New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

No HDMI connection - Haven't successfully seen it work yet

nvts8anvts8a Posts: 11
edited April 2016 in Support
Seems like I'm currently unique with my problem I've encountered so I'm starting a new discussion:

Specs:
i7-4930K
980Ti (Version 364.72)
Inateck 4-Port USB 3.0
Consumer Rift (not DK#, Firmware 707)
Occulus App (Version 1.3.1)

I plug in my sensor and headset USB successfully (Connected) but continue to get "No HDMI connection". There are many people who seem to have a similar problem but often account that it was at one point it was working, then it stopped, but I have yet to be able use mine at all. All I get is the "No HDMI connection" error.

I have my Monitor, a UltraWide LG, plugged up DVI, tried both furthest and closest port, only one HDMI on my card I'm attempting to plug the Rift into. Using recommended Inateck USB card with both devices plugged into it, don't seem to have a problem there.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Comments

• karloykarloy Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I have the same problem with a very similar hardware. I tried a lot - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fu441/hdmi_error_during_setup_980_ti_sli/

Did you get it to work? 
  • nvts8anvts8a Posts: 11
    karloy said:
    I have the same problem with a very similar hardware. I tried a lot - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4fu441/hdmi_error_during_setup_980_ti_sli/

Did you get it to work? 
    Naw, not yet, have had an open support ticket with them for about week. They asked me a bunch of questions to make sure I had everything plugged in right and had some possible conflicting software uninstalled. Now they're taking a look at some logs and config files they asked for. I'll let you know if they RMA it or something, but I'd probably open the ticket as soon as possible. They seem to be taking a while right now.
    Brain Burst
    Exactly the same here, asked a few questions, then for the logs.  
    edited April 2016
    Just got a response earlier today, they're sending me out a new HDMI/USB Cable that attaches to the headset, and I'm sending mine back in hopes that it is the problem. We'll see.
  • beastygtbeastygt Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I read this one guy had this issue...he plugged his hdmi into the onboard mobo hdmi slot cos he was out of ideas, it didn't work, but after he plugged it back into the gfx card, it worked...it was something to do with his onboard gfx hdmi causing a conflict...might be worth a try...also if you can access the bios and turn off the onboard gfx that might help.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
    Make sure the cable is connected good on the headset side. You can check this by removing the foam bracket and looking on the top left of the inside of the headset. Pull the cord out and plug it in tightly.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    beastygt said:
    I read this one guy had this issue...he plugged his hdmi into the onboard mobo hdmi slot cos he was out of ideas, it didn't work, but after he plugged it back into the gfx card, it worked...it was something to do with his onboard gfx hdmi causing a conflict...might be worth a try...also if you can access the bios and turn off the onboard gfx that might help.
    Thanks for the idea, I currently don't have an on-board HDMI, but worth noting.
    Make sure the cable is connected good on the headset side. You can check this by removing the foam bracket and looking on the top left of the inside of the headset. Pull the cord out and plug it in tightly.
    Thanks for the bump! They had me try that in the ticket, I was able to verify that the cable was plugged in.
    NerveGear
    Have you tried looking at the device manager and viewing hidden devices? I haven't got my rift yet but I just discovered I have a hidden gtx 780 driver package that may need to be uninstalled...could be worth a look there.
    beastygt said:
    Have you tried looking at the device manager and viewing hidden devices? I haven't got my rift yet but I just discovered I have a hidden gtx 780 driver package that may need to be uninstalled...could be worth a look there.
    I'm gonna try that. I just came from a 2x 690 SLI setup that might have something funky leftover. Thanks.

nvts8a said:
    beastygt said:
    I'm gonna try that. I just came from a 2x 690 SLI setup that might have something funky leftover. Thanks.
    No go on this, at least for me. Didn't see anything interesting in the Hidden Devices.

But to just to try it out, I also used http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html, uninstalled the current driver, then preformed a new clean install with 364.72. No go either.
    Brain Burst
    All exactly the same for me, same CPU with the only difference that I have 980 TI SLI - tried all the same steps. 
    karloy said:
    All exactly the same for me, same CPU with the only difference that I have 980 TI SLI - tried all the same steps. 
    I'm just curious, what brand and model are you running? I've got a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB - G1 Gaming OC Edition.

Long shot, wonder if it has something to do with a certain make/model.
    Brain Burst
    I have 2x EVGA 980 TI OC. I've seen one report with the 980 as well - https://forums.oculus.com/developer/discussion/34381/no-hdmi-connection-error-message-on-cv1
    NerveGear
    edited April 2016
    what connection does the rift take? Is it mini hdmi or is it a custom one?  Also, have you tried using an adapter for the hdmi? I read somewhere someone tried using a HDMI to dvi and it started working...not sure why that would make a difference but worth a try.
    Brain Burst
    Yes, I tried the DVI to HDMI adapter that comes with the DK2. People reported it's solving some of the connection issues, but not for me. The Rift has a custom cable, combining USB and HDMI. 
    Brain Burst
    I am really thinking this is not a consumer product. If it completely breaks likes this, it shouldn't take days for some to respond via Zendesk, but you should be able to call and get a replacement. 
  • TL;DR: Try installing (without uninstalling) this Nvidia driver package (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/100862) on top of your existing 364.72 install. I had Oculus Home open at the time of the install and on the Devices settings page just watching the No HDMI connection change. After the install completes, for me the monitors all blink out and then return and that's when the Rift starts working again.

