New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How To Get Logs For Bug Reports for Consumer Rift (1.3+)

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,185 Oculus Staff
edited February 13 in Support
If you are experiencing issues either installing or using the consumer Rift hardware or software package (1.3 or newer), then please be sure to provide the following logs when reporting the issue.

If your issue is with the setup installer, either having errors or not completing, do these steps.

Open a File Explorer window and paste this in the URL field:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Oculus\
Then look for "OculusSetup.log" and upload it to your post. Please do *not* just copy/paste the text into the post area, as this becomes difficult to read. This folder may be hidden. Make sure you go into the Folder Options and choose Show Hidden Files and Folders first.

If you are having any other sort of problem after the installation, do the following.

Run "OculusLogGatherer.exe" by double-clicking the icon after navigating to this folder:
C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
and upload the zip file to your post.

Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• jabjab Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Just a hint. How a bout actually telling the user what the problem is, you know in the actual installer UI.

Having the user doing a pointless reboot and retry dance until he either gives up, or is forced to search the forums and finds this post, is kinda silly yes?
    After hours of doing the reboot (and cleaning up your mess filling my C drive) and reinstall dance, it took me 5 minutes to understand and fix the problem once I knew how to read the actual error message in the log.

Mine was that I have the Windows firewall disabled.
    - Install 'Set up Windows Firewall rules.' failed.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,185 Oculus Staff
    Yes, that's good feedback. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • rodgermoorerodgermoore Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016
    I too had to dig around quite some time to find out what my problem was. Some content in Oculus Home was working, other content like "Henry" didn't. Running "Henry" straight from the Oculus Home installation directory "Program Files "x86" finally showed me the missing clue: "XAPOfx1_5.dll is missing". Running the DirectX webinstaller from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=35 solved it.
    Thanks for sharing @rodgermoore ;
  • YarnibYarnib Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    I moved the question to main support .
  • robojihadrobojihad Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I posted parts of this log in another thread.

My CV1 will initialize after a reboot if open the oculus runtime.  It will run for a few moments in the storefront and then freeze, terminate the audio, and then go black.  The white light turns amber, and I have to unplug everything and reattach it to try again.  Same, reproducible results.  Note: I have the latest runtime and my nvidia drivers are 368.22 and up to date.  I am curious as to what those error codes in my report mean specifically if staff would be nice enough to post. 
    Looks USB related. Can you try different USB ports (including USB 2.0 for the sensor)?
  • robojihadrobojihad Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    I switched out the USB connectors to other ones (I've only got 3.0 on this rig) and got the same results... at first!  I did a total uninstall of all USB hardware drivers, rebooted, and reinstalled them.  I was just able to watch a bunch of Jaunt videos with absolutely no issue.

Out of curiousity, what was it that you noticed that let you believe it was USB related? This was the second isolated time that this issue happened albeit this was much more pronounced.  Uninstalling and reinstalling USB drivers worked for me this time, but it'd be nice to know where to look to try and diagnose myself a bit better in the future. 

Thank you very much!  I would be bricked at the moment if you didn't help!
  • My CPU should support SSE 4.2. Attached is my log file.
  • my setup has an audio driver issue...... 
  • ElunedraElunedra Posts: 85
    Brain Burst
    @StevenPicard

the log says:

[Error] [6/23/2016 7:28:07 PM] Uncaught exception!
    System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'Intrinsics.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
       at Dawn.Preflight.CpuArchitectureCheck.IsSSE42OrLater()
       at Dawn.Preflight.CpuArchitectureCheck.RunCheckImpl()
       at Dawn.Mixins.SafeCallMixin(Func`1 func, String title, String caller)

With in normal english says it cant load the Intrinsics.dll which it uses to detect if your cpu supports SSE 4.2

