Anyone Actually Happy about April 12th Update? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Anyone Actually Happy about April 12th Update?

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,384 Valuable Player
edited April 2016 in General
I got the mail and frankly I've got more info than I had before. Previously the only info I had was an estimated May shipment but at least now I have an exact shipping period which if Oculus can stick to is all good. (I am UK 32 btw).

My shipping is now 30th May - 9th June. Which means at least I now know and can relax. On the flip side my Vive order is crap. It's a vague April estimated with no actual date, my CC was charged then returned, the customer services have no info other than it will be charged again once it's shipping. 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Well, I am glad to have an actualy shipping estimate...yes. Unfortunately once again the word "estimate" is in there.

On the other side: I'm pissed off that my currently estimated shipping date is more than two months behind the original date - also at the lack of information given by Oculus through this whole process (starting from way before the preoder actually began) and at the lies, bullshit and half-truths told to us by Palmer and his "minions".

Luckily for them they have the best product on the market at this point so sadly they'll get away with it.
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
  • JakemanOculusJakemanOculus Posts: 511
    Neo
    I'm indifferent.  My shipping window is tightened up.  No payment yet.

This just gives me more time to hope that Pascal starts shipping.  I will be buying the best video card before my Rift arrives.  Hopefully it's a Pascal.
  • TriskTrisk Posts: 65

Luckily for them they have the best product on the market at this point so sadly they'll get away with it.
    Uh, No. Vive's strengths are a whole new world in VR, CV1 is just iterative. I would have agreed with you until I got my Vive. Now there's no question for me that it's better.
    Alienware 17 R3 w/ 2160p monitor
    Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, Boost @ 3.5GHz
    16GB RAM, 64 bit Win10
    Nvidia GeForce 980ti
    DK1, DK2, CV1 order w/in 30 sec. of sale. Vive order w/ in 5 min. of sale. PSVR soon.
    Fanatec Clubsport V2 wheel, pedals and shifter
  • noiselocknoiselock Posts: 11
    anyone know delivery time for Vive if I order today? can't find anywhere only that it's in stock.
  • NickytheHuttNickytheHutt Posts: 166
    Art3mis
    Vive is estimated "June" on the pre-order check out page. 
  • vrmowervrmower Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    I'm happy.  Waiting to see what GPU lineup looks like anyway - delay gives more time to decide whether to go /w rift.
  • OchulusOchulus Posts: 2
    NerveGear

My shipment was marked for April, and now I find myself in the same boat, end of May, 1st week in June???

Seriously?

I would have accepted end of April but this is ridiculous, I would be very pleased to have a rep from Oculus contact me to discuss, I am looking at potentially 2 months to 10 weeks of a delay now?

Ridiculous

• ChassitChassit Posts: 178
    Art3mis
    Palmer Luckey is happy. He promised an update and made an update. Now he comes off clean.
  • DarkshadeDarkshade Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Very happy - My Rift is due to arrive tomorrow.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,782 Valuable Player
    Happy!? no but not furious / gutted either.  I have gone from april to 23rd May/2nd of june window... its a month delay, not massive in the grand scheme (so long as they stick to it)

it helps thay my mate has offered to loan me his DK2 for a weekend to get another VR fix though!.

AS i said in another post, I am kind of hoping oculus do a little something something for all delayed rift pre-orders when it comes to getting the touch pack.

Well i can hope ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    I think we can all see that the launch has been a massive clusterflick. We can only speculate, and it's because of a lack of transparency - we haven't been given enough information early on, and now that we do have information, it's not detailed enough for some. Consider the points below however, and perhaps we can cut Oculus some slack?
    • Oculus were caught by surprise. The lack of information is because they had no idea how long things would take to resolve (and possibly still don't).
    • One of Oculus' partners are at fault. Someone besides Oculus dropped the ball, but as per their agreement, Oculus isn't able to go public with this information. Any information regarding why would fall in this category, so Oculus has to stay silent and grin and bear the PR consequences.
    • It's all bad news and Oculus has been desperately trying to turn it into good news. Unfortunately, they weren't able to resolve things the way they wanted to, so now they have are forced to deliver the bad news.
    • No matter what they say or what they do, it's not going to help. It's not going to fix the issue. The free shipping was their best attempt at smoothing things over, but it won't be enough.
    • Facebook lawyers have this on lockdown and no one wants to be the face of the bad news anyway.
    I hope one day we get the full story, but it probably won't be for quite some time.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,384 Valuable Player
    Darkshade said:
    You just couldn't help yourself could you.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RikkTheGaijinRikkTheGaijin Posts: 399
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    I'm not "happy" since I went from April to mid/end May, but at least now I have an actual time frame. Life goes on, we have a CV1 in my company, I know exactly what I'm getting, so no false expectation here.
    Obviously, if Oculus lied about today's update and my order will be pushed back again, then I will be really pissed. 
  • UrbanLogicGamesUrbanLogicGames Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Before the update I was seeing a lot of 'I can take a delay I just want to know!' Now I'm seeing a lot of 'OMG delay WTF!' Probably a different group of people, but still frustrating to see.

