cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else a little underwhelmed?

Jams3793
Protege

So I have spent two days with my CV1, I had never tried any of the development models so I was excited to say the least.  During the past two days I have been having fun but I have some sticking points that I just cant ignore.

The real killer for me is the resolution, I know its been discussed previously but we wouldn't be PC gamers if we didn't want to get the best performance possible out of any of our devices. Most of us will be used to gaming in the absolute highest resolution possible, in some cases 4K.

While playing the various tech demos, Adr1ft, Time Machine VR and Chronos, I just cant help feel that the resolution really holds the experience back from realising its true potential.  Especially when you take the set off and see the game on your desktop looks crystal clear.

After about 50 minutes of using the set it starts to heat up and you become pretty conscious that you have a screen on your face, this along with the resolution issues starts to make the experience a little uncomfortable.

116 REPLIES 116

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
Even if the Oculus hardware could do the kind of resolution you want, your graphics card would never be able to handle it. 

edguy1
Protege
We will need to wait for tech to catch up to consumer level for 4k. Currently most people can't afford the CV1 because of the price and the machine needed to run visuals at 90fps at a constant, let alone the Rift itself.

Running in 4K is a whole new league where even the enthusiast would struggle. This tech might be in it's infancy but i'm still blown away on how immersive it is. I and many others would love to see 4K rifts but it's just not realistic enough at this moment in time.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
this is the 1st iteration, things will get better over the next few years.  as for GPUs not able to cope... that is only half true.... quality upscaled content on a high resolution screen looks much better than non upscaled content on a low res screen.... of course that goes hand in hand with still minimising SDE which is just as imporant as resolution.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

ECBL
Protege
Meh, I'm in the same boat you were in prior to receiving your cv1.  To say I'm excited for my bundle to finally come would be a complete understatement.  I was so desperate to experience "something" related to VR until my set comes that I picked up one of those View Master VR viewers from Target for like $19.99.

I'll be honest, when I first peered through at some of the NatGeo destinations on the demo reel I was (although excited), a bit disappointed by the resolution and latency from my iPhone, not to mention the lenses on that thing are about the diameter of a nickel, so FOV is probably like 40º lol.  It was cool though, and I've explored it a few times since.

They also had a Gear VR demo at the local Best Buy, but I refrained, so I can still maintain the wow factor when I get the Rift.  I'm glad to be reading some of these downsides to the cv1 so I at least know what to expect.  Thanks for the heads up!

Jams3793
Protege

2EyeGuy said:

Even if the Oculus hardware could do the kind of resolution you want, your graphics card would never be able to handle it. 

What my Nvidia Titan X?

Jams3793
Protege

ECBL said:

Meh, I'm in the same boat you were in prior to receiving your cv1.  To say I'm excited for my bundle to finally come would be a complete understatement.  I was so desperate to experience "something" related to VR until my set comes that I picked up one of those View Master VR viewers from Target for like $19.99.

I'll be honest, when I first peered through at some of the NatGeo destinations on the demo reel I was (although excited), a bit disappointed by the resolution and latency from my iPhone, not to mention the lenses on that thing are about the diameter of a nickel, so FOV is probably like 40º lol.  It was cool though, and I've explored it a few times since.

They also had a Gear VR demo at the local Best Buy, but I refrained, so I can still maintain the wow factor when I get the Rift.  I'm glad to be reading some of these downsides to the cv1 so I at least know what to expect.  Thanks for the heads up!

You will definitely experience feelings you have never felt playing video games, I can guarantee that! Look out for the T-Rex demo, I actually came close to taking the headset off as it made me feel so uncomfortable (In a good way!)

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Jams3793 said:

2EyeGuy said:

What my Nvidia Titan X?

nope!........  Elite Dangerous reccomended spec on CV1 is a GTX980. even then it is not a flawless experience at all times on ultra.  A titan X is a fabulous card for VR this generation, but we are a long way off a single GPU coming close to genuine 4K VR (aside from upscaling, which as i said, would have some potential benefits)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone who's done any research at all into their purchase knows that we won't be getting anything close to 1080p or higher resolution. I'm sure Oculus could have produced a higher resolution CV1, but how much would that have increased the cost by?

For this iteration of VR, it's more about immersion than resolution. Compare a VR game to a game that wowed you recently. The wow factor is still there, just in a different form.

nosys70
Expert Protege
the problem is the LCD screens used for VR helmet are still thinking "old school" , meaning their are designed by people used to think the screen is viewed from distance.
even a 640x480 screen looks good on a smartphone when viewed at arm distance.
so we need to see a new technology for VR headset that is not pushing pixel count, but they way they are built.
You can perfectly imagine a screen with decent resolution (like 1920x1080) that looks way better than the pentile screen we got today. But these screen need to be made with only target to suppress SDE and RGB pixels.
for exemply you could imagine stacking RGB pixels on different layers, like three transparent monochrome screens stacked. If each screen is slightly misaligned with the previous one, the pixel on top could cover the gap between the pixels under.
this is only an idea, there could be other solution (like pyramidal pixels, or tubes etc.. or microlenses)
but definitely the good old smatphone screen is a dead end.