cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCS A10-C warthog on the Rift (looking for some help)

edguy1
Protege
In my view DCS D10-C is by far the best flight / combat sim I've experienced although the flight instruments can be difficult to read, hopefully the CV1 will help slightly when it finally arrives.

It's incredibly difficult with a steep learning curve but the experience it gives coupled with a rift , buttkicker and the 2 Thrustmaster warthog controllers simply blew me away, It really wakes you up on how PC's are leaps ahead of the consoles with this type of gaming.

So I'm pleading for some help for anyone who has the Thrustmaster Hotas &Thrust controllers who plays a A10C this on the Rift. Setting up the controls / views key maps are somewhat overwhelming my tiny brain it's literally taking days and I'm still nowhere near a tuned setup.

I really want to avoid using the keyboard if possible for obvious reasons the point and click can be a bit fiddly especially with the DK2, If anyone would be kind enough using the same set-up as myself and share their config files or voice attack profiles it would really give me a big start. The only thing I'm missing currently is pedals for yaw, not sure if this can be counteracted without purchasing a decent set of pedals, the MFG crosswinds spring to mind.

Any other tips please feel free to comment.

Cheers,
Ed.

7 REPLIES 7

NamelessPFG
Expert Protege
With the default TM Warthog mappings in DCS: A-10C, you should have three buttons unmapped:

-the stick paddle switch, which the A-10C lacks and is more of a holdover from their prior F-16C derived sticks
-the throttle slew control stick click-down
-the throttle mic switch hat center click

It may not seem like much, but then consider that you can use that paddle switch as a modifier in DCS, much like your keyboard Ctrl/Alt/Shift/Win keys, and your controls practically just doubled. Then you can use the mic switch click-down for Voice Attack push-to-talk.

I generally use the slew control click-down for re-centering since locking on is done via the TMS, but you could theoretically shift things so that the slew control becomes a mouse, the click-down's left-click and the mic hat center click is right-click.

As for predefined profiles, you're better off looking on SimHQ or the official Eagle Dynamics forums for those. I can't whip one up for you since I no longer have a TM Warthog setup and don't use Voice Attack, but I can at least suggest things to map.

One more thing: for authenticity's sake, you might want to change the stick's trim hat to behave as an actual trim control and not a POV panning hat, since head-tracking via the Rift gives you all the head-tracking you need.

Anonymous
Not applicable

edguy1 said:

In my view DCS D10-C is by far the best flight / combat sim I've experienced although the flight instruments can be difficult to read, hopefully the CV1 will help slightly when it finally arrives.

It's incredibly difficult with a steep learning curve but the experience it gives coupled with a rift , buttkicker and the 2 Thrustmaster warthog controllers simply blew me away, It really wakes you up on how PC's are leaps ahead of the consoles with this type of gaming.

So I'm pleading for some help for anyone who has the Thrustmaster Hotas &Thrust controllers who plays a A10C this on the Rift. Setting up the controls / views key maps are somewhat overwhelming my tiny brain it's literally taking days and I'm still nowhere near a tuned setup.

I really want to avoid using the keyboard if possible for obvious reasons the point and click can be a bit fiddly especially with the DK2, If anyone would be kind enough using the same set-up as myself and share their config files or voice attack profiles it would really give me a big start. The only thing I'm missing currently is pedals for yaw, not sure if this can be counteracted without purchasing a decent set of pedals, the MFG crosswinds spring to mind.

Any other tips please feel free to comment.

Cheers,
Ed.

Go to Eagle Dynamics Forums and you can go to AC-10 and find TM HOTAS Profiles I'm 100% sure. You will also get much better advice and help there than you would here. I also suggest familiarizing your self with the aircraft using your monitor. Than once your more experienced in the cockpit go to the rift.

mike1663
Honored Guest

With the default TM Warthog mappings in DCS: A-10C, you should have three buttons unmapped:

-the stick paddle switch, which the A-10C lacks and is more of a holdover from their prior F-16C derived sticks
-the throttle slew control stick click-down
-the throttle mic switch hat center click

It may not seem like much, but then consider that you can use that paddle switch as a modifier in DCS, much like your keyboard Ctrl/Alt/Shift/Win keys, and your controls practically just doubled. Then you can use the mic switch click-down for Voice Attack push-to-talk.

I generally use the slew control click-down for re-centering since locking on is done via the TMS, but you could theoretically shift things so that the slew control becomes a mouse, the click-down's left-click and the mic hat center click is right-click.

As for predefined profiles, you're better off looking on SimHQ or the official Eagle Dynamics forums for those. I can't whip one up for you since I no longer have a TM Warthog setup and don't use Voice Attack, but I can at least suggest things to map.

One more thing: for authenticity's sake, you might want to change the stick's trim hat to behave as an actual trim control and not a POV panning hat, since head-tracking via the Rift gives you all the head-tracking you need.

mike1663
Honored Guest
I'm just starting A-10 training in oculus rift and its mind boggling. I got the hotas warthog too. This is great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

mike1663 said:

I'm just starting A-10 training in oculus rift and its mind boggling. I got the hotas warthog too. This is great.

I have  been flying DCS for a number of years, and now that I have the Rift it is a whole new sim - absolutely unbelievable. Really DCS is the reason I got the Rift about a month ago.
 While I have not gone through the learning curve in the A-10C yet, I do fly both the KA-50 and the Spitfire, they are beautiful in the Rift.
I too have the Warthog setup along with the MFG Crosswind Pedals. I normally log a few hours in with DCS each week.

Also IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad will be adding Oculus support in March, a good WWII sim  that is a little less complex than DCS.

Greyman
Superstar
@edguy1 - if you are enjoying a10c, please do a search for VAICOM 2.0.  This is an addon to a piece of software called Voice Attack that basically allows you to speak to your wingman, ATC, JTAC et al.  If nothing else, it saves you having to take your rift off to press the F keys.  It really helps with immersion

Greyman
Superstar
Oh and I would really recommend the Crosswinds, but you could always use other buttons or a modified axis, in the meantime.  The a10c doesn't absolutely need the rudder in flight, but you will probably need something to control your direction when taxiing