New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The final cut

notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
Wintermute

Someone pinched the 'so long and thanks for all the fish' header that I wanted to use, so this will have to do!

Thought about this for a couple of hours and I'll probably be cancelling my Rift when I get home from work. The email and new delivery date (love the way they say your date 'may' be later than the original - I bet not one person has got an earlier date!) is pretty much what I expected, but I wanted to give them a chance to prove me wrong. Which they blew. Not even a word of apology in the email.

My order has gone from March shipping to mid-late May. And, given the recent track record of moving the dates, I have no confidence whatsoever that Oculus can meet the May date. Maybe they'll be back on track by then, maybe not, but the amount of bullshit they've fed us has exhausted my patience.

Even if, by some miracle, I do get my Rift in May, what about Touch? Does anyone really believe it'll still be launching this year? Oculus are going to be shipping pre-orders until at least August. They also have to get stocks ready for those who have ordered bundles. Not to mention getting supplies of Rift into stores. If Touch is available as anything more than a 'pre-order' (how I wish there was a sarcasm button to use on those two words) this side of 2017, I'll eat my hat.

I think Rift Is potentially the better HMD. But I'm not going to give £500 of my hard earned money to a company who can't be honest with me. Anyone remember Palmer Luckey posting just before the launch (think it was on Reddit or Twitter) asking for trust? Trust is a two way thing. And I no longer trust Oculus.

Tl;dr

One too many fuckups from Oculus. I'm outta here.

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,044 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    Oh noes not another one of these "I'm cancelling threads".  

At least you didn't mention getting a Vive instead. Bravo!

Only Joking.

On a serious note sock it to the man notsram, I believe people should be vocal about their frustrations because Oculus have got to be listening and learning from this.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute

Yeah, I agree. Oculus may not be commenting, but you can guarantee they're watching here/reddit/twitter etc.

Although, I'm not sure how much they'll actually learn...

• sjandsjand Posts: 15
    To be perfectly honest, at this point in the game I can't blame people for cancelling. It was crazy when the orders had been delayed by like a week or two and we were seeing people throw their toys out of the pram, but now we're talking about delays running into months and that's not how consumers expect to be treated ('early adopters' are still consumers, set apart from DK1/2 'investors' as far as I'm concerned). If I weren't in the highly fortunate position I find myself in regarding my order status, I'd likely be cancelling my order too.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,558 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

ah notsram, you're one of my litmus tests... I kindred spirit even... well you know what I mean.

Anyway, i have a feeling if you cancel you won't be the only one by any means. Oculus could lose out to the competition in a big way unless something major hapens... and quick. If I was Oculus, I'd announce free Touch for all pre-orders by way of an apology.

I'm available for company crisis consultaion at any time by the way

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.719)
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Close the door on you way out...
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    I also agree with your reservations about Touch. Maybe they are building them now to make sure that come release day there are enough for people to have day 1 without the kind of delays we're seeing now. However, I am not filled with a glowing confidence and we could see the same thing happening again which I'm sure would infuriate many people. Whilst my delay isn't that bad compared to others, I do feel the pain.

Fingers crossed Oculus offer some sort of recompense such as a free game, or discount on Touch (although discount on Touch is rubbish because they could just up the price to cover the discount much like they do in supermarkets).

If I was Oculus, I'd announce free Touch for all pre-orders by way of an apology.

I'm available for company crisis consultaion at any time by the way

Damn dude, living up to your namesake. Thank god you're not in charge at Oculus. <3

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,558 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

i'd run it worse? are you really saying that? my sister has a pet spanniel who could run it..... oh never mind

actually the more i think about it, Facebook can afford to announce free Touch's much more than they can afford to lose out to the competition, especially if they plan to use Home as a gateway for social VR

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.719)
    Wintermute
    I would... but I'm one of a very large queue.

Dunno if you follow Reddit, but the complaints on here are miniscule compared to on there.

Wintermute
    I also agree with your reservations about Touch. Maybe they are building them now to make sure that come release day there are enough for people to have day 1 without the kind of delays we're seeing now. However, I am not filled with a glowing confidence and we could see the same thing happening again which I'm sure would infuriate many people. Whilst my delay isn't that bad compared to others, I do feel the pain.

Fingers crossed Oculus offer some sort of recompense such as a free game, or discount on Touch (although discount on Touch is rubbish because they could just up the price to cover the discount much like they do in supermarkets).
    They're way behind on Rift. I'd very much doubt they're even thinking about Touch atm. And that's assuming Touch is actually finished, of course, and in a state for them to start building.
    Wintermute

i'd run it worse? are you really saying that? my sister has a pet spanniel who could run it..... oh never mind

I agree with you 100%. It's hard to imagine how anyone could have run this much worse.

ah notsram, you're one of my litmus tests... I kindred spirit even... well you know what I mean.

