cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inadequate GPU

Eshleb
Honored Guest
Hi. I have a rather strong laptop (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) but my GPU is one gen under the recommended one, I have a 960M instead of 970. Will this be sufficient for the Rift? If not, how big do you think the impact will be? Will it pass 30 fps?
Additionally, is there any change I can make under settings and RAM distribution to help reduce said impact? 
Thanks in advance!!
9 REPLIES 9

TheSurgeon
Honored Guest
960M is not one down,more like 3 down.  Mobile GPUs are vastly underpowered compared to their Desktop equivalent.  A normal 960 is much more powerful than yours.  So feel free to try it, but don't keep your expectations high.

3 down?

I suggest the OP takes a look at some benchmarks, and not just this one - research this kind of thing a lot more to satisfy yourself that you're putting your money where it needs to go:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-970/m27242vs2577
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Eshleb
Honored Guest
Oh jesus christ I had no idea this was so weak..... It runs normal 3d games on ultra high settings with ease... I guess I'll have to keep the rift in my room until I buy another, stronger laptop.... :neutral: 

DLFReporter
Expert Protege
Note: High End Gaming and Laptops are two words, which are seldomly compatible.
Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April

RedNax
Protege
Also, most likely it's using Optimus... which will outright prevent you from using your Rift on it...

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/349277/#Comment_349277

deebz1234
Protege
sell the laptop, build an oculus ready pc for $1000.
you shouldnt ever use a laptop for proper gaming...they are more like a novelty toy to play the odd compatible title at mediocre performance levels.

remember, 90fps two separate screens @ whatever resolution...cripples hardware.

Eshleb
Honored Guest
fuck my life i just bought this thing

DLFReporter
Expert Protege
It always helps to ask someone who's in the 'know'. 🙂
Ordered 20min in. -Waiting for April

ZeroThreat
Protege
Good thing you just got it. Easier to return it