New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

BSOD with Oculus Runtime 1.3 + DK2

Hello, 

I am getting a Bug Check BSOD about 3 times a day when using the 1.3.0 Runtime with my DK2. It is definitely the combination of having my DK2 plugged in and Oculus service (Home) running. My computer is fine if my DK2 is unplugged. I have made sure all of my drivers are up to date. I am at a loss... I really need to get this working as it is preventing me from doing my job efficiently. 

My computer specs are as such:
i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz 
16gb DDR4 Memory 
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-K

I have a dump file but it is too large to post here. 

I followed this guide to finding the stack trace but it didn't amount to much: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560244(v=vs.85).aspx

Please let me know what I can do about this or if it is a known issue that will soon be addressed. 

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Do you have an Etron USB controller?
    Can you grab the log files from this thread?
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3
    Also, you can send me a PM with a Dropbox/GoogleDrive link to the dump.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Sure, here are the logs. I have an ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. Thank you for the quick response.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,368 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    I get the exact same thing happening, I keep getting a BSOD, but didn't get chance to note why. Please post a fix here. Same Specs as OP, but I have a Gigabyte Motherboard. I have this usb card (below) in one of my Pci slots, but I don't use it for the DK2, I have the DK2 plugged into the usb ports on my motherboard. Sorry about the big writing I just copied and pasted it.

Inateck Superspeed 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Expansion Card

• Any word on this???
  • deanogurdeanogur Posts: 456
    Nexus 6
    I'm having BSOD issues as well, also Oculus software seems to be getting stuck in loop mode in certain situations where I have to force power-down.  DK2 being used.

Plugging in Saitek X52 Pro kills the sensor and triggers looping. Attempting to uninstall or restarting the software also results in endless looping.

• Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 364
    Trinity
    babiggins said:
    Sure, here are the logs. I have an ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. Thank you for the quick response.
    I believe ASMedia is one of the non-supported USB controllers. That could be your problem, but I don't know why your rig would immediately jump to BSOD instead of the Rift just not working correctly.
  • Greenfire32 said:
    I don't know why your rig would immediately jump to BSOD instead of the Rift just not working correctly.

The Rift works, but it BSODs my computer 3 times a day.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited April 2016
    It likely means your USB controller is one of the incompatible ones.
    Try a different USB port (USB 2.0 may help) or get a PCI-E add-on card.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • babigginsbabiggins Posts: 7
    edited April 2016
    If it was incompatible, would it work flawlessly and only get an issue 3 times a day? Was there any progress on the dump I submitted? Are you implying that everyone on this thread has incompatible USB ports?
  • Also, why would it work fine on my DK2 prior to 1.3 Runtime and then also using a CV1 it works fine and does not blue screen. 

• If its my USB ports then you really should tell people here....
  • justin.davisjustin.davis Posts: 6 Oculus Staff
    A few notes:
    • The dump you sent to @cybereality appears to have been corrupted.  It is a >1GB file, but it appears to be all 0x00's.  Can you please re-upload it?
    • In your most recent log, it looks like you have a CV1 headset plugged in as well as a DK2 sensor (but not the CV1 sensor).  Is that intentional?  It shouldn't trigger a bluescreen, but it struck me as odd.
    • We have found that the ASMedia usb controllers are generally more stable if you run the ASMedia driver (instead of the Microsoft one).  I have no specific reason to believe this will fix this problem, but I think it's a good idea none-the-less (I recommend v1.16.33.1).