Anyway, i have a feeling if you cancel you won't be the only one by any means. Oculus could lose out to the competition in a big way unless something major hapens... and quick. If I was Oculus, I'd announce free Touch for all pre-orders by way of an apology.

Yeah, I know what you mean :)

And I most certainly am not the only one. Dunno if you've looked on Reddit, but the amount of pissed off people on there is kind of scary.

I'm not pissed off - more disappointed than anything. My cancellation is going to be on principle rather than because of all the delays. If Oculus had been more open about all this, I'd probably have stuck with them, but it's now obvious that, for whatever reason, at least what some of the little they've told us has been a pack of lies. I'm not prepared to buy from a company that can't be honest with me.

I'm also pretty sure that the new delivery dates they've given are best case scenario. I fully expect these dates to slip too. Oculus are in damage limitation mode now. They're not going to give worst case dates out, they're going to minimise the shitstorm by giving the earliest dates they feel they can possibly manage.

Even after all this mess, I'm still reluctant to cancel. I do feel that Rift plus Touch will probably be the best system. But it's going to be Vive for me now.

• omgpablo37omgpablo37 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I have been in the back ground I was early in the race at pre-order. March date given now after 4 months I get early late June. I ordered a Vive this morning cause I just want to try VR for the first time and I have been gaming all my life now at 50 my patience are gone, Vive took my money and said I would have it June 1 that's all I ask for. I have never been to any other web site for VR but here trust is now gone.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    so are you already in the queue for vive? if so I "get" it and if i could get a vive in April i would be tempted to do the same....... however have you seen the vive estimated dates now?  combine that with the fact that HTC actually CHARGED a whole load of people with no intention of shipping out (and eventually refunding), and not to mention the cancelled orders, then I fear if you are only just getting on the vive bandwagon you may be going from frying pan to fire.

I actually want people to moan and complain and cancel... the more it happens the more oculus are likely to give more sweetners out to stay the course... not to mention every order cancelled infront ofme pushes me up the queue ;)

I gotta admit, i hope this new delivery window is honest... I would hate for it to turn out to me another "ballpark" slot, which is ultimately pushed again (though if they can beat it and get out sooner then more the better)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Wintermute

Yeah, I pre-ordered Vive in the middle of March, when I first started to suspect that something was wrong at Oculus. If nothing slips, it'll be arriving the first week in May. I'd imagine the current VIve shipping dates are a reflection of the amount of people who have cancelled their Rift and jumped ship.

If you want moans and complaints, check out the Oculus Reddit. There are people going ballistic on there.

I don't think Oculus will give any more sweeteners. If they were going to, they would have done so with this email.

• V-WalkerV-Walker Posts: 108
    edited April 2016

Die hard fanboy to the end. Living up to YOUR name I see. :wink: 
  • V-WalkerV-Walker Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    so are you already in the queue for vive? if so I "get" it and if i could get a vive in April i would be tempted to do the same....... however have you seen the vive estimated dates now?  combine that with the fact that HTC actually CHARGED a whole load of people with no intention of shipping out (and eventually refunding), and not to mention the cancelled orders, then I fear if you are only just getting on the vive bandwagon you may be going from frying pan to fire.

Wrong!

Nobody was 'charged' they had pending fund on their account but the money wasn't taken. There was a blip. It's been five days. Shipping has now re-commenced in order. Considering they launched after Rift that's pretty good in my book.

HTC has had some problems but they are nothing like this clusterfuck run by Oculus. Don't let the fanboyism blind you.

No way is he getting into the fire. Aside from anything else he's getting proper controls sooner rather than later, a better display [ source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ef4cq/alan_yates_talks_about_vive_and_rift/ + majority of independent reviews from users of both and websites ]and a more open company. Once he gets vive he can be done with the BS of waiting games (for touch) and can start enjoying VR again, like myself.

• RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    notsram said:

Someone pinched the 'so long and thanks for all the fish' header that I wanted to use, so this will have to do!

Thought about this for a couple of hours and I'll probably be cancelling my Rift when I get home from work. The email and new delivery date (love the way they say your date 'may' be later than the original - I bet not one person has got an earlier date!) is pretty much what I expected, but I wanted to give them a chance to prove me wrong. Which they blew. Not even a word of apology in the email.

My order has gone from March shipping to mid-late May. And, given the recent track record of moving the dates, I have no confidence whatsoever that Oculus can meet the May date. Maybe they'll be back on track by then, maybe not, but the amount of bullshit they've fed us has exhausted my patience.

Even if, by some miracle, I do get my Rift in May, what about Touch? Does anyone really believe it'll still be launching this year? Oculus are going to be shipping pre-orders until at least August. They also have to get stocks ready for those who have ordered bundles. Not to mention getting supplies of Rift into stores. If Touch is available as anything more than a 'pre-order' (how I wish there was a sarcasm button to use on those two words) this side of 2017, I'll eat my hat.

