is most desirable but keeping FoV 96 degree or up is also critical. Improvement in lens technology can  also reduce screen door and aberrations
  • The option to move the adjustment of each eye separately.  I'm desperately looking for some way to do it on current gen even if I have to cut the thing to pieces myself.
    i did just that, it's not hard, and you don't have to cut much - see my other post
  • bbagnallbbagnall Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Dilip said:
    by Head Tracking do you mean "Positional Tracking"? As head tracking is already there... there is external gyro sensor already built in Gear VR all iteration and it does not depend on sensors of phone for head tracking.

Positional tracking. I've posted some thoughts before about what would be amazing if it's possible. Carmack is usually great at doing the impossible:

From what I understand, basic head tracking along x-y-z can be done with an inertial measurement unit (IMU) and it is quite responsive. I've programmed an IMU before but never for a VR app. The basic problem is that the IMU loses calibration after a few minutes and the perceived coordinates start to drift from what they actually should be. 

There are two ways to overcome this:
    1. Periodic re-calibration. This could be done with the front facing video camera on the phone and some QR code markers on the walls around you. The re-calibration could be done in a very low-priority thread that perhaps completes every 15 seconds or whatever. It doesn't have to jerk your view back to the calibrated position but could slowly coax the view back on track (nudging the coordinates a few millimeters here and there as you move around) without you noticing very much. And this could also eliminate rotational drift at the same time as well, which the Gear VR currently suffers from.

2. If you have a large enough area to move around in, such as a football field, I start to doubt it matters because you won't ever start running into walls. Sure you might not start and end a game in the same exact location but as long as the IMU is semi-accurate, you will still get movement happening in the game and the feeling of movement should be close enough not to make you sick. It could even periodically recalibrate against rough GPS position to make sure someone doesn't wander out of a park onto a roadway. smile
    Nexus 6
    @bbagnall

video camera on the phone and some QR code markers on the walls

Is wonderful idea, there can also be few IR markers with button cells that can be activated
    and placed at strategic places at time of play for tracking. Always on back camera may
    taxing on battery though,.

• High Dynamic Range rendering and screen would be nice.
  • darkangel6415darkangel6415 Posts: 148
    Hiro Protagonist
    Open world game with exploring and not preset movement doesn't have to be a big world like gta v or skyrim