cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask for help about my Oculus DK2 doesn't work on the laptop!

an7306911
Sightseer
Hello,everyone!
    I want to use the Oculus DK2 on my laptop!First of all, I installed the RunTime 0.8.0.0 of Oculus.And then, updated the drivers for the graphics card.At last, I run the DemoScene of Oculus. Everything works fine,but the Oculus isn't displayed.The LED light is always orange.Please help me!Thank you !

Best!

My laptop configuration:
CPU:i7 HQ6700 2.6GHZ
Memory: 16GB
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 980M
Operating System: Windows 10

Oculus RunTime: 
Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.8.0.0-beta

6 REPLIES 6

MrPriest
Sightseer
I am not an expert, but I can give you my two cents after playing around with Oculus DK2 and a laptop.
Laptops are mostly just not suited for VR at the moment.

You see, the GPU (Nvidia, don't know how it is with others) uses a feature they seem to be proud of - "Optimus". It's a bad feature for VR, as from what I understand, it means that the HDMI connector is not directly connected to the GPU, which is bad for us.
Your GPU seems to be powerful however, you'd probably have an easier time than me (GTX950M).
I'll let you know if I manage to solve it.

an7306911
Sightseer

MrPriest said:

I am not an expert, but I can give you my two cents after playing around with Oculus DK2 and a laptop.
Laptops are mostly just not suited for VR at the moment.

You see, the GPU (Nvidia, don't know how it is with others) uses a feature they seem to be proud of - "Optimus". It's a bad feature for VR, as from what I understand, it means that the HDMI connector is not directly connected to the GPU, which is bad for us.
Your GPU seems to be powerful however, you'd probably have an easier time than me (GTX950M).
I'll let you know if I manage to solve it.

Thank you for your reply! I have two different brands of laptop.The old one worked fine with DK2.But the new one does not work.I doubt whether I misconfigured。

MrPriest
Sightseer
Oh? That's interesting, can you say what laptop and what runtime files did you use?
I also heard that some anti virus software can interfere with the Oculus installation, so if it's a new laptop, it might have a sucky stock anti-virus.

I am new with Oculus, but I am not new with computer stuff. Maybe I can see what differences there are with your machines.

an7306911
Sightseer

MrPriest said:

Oh? That's interesting, can you say what laptop and what runtime files did you use?
I also heard that some anti virus software can interfere with the Oculus installation, so if it's a new laptop, it might have a sucky stock anti-virus.

I am new with Oculus, but I am not new with computer stuff. Maybe I can see what differences there are with your machines.

I also wonder what the difference between them.The configuration of them is same. I use the runtime 0.8.0.0.

MrPriest
Sightseer
Same laptop? Same OS? No differences at all?

Felixm477
Expert Protege
is your laptop plugged into wall? some laptops will turn off the nvidia gpu and use the intel one when not plugged to a wall or if using a universal power cable with less wattage