I can totally understand people being unhappy with the delay, but people saying communication is still not good enough is a bit puzzling. Most pre-orders now have a 10-day window which is way better than what they had before. Oculus obviously can't be any more precise than that without potentially breaking even more hearts.

Kickstarter backers are still in the dark a bit, but it seems like Oculus is trickling them out among the pre-orders, which seems the fairest way to do it.

*shrug*
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 587
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016

My shipping is now 30th May - 9th June. Which means at least I now know and can relax. On the flip side my Vive order is crap. It's a vague April estimated with no actual date, my CC was charged then returned, the customer services have no info other than it will be charged again once it's shipping. 

I can't say I'm happy - it seems that delay is a bit longer that I though it will be but of course a narrow shipping window is definitely a big plus. I especially feel bad for people that managed to get March estimate but were still pushed all the way to early May. Frankly, for a commercial launch - that's unacceptable.

As for Vive ...well I share the same sentiments ;) At the current rate they are shipping their claim seems totally impossible. ("If your order confirmation says you'll get it in April, you'll get it in April"). But we'll wait and see.

• philterinophilterino Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ive played all the stuff on oculus home on DK2 so happy enough to wait now till end may start of june (31) for new content GPU anouncements etc.
  • metros269metros269 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2016
    What pisses me off is that I pre-ordered roughly 9 minutes in and got a confirmation for end of March, first week of ApriI, like a lot of others are being delayed to end of May, first week of June, about 2 month delay!  Who gives a shit about the people who pre-ordered and actually invested money on it as long as all the reviewers get their most likely free copy (I've seen reviews from a few kids I never even heard of on you tube!)  I built a new pc with the expectance of at least end of April, early May where I could've waited two months and either got newer parts or same parts cheaper.  I think that they knew about this early on but they wanted to beat HTC to the punch as far as a release window and get the hype started.  I was willing to wait patiently and never gave the Vive a serious thought but I just placed an order for it and will cancel this when I get shipping confirmation with the high hopes that the ship my oculus a lot earlier (wishfull thinking I know.)
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 534
    Neo
    Can't say I'm very pleased either. I've gone from an April window, as I put the order in on day one on the 6th of Jan, and I've now got a mid June date sometime between the 13th and 23rd or thereabouts. Another 2 months or more wait basically. So much for getting in early.
    Well there's not a lot I can do about it, but no I'm not a happy chappy.
  • rilotrilot Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    I've got from March to mid May. Think I'm just going to cancel to be honest. I've got the Vive now and was hoping to try them out against eachother. I don't really see the point now.
  • DarkshadeDarkshade Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Darkshade said:
    You just couldn't help yourself could you.
    To be honest, not really. 
    Although if we were to be fair, the thread shouldn't only contain negative reactions.
  • kinnonkkinnonk Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    *sigh* - was a UK 32 with a est ship date of April/May - Now 20-30th June - not very impressed is being mild... 

• notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    In a way, I'm happy. I no longer trust Oculus to deliver, so it's finally made the decision of Vive vs Rift a lot easier.
  • AHeckmanAHeckman Posts: 214
    Art3mis
    I am happy that we got something, and at least a window, but I am not happy with the content of it.  but to be fair this was basically a lose/lose situation
  • lamour42lamour42 Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Actually, I am happy. Not happy about that I will get my order end of June, but happy that I do no longer have to watch here and on reddit every hour for news. Things will slow down now for 11 weeks.

In the end I think this will help sell the VR story. The Rift will stay a desired and rare product for months. Just like with the PS4. The Rift will have this notion of exclusiveness for a long time.
    you guys realise that this is an estimated date again.No one can say for sure that we'll get anything soon.....
  • kinnonkkinnonk Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hmm - dropped over £1k into a new PC build and it's just gonna sit there until June playing 'The Division'  - I'll probably need to build a new one by the time I get my rift :-)   In all seriousness though, it's pretty shabby - maybe it's not Oculus' fault, but you'd think they'd have contingency plans in place etc. etc.    Overall not very pleased at all - certainly not a good way to attract/retain customers - it's no wonder they're paying for shipping ... VR beginning to sound like 'Virtual Rift'
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,768
    Project 2501
    My March order, 6min01s 25er, was push back to April 18th to the 28th so it's not that bad for thankfully, if it was push back to May I would be out but April I can live with it.
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
    null
    They lost all my support!! unless they come up with a really good cv2 and I mean above all the rest I'll be out on next generation of headsets. For now I just regret not wanting for the Vive
  • Sloeri007Sloeri007 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Well, don't think anyone is happy with a delay, but i'm happy that we got informed now, and with an updated estimated shipping date.
    it will not make me change my mind on which HMD i'm getting. i have pre-ordered the Rift, and i'm sticking to it ;)

these things can happen, it is not the end of the world. it is a few more weeks after many years of development.
  • mwoodymwoody Posts: 11
    I'm certainly happy.  I, uh, splurged a little on a LIFX setup, and this Oculus update means it won't get charged to my card this month.  :smile: In all seriousness, though, they know this was a screwup, and they wouldn't have done it if they had a choice.  They'd have been better served by communicating better throughout, though, following the modern kickstarter method of communication.  I've found that people will forgive anything if you establish a pattern of constant communication such that they see that you've done everything you can.