I have been having a similar issue with the no HDMI connection error. Interestingly I also have a Ultrawide monitor (Two Dell u3415w)

It just started on Friday after rebooting the PC. I ran through quite a battery of ideas in order to try to resolve it. Nothing worked, and also nothing seemed to have changed. 

I won't bore you all with the details, but in the process one of the things I tried was uninstalling the Nvidia drivers. After the reboot, the previous drivers installed themselves and the Rift returned to life. Further reboots would kill the Rift again, but each time I kept uninstalling the drivers and a older version would reinstall following a reboot and the Rift would connect again.

Ultimately, I restored a Veeam backup from Thursday AM, and this time just reinstalled on top the current Nvidia drivers. The rift worked! It's still working now and as of writing, I haven't rebooted yet because I plan to do some DEMOing this weekend so I don't need the hassle. This method worked multiple times. Please try it if you are seeing the No HDMI connection error! I hope it works for others and it in turn can help Oculus fix what appears to me to be some kinda software and/or driver glitch.
    TL;DR: Try installing (without uninstalling) this Nvidia driver package (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/100862) on top of your existing 364.72 install.
    Gave it a shot, no go for me. Thanks for the idea.

I've noticed that generally many people have at one point seen their Rift work to some extent, like you before rebooting. Meaning that the problem probably exists some where in software. I currently have not been able to get it to work at all, just "No HDMI Connected" at all times, unusual as far as I've seen.

Might just be a hardware anomaly? Just wished they'd bump the ticket with new details. They asked for a Serial Number last, say their gonna send out a new part with a return label but haven't heard back yet.
  • nvts8a said:
    TL;DR: Try installing (without uninstalling) this Nvidia driver package (http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/100862) on top of your existing 364.72 install.
    Gave it a shot, no go for me. Thanks for the idea.

I've noticed that generally many people have at one point seen their Rift work to some extent, like you before rebooting. Meaning that the problem probably exists some where in software. I currently have not been able to get it to work at all, just "No HDMI Connected" at all times, unusual as far as I've seen.

Might just be a hardware anomaly? Just wished they'd bump the ticket with new details. They asked for a Serial Number last, say their gonna send out a new part with a return label but haven't heard back yet.
    Shoot.. I was hopeful for you! Perhaps it is truly a cable issue on yours, since you've never seen it work.
    Brain Burst
    Also you can't see anywhere else if the Rift is connected to HDMI. In the old DK2 software, it at least showed up as display.
  • yayaykenyayayken Posts: 14
    I have the same problem, my rift bundle just came (alienware R3). Is there  a solution now? or is there  a workaround for it to work. PLease let me know.

Thanks,
    Hey all, they sent out a new headset cable, and everything works fine now.

I hadn't noticed before but after comparing the two cables, my original one seems to be missing some metal teeth? The new one has all of it's teeth in all available slots.

Double check for that and if it looks weird open a ticket.
  • yayaykenyayayken Posts: 14
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the info.
    yayayken said:
    nvts8a said:
    Hey all, they sent out a new headset cable, and everything works fine now.

I hadn't noticed before but after comparing the two cables, my original one seems to be missing some metal teeth? The new one has all of it's teeth in all available slots.

Double check for that and if it looks weird open a ticket.
    Did you request a new cable? who did you contact? How long did it take from the request to you receiving the new cable?.
    You can submit a help ticket here: https://tickets.oculus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and looking back at this thread, it took about 9 days from opening the ticket and receiving support to the cable being on my porch. After they confirmed by details, Serial Number and Address, they seemed to overnight it or two day it which was nice.
    Brain Burst
    This is my cable, how does this compares to your broken / new one? Oculus support looked at it, and said it looks fine...
  • Nobbs66Nobbs66 Posts: 722 Poster of the Week
    Yeah, looks like some cables may have qc issues.glad you got yours sorted
    i7 5820K @ 4.4ghz | R9 Fury Tri X @ 1150mhz | 16GB DDR4 2133mhz
  • hapklaarhapklaar Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited April 2016
    Argh. Just got my CV1 and also same issue > No HDMI Connection whereas the DK2 works fine ont that same port...

EDIT: just checked the HDMI side of the cable and it looks like not all the pins are straight. Guessing this is the cause.
    edited April 2016
    hapklaar said:
    EDIT: just checked the HDMI side of the cable and it looks like not all the pins are straight. Guessing this is the cause.
    karloy said:
    This is my cable, how does this compares to your broken / new one? Oculus support looked at it, and said it looks fine...
    Yeah karloy, my old one looked a lot like that, where you can't really see the longer half's pins? Looked like they were missing.

But my new working one looks like this, very easy to see, straight, pins:

EDIT: New photo instead of the giant potato quality one
    Brain Burst
    Thanks nvts8a, let me take this back to Oculus support, I see the long side pins are shifted back. Unfortunately they went silent on me, which is frustrating, 
  • funknerrawfunknerraw Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yeah I am having an issue where it kept losing connection and reconnecting, and it kept happening more and more frequently. I checked out the HDMI end of the cable and a couple of the pins are bent and pushed in. Definitely looks damaged. I've opened a support ticket which has been initially responded to, but I hope it doesn't take too long to get a new one, sucks being unable to use my Rift.

It probably happened since I plugged and unplugged my Rift many times as I was taking it to different locations to demo it to friends, but I wish they just had a way to purchase an extra cable or something without having to wait for support, as I am sure they are quite busy.