cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the Setup Stopgaps?

PBartolovic
Explorer
Hello people!
I just got my Rift but unfortunatly my grafics card is not up to stuff and the setup process stops after I log in with the message to update my drivers (which there are none more current for my card).
Now I also don't have an Intel i5 and the tester is also complayining about my onboard USB3.

Do I have to assume that the setup process will stop another 2 times after I got a new grafics card?

With the plea for help and thanks in advance
Patrick
6 REPLIES 6

FX2K
Heroic Explorer
I don't have my CV1 yet, so basing this on Oculus Home with DK2.

My CPU doesn't exist in their 'catalog' of recommended or above spec cpu's so it reports my system is not capable.. but it most definitely is.  This doesn't block access to the content though, at least not yet.. and I hope it never does.

I also have an onboard usb 3 controller that is not supported and gives a warning / blocks access to loading content when attempting to use it.. so thats a potential block for you.. but it does work with usb 2 (yes, even the cv1).  Although I do have the recommended add on PCIe card too, so no issue for me going forward, although it still warns about the onboard one, but doesn't cause a block (because I'm not using it).

So with that in mind, there may be another block, but your CPU will likely not be it, however depending on the spec's of your potato.. it may not be a comfortable experience if your are seriously under spec.
CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014

PBartolovic
Explorer
That was most helpful, thanks!
The CPU is from AMD, as is the grafics card and is usable as far as I know with current games, so I hope the grafics card is the only thing that needs an upgrade for performerance reasons.
But good to know where to first put my money!
Thanks!

FX2K
Heroic Explorer
Have you tried running the steam VR test (and maybe even 3dmark), it's more comprehensive than the oculus catalog check, although it's still not perfect but should give you more of an idea on performance.

These are a screenshot of my tests

You can see that Oculus thinks my PC is not capable, yet steam says it passes with flying colours and my benchmark results are... well... way above the minimum oculus spec.

I hope oculus do away with their basic catalog name check's.. its simply not suitable for the PC market, where overclocking is a thing... IMO.
CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014

PBartolovic
Explorer
I don't have a problem with the performance just with the oculus setup.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Download the Compatibility Tool and upgrade what doesn't pass:
https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/
Especially with the USB controllers, if that's not compatible nothing will work.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

FX2K
Heroic Explorer

Download the Compatibility Tool and upgrade what doesn't pass:
https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/cart/
Especially with the USB controllers, if that's not compatible nothing will work.

@Cybereality

LOL, I agree with the USB controllers, but upgrade what doesn't pass...Are you serious? 
Just look at all of my screenshots above.. Nvidia see my CPU as equiv or better, Steam shows me 0 frames below 90, 0 frames CPU bound.. but hey, I need a new system because oculus catalog doesn't list my cpu.

If Oculus performed a proper system test rather than checking for matching names alone, then suggest upgrading what fails.. that I could understand... but it's not doing that, instead its saying
"If your names not down, you're not coming in."

I'm sorry but I disagree with your advice, in a big way!

Edit, we also don't know the spec's of @PBartolovic  system.
Edit 2, and I know it focuses on single core performance, but in reality the compat tool is nothing more than a name check.

Edit 3:  I will just leave this here also, and yes this is about my system more than it is PBartolovics but your advice would include me, since my system fails: i7 3790x vs i5 4590.. 
Avg. Single Core Mixed Speed is 1% less, but everything else is superior.  http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3970X-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4590/m6794vs2604