I think Rift Is potentially the better HMD. But I'm not going to give £500 of my hard earned money to a company who can't be honest with me. Anyone remember Palmer Luckey posting just before the launch (think it was on Reddit or Twitter) asking for trust? Trust is a two way thing. And I no longer trust Oculus.

Tl;dr

One too many fuckups from Oculus. I'm outta here.

• Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    null
    How is that coment 'fanboy'?
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • RirtualVealityRirtualVeality Posts: 737
    Nexus 6
    ...these forums are going to be so incredibly entertaining for the next couple of weeks!  I'm laughing to tears at these posts!  :D
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    I understand your feeling @notsram, but listen, you order is already placed and coming in end May, your Vive is coming 1st week May, Im in the same boat, get out of forums for a while mate you need some fresh up, play with the Vive until rifts arrives, Im sure the Rift is better but at last you can compare both and loser goes to ebay, thats what Im going to do, try to finish some games you have in 2D like I do with The Witcher 3, helps to kill some time until the "big" day. 

Dont listen to the haters, I understand you 100%, think twice! 
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    V-Walker said:

Don't let the fanboyism blind you.
    hello pot, meet kettle, my how black you are!!
    I am a VR fanboy, not a Rift OR a Vive fanboy, and I make no claims as to which HMD is better (because I do not know which is better)... we will not know for sure till touch is out, because right now, Vive is complete, rift is not...

but I myself just went onto the vive site with a view to pre-ordering, and the order estimate is JUNE, that was what i meant by frying pan and fire, however he responded that he already has his order in, so that is covered.
    I am not saying you do not make valid points sometimes.. but your vitriol and clear bias devalues any otherwise sound points you may make.  Even if Rift does turn out to be objectively on a par with vive I wager there is no chance you could bring yourself to accept it such is your bias.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Wintermute

Just to clarify, I'm not cancelling out of anger.

I'm cancelling mainly due to the way Oculus are treating their customers. It's now obvious that they've lied to us and I'm not prepared to condone their lying by giving them my money.

I'm also cancelling simply because I always said that I'd keep my order for whichever HMD I get first. That will now certainly be Vive.

• LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    I ordered in early March and my updated delivery estimate is late July. So.. if the Vive is going to be able to deliver before that, and you're on the fence, then the Vive seems like a good alternative.

I do feel bad for Oculus. This was their big release party, and it sucks to have a wrench thrown in their plans by some supply issue. I don't know if they were operating on a just in time scenario. The risks of that are obvious, much more so if you have a very important milestone you need to be ready for. In that case, having a buffer would have been a good idea. Might be that they had to set that date because of HTC/Valve breathing down their necks. I wonder if they had competition for parts (or manufacturing resources)?

In the end, the consumer has to do what's best for them. Me, I'll wait patiently for the Rift. More of the software/driver issues will be sorted by then, Pascal/Polaris will be out, and there will be more games available.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

This message was posted by "TheTwistgibber" on reddit.
    I think it should have been attached to the April 12th email, not just posted to reddit.
    I'm not a fan of the twitter/reddit communication being done by Oculus.

I thought it was worth posting here but I don't expect it to change your mind notsram.  I understand your frustration.

"Hello everyone,
    As there is quite a bit of confusion swirling around, I want to make sure that we clarify a few things about failed payment, order processing and shipping estimates in a single location. I've posted in a number of threads, and as the information isn't cascading well, I hope this centralized post will clear up some of that confusion.

Payment Failures
    After reviewing the payment failures, a LARGE number of them are due to insufficient funds or blocks enabled by the banking institution tied to the payment instrument. These can lead to delays as this will result in your order being placed on a payment hold. We cannot ship your Rift until we auth and capture the full payment. Please make sure that you have sufficient funds available on either your credit card or PayPal, and reach out to the associated banking institution to make sure that there are no special fraud holds or other reasons why they may block the payment.

Order Processing
    If your payment fails for any reason, your order will be placed on a payment hold. If you updated any of your order information, whether that be shipping or payment, your order will be placed on hold as there are a number of checks on the new information that must be completed before the hold can be released. If we tried to pull the funds and were unsuccessful, YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR PLACE IN THE QUEUE. Once the information is updated and the holds are released, your order will attempt to be processed in the subsequent batch for your region. If it fails again, the same process applies. This said, if your payment fails, your order is skipped for the current batch as we must proceed with the successful orders. Each region does not ship every day as it is dependent on having stock in the warehouse. We are shipping globally, and ship as soon as product is kitted and ready to be assigned to orders.
    Shipping Estimates for Processing Orders
    If we have either already tried to pull the funds and were unsuccessful, or we authorized the full amount on your payment instrument and you are in processing, IGNORE YOUR SHIPPING ESTIMATE ON YOUR ORDER HISTORY. The shipping estimate on that page is not dynamic and will not change based on order status. We could be a bit ahead of schedule for your specific order.