There are some sites on google that say that they have a solution but i find them a bit pushy with getting you to install thier mallware

here is some info about it: http://www.fixerrorhelps.com/fix-pc-error/how-to-fix-Intrinsics.dll-error.html
  • mr2dajmr2daj Posts: 103
    Hiro Protagonist
    my rift does not work. just the amber light 
  • PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 159
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    I have only recently set up my Oculus CV1 and have only been able to use it for 15 mins before it shuts down.(becomes disconnected from USB's) I have reinstalled/checked drivers etc etc followed advice on Oculus site and have come to the conclusion that something inside the headset is broken. 
    I cannot get past the 'Adjust your lenses' stage as every time I pick up the headset the device drivers (trumpet sound win 10) try to install and then when i move the headset again the USB connection is lost. Over and over again. I have tried unplugging the headset plug (both ends) and reinstalled Oculus set up many times x 800mb. 
    The CV1 was a present from my better half and I've only just finished building the PC to run it !  Win 10 pro 64bit, i7 intel, Asus z170 deluxe and gtx1080, 16gb ram. Looks like I'm going to regret this.
    As advised in the thread I've submitted ticket and attached all debug files in zip format - but from what I've read on this forum support can be a little... er have you tried plugging it in? etc

OMG I've just found this thread:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/37046/oculus-support-is-shocking/p4

PLEASE don't let days and weeks go by before my Rift is working again... I've already been asked 'have you plugged/unplugged both ends of the cable'  by support despite writing that i did in my first message and including a system diagnostic file as requested in this thread.
    It's the cable or what it's connected to in the headset - I know it...

...here's a little vid:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9fw3e90rfz7nsi/Oculus hardware error.mp4?dl=0

and no i am not using a Mac - just their keyboard and mouse - My PC (the bill gates windows variety) details are in the text body above.

The Asus Z170-DELUXE has more usb3's than you can shake a stick at, plus there's a few on the front panel of the case, all set to no sleep in control panel just in case anyone asks (-:

• riopinoriopino Posts: 7
    @PIXELATED

Did you update your Z170 USB3.1 driver to version V1.16.33.1? ASUS said this version improved USB device compatibility e.g. Oculus VR.
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016

@riopino
     Oh yes... updated all usb drivers and turned 'off' all the the sleep functions so as to keep all awake just in case I got bored !
    ...in fact the latest ASMedia USB 3.1 driver for my Asus Z170 is v1.16.35.1 on Win 10 64bit

Added:
    I will continue to update any progress I achieve with support in this thread until my issue is solved. Apologies to everyone who has a fully functional Oculus CV1 - you are very fortunate. 
    @PIXELATED
    My motherboard is Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with V1.16.33.1 on Win 10 64bit, I haven't encountered the problem like yours...
    I have 2 ideas maybe you can try...
    1. Rollback driver to 1.16.33.1. I know the latest version is 1.16.35.1, but Asus official website hasn't announced it.
    2. Use USB 3.0 ports, they are using Intel chipset controller not ASMedia
    Well...I guess you have tried both before...
    @PIXELATED
    My motherboard is Asus Z170 Pro Gaming with V1.16.33.1 on Win 10 64bit, I haven't encountered the problem like yours...
    I have 2 ideas maybe you can try...
    1. Rollback driver to 1.16.33.1. I know the latest version is 1.16.35.1, but Asus official website hasn't announced it.
    2. Use USB 3.0 ports, they are using Intel chipset controller not ASMedia
    Well...I guess you have tried both before...
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    @riopino
    Really appreciate you trying to help... but roll-back drivers doesn't work - even with the intel ones, i tried that too

Watch my video - in the post above, see the link? and my posts - and you will see that drivers aren't the problem, it's the movement of the headset that disconnects and reconnects over and over again and it would seem it's not just the hdmi/hmd lead or connection but something internal.. maybe on the circuit board inside?

I'm still waiting for support to read the log files I sent to them and then get back to me with good news
    Art3mis
    Just one of the lines in the latest system report I have sent zipped up:
    21/07 14:30:40.899 {WARNING} [HW:Health] Hardware health is BAD. 

Still not heard anything else from support since Tuesday 19th  :'(  I've lost count of how many times I've download the Oculus Install App @ 800mb a go !
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    Quick update... after an email from support on Saturday they have emailed me a 'return postage label' today Sunday!  So it would seem that the staff are working at the weekend to sort things out (-:
    I hope the turn around to receive a brand new replacement is as swift - please don't send someone elses refurb. A new unit which doesn't get hot and disconnect will be greatly appreciated.

