cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vsync problem - Galaxy S6, Android 6.0.1

aelita1992
Explorer
In past few days we've encountered an interesting problem with vsync in our vr game.

We're using galaxy S6, the demos were frequently tested and results compared for past 3 months and the game was running with smooth 60fps for that time. In past few days a strange 60 -> 30 fps drop happened out of nowhere and for that time we tried to find and eliminate the case.

We have 2 galaxy S6 devices for tests and when both of them were tested with the same build - the newest one and the old stable releases, it appeared only one of devices is lagging and the only difference between them appeared to be Android 5 vs Android 6.0.1 version difference.

Later on, when more and more tests were performed it turned out that Android 6 seems to force VSync on and that Vsync i making about 50 to 60% of additional work and that is where the fps drop comes from.

Did anyone else encounter it? Did you find any solution for this problem?
4 REPLIES 4

aelita1992
Explorer
After more testing we noticed the problem is connected with vsync making much more work on Android 6.0.1 . It was performing some work earlier but the differenced are huge. I'll post a reference view of our profiler for scale.
On the left we can see a fragment for Android 6.0.1 profiling, and on the right side of Android 5 for a build created one at the same moment. The yellow part is how much work vsync is performing.

duuv7q23s5ve.png

moulder6
Protege
Did u guys find a solution?

Leemon89
Explorer
We are experiencing very same trouble in UE4. Don't even know what to do with it. Have you found out something?

Leemon89
Explorer
Little update: I've found out that enabling Mobile HDR makes frame render time jumping constantly between 16.6 and 33.3 ms. Even in almost empty scene - 1 drawcall, 30 tris, static (baked) light source. In LDR mode it's silky smooth 16.6 ms. even under significant load.