I won't be answering specific order inquiries on this thread as I don't want this to turn into an AMA. If there is general confusion about anything above, I will work to clear that up.

We're as frustrated about the delays as all of you. Yes, I sincerely apologize for my initial comment on the 1-3 weeks email. Unfortunately the situation changed quickly and estimates were modified, hence the extra time we needed for the April 11th update (which was initially planned for the 12th). There was no intentional deception, and when I found out, I was heartbroken. Truth.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. For those that are upset, I can empathize, and while I can ask for more patience, I know that is a tall order. Everyone is really working around the clock here to make this right. The road to consumer VR has been long, but it is worth the wait. That I promise. Whatever headset you choose, just know that VR is real, it is here, and we're all working hard to bring quality VR experiences to the masses."
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • FingerMcPokeyeFingerMcPokeye Posts: 240
    Nexus 6
    DK1, DK2, CV1  .... if you haven't gone to Costco to get a pallet of lube for the upcoming Touch pre-order, you best do so.
  • OccUpiedOccUpied Posts: 112
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    Zoomie said:

I think it should have been attached to the April 12th email, not just posted to reddit.

I thought it was worth posting here but I don't expect it to change your mind notsram.  I understand your frustration.

"Hello everyone,
    As there is quite a bit of confusion swirling around, I want to make sure that we clarify a few things about failed payment, order processing and shipping estimates in a single location. I've posted in a number of threads, and as the information isn't cascading well, I hope this centralized post will clear up some of that confusion.

Payment Failures
    After reviewing the payment failures, a LARGE number of them are due to insufficient funds or blocks enabled by the banking institution tied to the payment instrument. These can lead to delays as this will result in your order being placed on a payment hold. We cannot ship your Rift until we auth and capture the full payment. Please make sure that you have sufficient funds available on either your credit card or PayPal, and reach out to the associated banking institution to make sure that there are no special fraud holds or other reasons why they may block the payment.

Order Processing
    If your payment fails for any reason, your order will be placed on a payment hold. If you updated any of your order information, whether that be shipping or payment, your order will be placed on hold as there are a number of checks on the new information that must be completed before the hold can be released. If we tried to pull the funds and were unsuccessful, YOU DO NOT LOSE YOUR PLACE IN THE QUEUE. Once the information is updated and the holds are released, your order will attempt to be processed in the subsequent batch for your region. If it fails again, the same process applies. This said, if your payment fails, your order is skipped for the current batch as we must proceed with the successful orders. Each region does not ship every day as it is dependent on having stock in the warehouse. We are shipping globally, and ship as soon as product is kitted and ready to be assigned to orders.
    If we have either already tried to pull the funds and were unsuccessful, or we authorized the full amount on your payment instrument and you are in processing, IGNORE YOUR SHIPPING ESTIMATE ON YOUR ORDER HISTORY. The shipping estimate on that page is not dynamic and will not change based on order status. We could be a bit ahead of schedule for your specific order.

I won't be answering specific order inquiries on this thread as I don't want this to turn into an AMA. If there is general confusion about anything above, I will work to clear that up.

We're as frustrated about the delays as all of you. Yes, I sincerely apologize for my initial comment on the 1-3 weeks email. Unfortunately the situation changed quickly and estimates were modified, hence the extra time we needed for the April 11th update (which was initially planned for the 12th). There was no intentional deception, and when I found out, I was heartbroken. Truth.

Thanks for hanging in there with us. For those that are upset, I can empathize, and while I can ask for more patience, I know that is a tall order. Everyone is really working around the clock here to make this right. The road to consumer VR has been long, but it is worth the wait. That I promise. Whatever headset you choose, just know that VR is real, it is here, and we're all working hard to bring quality VR experiences to the masses."

Agreed.. why are they not posting things like this in their own forums. Man...if Obama had a company...
    Wintermute
    Zoomie said:

"Hello everyone,

Payment Failures

Order Processing

Thanks Zoomie,

I've actually already seen it and commented (nicely!) on Reddit. The Twistgibber is pretty much the only Oculus staffer who actually seems to want to communicate with us rather than just post cryptic and/or meaningless messages.

And yeah, it won't change my mind. As I've previously said, I haven't cancelled out of anger at the delays. I've cancelled partly because I always said I'd go with which ever HMD ships first (which will now definitely be Vive), but mostly because it's obvious to me that Oculus have, at best, been economical with the truth. I simply don't trust them any more and don't feel that they deserve my money. I fully expect further delays to be announced at some point and I very much doubt whether Touch will be anything more than a pre-order pipe dream for the foreseeable future.

Oh, and I totally agree that messages like that should be posted on their own forum! :)