Added content:
    bottom of this first page explains what i had to do to get support to love me (-:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/419552/#Comment_419552

Sincerely good luck everyone.. and if you have problems with your Rift be sure to mention your PC's spec in your post if you want help from other folk here on the forum - there are so many people here who want to help you properly without condescending. Just spend a little time researching your problem before posting. 
  • VolksheldVolksheld Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Hello to all .
    @PIXELATED I have the same {WARNING} [HW:Health] Hardware health is BAD. in my Service text .

and also i can´t find the OculusLogGatherer.exe . I search all twice .
    (i dont have an Oculus folder inside C:\Program Files (x86) .)

Also under User/Appdata/Local/oculus --> No OculusLogGatherer.exe
    I am usind Windows10 64Bit .
    Maybe Oculus changing something
    My Support Ticket is open and i hope they will change my Rift too soon .
    It is frustrating to have an 700€ Device and i could try only for Minutes before it loose the HDMI connection.
    I worry it will take Weeks again to get a new Rift .
    Art3mis
    Volksheld said:
    and also i can´t find the OculusLogGatherer.exe . I search all twice .
    (i dont have an Oculus folder inside C:\Program Files (x86)
    it's not in my x86 folder on Win10 pro 64bit too
    It's here:
    ThisPC/Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/Oculus/Support/oculus-diagnostics/OculusLogGatherer.exe
  • VolksheldVolksheld Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    @PIXELATED ;   I found it ..but it is on another Harddrive .It depends on which drive you choose to install the Oculus Sottware at first time :)   shame on me and thank you for your help .
    Art3mis
    edited August 2016
    Hi everyone.. + @Volkshed

TLDR = my story is in my posts on this forum - search for 'PIXELATED'

In retrospect I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to 'deal' with support (outside this forum) providing them with all the specs of my self built computer (after six months research & wait for the rift to arrive) and emailing log files to 'support' and spending money on new pci cards that run apparently different chips to counter my motherboards inadequacies! (Asus z170 deluxe) plus again swapping/changing usb ports till my fingertips were raw plus having to read the advice of self (overconfident) confessed experts that suggested plugging the cable back in or quite frankly didn't have a clue. oh and re-installing windoze 10 pro just to be sure... yup i did that!

If your brain is still alive and you have a pulse and you can work through a few probs (without raging) and can outline (calmly) those issues found in these forum pages and submit everything 'they' ask for and if you still don't get results.. go for 'i'm going to claim back on credit card / paypal etc - it will speed your responce up.   It took me 2 weeks from sending mine back to receiving a brand new one - Luckey me! - two weeks too long but I reside in the UK and that sort of service happens in a day over here so I expected similar... nah chance for this product.  And anyone who tells you have to have patience (while being a patient) give em some slack for two days max then do what you have to do. This is a consumer product.

With regard to the mods here... they're here to help, but they're not the guys n gals on the repair/replace button - give em some respect..

Once you've got through 'is your rift plugged in to a certified computer' and ' have you wiggled the hmd plug' and have you checked your pulse you are ready to go on to the next level with 'support'... and that is someone you can actually talk to about your issue. Send emails to support everyday till you get a real person responding - Sophie was my helper - all hail Sophie, we are not worthy of your... everything (-:

Mine was hardware - yours could be software - but rest assured that once you actually get to communicate with someone from support who isn't reading scripted responses or from a chart of popular moans then you are 'IN '

Be respectful at that stage (despite temptation) and your CV1 will magically function through complex instruction or merely magically appear on your doorstep (once you've sent it back RMA) when you least expect it - lets hope someone is in to sign for it !

<good luck everyone>

Commiserations to the few that have had issues and 'expletives' to all those that can't empathise - your time will come (-:
  • Windows 10 Beta won't start in VR mode.  I get 'Failure to launch Minecraft' then it boots me back to the Oculus Store.

It runs fine when I launch it from the XBox app.  It is also fully licensed.
    It is not a locale issue.

Attached are the requested log files.

• Here is my logs I think for The assembly game that is not working all other games have been working so far.   I hope this is the logs you need.  Oculus can you tell me how to fix this now?
    We're looking into the issue now. Thanks.
  • martinkyhl77martinkyhl77 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Please help, this has been a issue since day one
  • hello i buy oculus rift cv1 but cant install in windows 8.1 say antivirus blocked and my computer dont have antivirus
  • Hi - sensor is dead. Sensor has been working fine since June but yesterday it suddenly stopped working. Also, yesterday, windows 10 was updated. Please help me out.