cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Rift be brought into a country where is isn't certified via a carry-on through an airport?

FutureShock_
Expert Protege
I have a friend who is coming to Korea in the next four months from the US and there is still no word on when or if people in Korea will be allowed to order the Rift or whether it even passed certification here, so I was wondering if they check for this kind of thing in carry on luggage or whether it's perhaps best to remove it from the original packaging first. 

If this is possible I'm going to jump the gun and have it shipped to my friend. I'm going to pay them $100 extra for this but it's worth it considering how long I've been waiting. 

Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

Vega55
Explorer
It is not a controlled substance or any sort of limited of controlled thing (drugs, firearms, certain midicines, plants / seeds) so at a first glance I do not see a reason your "friend" might have e problem with that. But of course you should maybe first check with your local authorities if you're in doubt.

FutureShock_
Expert Protege
Thanks, I'm not sure how this sort of thing works. 

Another question, what if I had it sent through mail, would they check then? It could take longer than four months with all these shipping issues and I may have to have it sent later. 

DLFReporter
Expert Protege

Make sure to transfer the money to him and let him buy it for you! Afaik Oculus does not allow your shipment address to vary from your CC billing address.

If and when your friend visits, make sure that he brings the CV unpacked and that he mentions to the customs, that it is his (if they ask)! Custom officers are sometimes quite quick to retain expensive 'presents' until you pay your VATs and import duties. 

I wouldn't send it packed in its original box either. Bigger parcels are very likely to be checked (at least here in Europe), so you'd better be ready to pay the VAT and import fees if he sends it that way.

Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April

FutureShock_
Expert Protege
I didn't know the shipment address and billing address had to be the same, good to know!

Korea is really anal about this sort of thing because of protectionist policies. One of my friends owns a restaurants and has to import cheese from Europe and they give him such a hard time he says it isn't even worth it. When he first imported it it was a massive headache.

I'm starting to think that going this route may not be worth it either. It comes down to a degree of risk I'm not comfortable with. 

That said Oculus isn't giving me a whole lot of options here by not telling us anything..

DLFReporter
Expert Protege
I guess, they (Oculus) are having the same headaches as your friend.
Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April